The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing NQT year?

I completed my PGCE two years ago. I did find it difficult to manage the workload and my mentor on my second placement was hugely unsupportive and abusive. I managed to scrape through it and pass. This in itself was a huge achievement for me. I applied for teaching jobs and had a few interviews but was unsuccessful... I thought of this as a good thing as it enabled me to regain my confidence in the classroom so I went in to supply teaching.

The following year I applied for teaching posts again but, again, was unsuccessful. Since then I have still been supply teaching, but it's so unpredictable and I'm hardly making any money from it. Luckily I still live with my parents.

I enjoy supply teaching in certain schools but I feel that since my PGCE my heart hasn't really been in teaching. I'm now looking in to doing other things - I want a stable job and want to start up a small business on the side. I've never wanted the stress that full time teaching brings... I want a good work life balance and to be able to enjoy my weekends. The only reason I wanted to complete my NQT year was to then go in to supply teaching, whilst starting up this business on the side. As now I only have 3 years left of supply teaching (without having completed my NQT).

I can start applying for NQT jobs in other locations now to increase my chances, but I'm not sure if I'm better off just looking in to other things if my goal is to go in to supply teaching... i.e. would I be better off going for a TA role, which would offer more stability than supply teaching in the long term?
Original post by peacocksarecool
I completed my PGCE two years ago. I did find it difficult to manage the workload and my mentor on my second placement was hugely unsupportive and abusive. I managed to scrape through it and pass. This in itself was a huge achievement for me. I applied for teaching jobs and had a few interviews but was unsuccessful... I thought of this as a good thing as it enabled me to regain my confidence in the classroom so I went in to supply teaching.

The following year I applied for teaching posts again but, again, was unsuccessful. Since then I have still been supply teaching, but it's so unpredictable and I'm hardly making any money from it. Luckily I still live with my parents.

I enjoy supply teaching in certain schools but I feel that since my PGCE my heart hasn't really been in teaching. I'm now looking in to doing other things - I want a stable job and want to start up a small business on the side. I've never wanted the stress that full time teaching brings... I want a good work life balance and to be able to enjoy my weekends. The only reason I wanted to complete my NQT year was to then go in to supply teaching, whilst starting up this business on the side. As now I only have 3 years left of supply teaching (without having completed my NQT).

I can start applying for NQT jobs in other locations now to increase my chances, but I'm not sure if I'm better off just looking in to other things if my goal is to go in to supply teaching... i.e. would I be better off going for a TA role, which would offer more stability than supply teaching in the long term?

If there are schools you like/prefer working in, might it be worth asking to see if they think they'll have any vacancies come up soon? The answer might be no, but at least you'll know.

I've found my NQT so far so much better than the PGCE- it is tough, but the workload is different (way less paperwork) and you don't have someone constantly looking over your shoulder. You might find it helps you rediscover your passion for teaching.

There are sometimes pastoral roles in schools which are better paid than TA roles but don't involve classroom teaching. Might this sort of thing suit you?
Given the funding cuts I'm not sure how stable a TA position would be. Maybe better than supply but it's going to be a substantial pay cut as well.

Does supply not count towards your NQT?
Original post by Sceptical_John
Given the funding cuts I'm not sure how stable a TA position would be. Maybe better than supply but it's going to be a substantial pay cut as well.

Does supply not count towards your NQT?

AFIAK only if you're in the same school for at least a term, and someone in the school is happy to take on the role of your mentor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending