The Student Room Group

Law Firm Insight Schemes for Non-Law First Years

Hey!

I am a first year studying History and German at Warwick. I know that I am interested in a career in commercial law in the future, and I would really like the opportunity to explore it more. However, I am lacking some knowledge about the Insight Schemes for first years. I'd really appreciate some answers for the following questions:

1) How competitive are the Insight Schemes at the top firms like Linklaters, Freshfields, Hogan Lovells....etc?
2) Will they be interested in a non-Law applicant? Basically, do I have a chance even though I don't currently study Law and have fairly limited knowledge of the subject in comparison to those who do study it?
3) How many can I apply for? At the moment my plan is to apply to as many as possible and see which ones I can get accepted for, as I really need to gain some insight into a legal career.
4) How should I best prepare myself for verbal reasoning tests, (and if I'm lucky interviews!), considering I am a non-Law student?

Thanks very much for the help! :smile:
Reply 1
1) In terms of getting the scheme, not that competitive since you're applying against a much smaller pool. In terms of converting it, it tends to be harder (lower conversion rate) compared to vacation schemes / training contract applications. However, on the whole, it's a easy path to secure an early TC.

2) Yes. Typically if you study languages or some sort of degree that gives you a natural 'edge' (like computer science, economics, etc), you're probably viewed as more competitive than your Law degree peers. Non-law students generally suffer from the lack of information (regarding applications and deadlines) since Law Students are more integrated in relevant extracurriculars, networks, etc.

3) You can apply for all. I'm not sure why this is a question.

4) Verbal Reasoning Tests and the like just require you to get practice in. There are many online services that provide free practice tests. Some firms have practice tests on their website. You can also pay for some if you really want.
Reply 2
Original post by Varis
1) In terms of getting the scheme, not that competitive since you're applying against a much smaller pool. In terms of converting it, it tends to be harder (lower conversion rate) compared to vacation schemes / training contract applications. However, on the whole, it's a easy path to secure an early TC.

2) Yes. Typically if you study languages or some sort of degree that gives you a natural 'edge' (like computer science, economics, etc), you're probably viewed as more competitive than your Law degree peers. Non-law students generally suffer from the lack of information (regarding applications and deadlines) since Law Students are more integrated in relevant extracurriculars, networks, etc.

3) You can apply for all. I'm not sure why this is a question.

4) Verbal Reasoning Tests and the like just require you to get practice in. There are many online services that provide free practice tests. Some firms have practice tests on their website. You can also pay for some if you really want.

Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it :smile: its relieving to hear I won't be at a disadvantage for not currently studying law!
Original post by e1412
Hey!

I am a first year studying History and German at Warwick. I know that I am interested in a career in commercial law in the future, and I would really like the opportunity to explore it more. However, I am lacking some knowledge about the Insight Schemes for first years. I'd really appreciate some answers for the following questions:

1) How competitive are the Insight Schemes at the top firms like Linklaters, Freshfields, Hogan Lovells....etc?
2) Will they be interested in a non-Law applicant? Basically, do I have a chance even though I don't currently study Law and have fairly limited knowledge of the subject in comparison to those who do study it?
3) How many can I apply for? At the moment my plan is to apply to as many as possible and see which ones I can get accepted for, as I really need to gain some insight into a legal career.
4) How should I best prepare myself for verbal reasoning tests, (and if I'm lucky interviews!), considering I am a non-Law student?

Thanks very much for the help! :smile:

Hiya :smile: I'm also a non-law student at Warwick (PAIS and Spanish) and did 7 first year schemes at law firms (and got 2 tc offers from them) so I can probably be of some help!

1) don't let yourself get into the mindset of competitiveness/a numbers game - focus on yourself it's the only thing you have control over :smile:

2) yes they are! On most schemes, I found the split law/non-law about 50/50 (maybe a few more law occasionally but that's only as they hear about the opportunities more through their faculties etc.). Also, you don't need much (if any) black letter legal knowledge to get on to these schemes.

3) Quality not quantity is key with these apps. I'm on a 4-year course so did my 7 over 1st and 2nd year. In second year I had a much more targeted approach and spent longer tailoring applications so I had a 100% success rate. First year I think I got 2 rejections and my apps for those 2 were generic and poorly written. Don't apply for loads at the expense of written style.

4) There's loads of Watson Glasers (the verbal reasoning firms use) online - do as many as you can as your scores really do improve with practice!

For interviews etc PM me about these as I could be here forever writing essays out on this. I'm always happy to help especially a fellow Warwick non-law so drop me a message for more of a chat! :smile: If you went to the Warwick law soc meet the 1st year schemers panel or the A&O or Clifford Chance evening events chances are we've met before!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending