Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys..... i have a question which im hoping someone could answer.

ive just recieved my second year results and didnt achieve a good grade, and failed a few modules. now i have the chance to resit them in september, but the results will be capped at 40.

the question is, if i decide to redo my year, either my actually doing all 12modules, or just the modules i failed in, is the year going to be capped at 40 also. if so i dont atually no what to go as that would mean i get a low 3rd for my second year hich will not help me one bit.

thanks,

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your university to be honest, where about are you studying? At my university resitting the year would be capped at 40. I know a coupl of people who did this last yar and both only took the moduls that they failed as well, rather than the full year.

ReputationRep:
    im studying at loughborough university.....i hope its different

ReputationRep:
    Also what course are you doing. I changed courses after my second year and so technically repeated my second year this year and my year isnt capped as it isnt classed as a resit. If you find that your repeat year is capped it might be an option to see if you can change to a slightly different degree programme

ReputationRep:
    hmm i dont think i have the chance to change course and also dont want to.... i just want a second chance at redoing the year, but if its capped at 40, theres no point is there

ReputationRep:
    try emailing your personal tutor, they should know about these things and will be able to give you an answer one way or another

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: thats the only way your gonna find out for sure as it differs for different courses and universities

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough I was wondering the same thing a couple of months ago. Chances are if you choose to repeat the year your modules will still be capped at 40% (as is the situation where I am) so it's best to just do the resits.

I'm not sure how your years are weighted, but for me the first year doesn't count, the second year is worth 25% and the third is worth 75%. So if your second year is capped at 40% you'll only (well, not only) need 67% in your final year to get 60% overall - a 2.1 (for me at least).

But like others have said, you'll have to check with your uni to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    If you do retakes, they're definitely capped at 40%. Not sure about repeating the year or a few modules in the following year. It would make sense that they would be capped too though! I would email your department or your personal tutor. Which department are you in btw?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.