Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Your bedspace is made up of (other than your bed of course) a small bed-side unit type thing with a draw and little cupboard, 1 locker about the size of your normal wardrobe at home which is your 'civvie' locker and one larger locker with an extra top compartment which is your 'military'. The military locker must be setup as required for inspection each day, and will only contain kit issued to you laid out as explained to you by your flight staff. Your civvie locker is your own to do with as you like, to an extent, it still has to be neat, clean and dry, but other than the few exceptions (drugs, alcohol, open food, red bull etc) you may store in it what you wish.

So in a word... yes.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, that explains it! Becuase you hear of some items that can help through training that arnt on the kit list, so i thought that ther must be somewer to store things like that. Is ther any other items that arnt on the list, that can be very usefull, such as Nicer toilet role or something :P

ReputationRep:
    I found somewhere on here that it is recommended you take lucozade and chocolate for the nights where you need the energy boost and something to eat late at night?

Will there be much time to use a latop or anthing will there? I might take my ipod but that will do me seems as we have access to the internet don't we?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bother taking bottles of drink and sweets in your initial kit, yes it's a good idea to eat a certain amount of that stuff but better to buy it while you're there and save space in your bags. You'll have a '4th meal' every evening anyway, usually a bottle of lucozade and a flapjack bar or something along those lines, seeing as you eat around 5-6 o/clock and won't get to bed til' 11-1 a lot of the time you do need something to keep you going for those hours.

Free time after the day's activities depends on how quick you are at getting your kit done, as I've said before personally I worked solid from evening meal until at least 11 every single night. You'll have kit prep (ironing, sewing, labeling, folding), block jobs, homework, revision, GDT/Drill practice etc etc every night, regardless of the stage of the course you're at, assume you won't be spending any time on the net/watching movies other than weekends and you won't have any illusions. I think an mp3 player is a good thing to have as when you're on your own working away (ironing and block jobs in particular) it really helps keep your spirits up as the long hours go by. Laptop I really wouldn't bother with, maybe in your last 2 weeks but other than that they'll just be a distraction.

ReputationRep:
    That helps then I only used laptop as an example, i wouldnt take it as the 9 weeks away would be an escape from PC screens!! Im sure i read about people taking proplus with them? would this go down well with the NCO's?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it would not go down well at all. When I went through, Red bull and Pro plus were two items specifically mentioned on the list of things that you're banned from having in the blocks, lucozade or the odd can of fizzy drink fine, but nothing that's intended to be any kind of stimulant. Imagine how you'd end up if you started surviving on that stuff every night to get you through? Wouldn't be good.

ReputationRep:
    Another quick question. Now I have my Service number what will I need to add to my last name on the name labels? Is it the last 3 or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the last 3 digits, they're (I always presumed anyway) used in combination with your surname to make a unique identifier, since there will be people with the same surnames.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AC Bloggs)
    Nope, it would not go down well at all. When I went through, Red bull and Pro plus were two items specifically mentioned on the list of things that you're banned from having in the blocks, lucozade or the odd can of fizzy drink fine, but nothing that's intended to be any kind of stimulant. Imagine how you'd end up if you started surviving on that stuff every night to get you through? Wouldn't be good.
    I doubt they would want you buzzin' all night! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Certainly an element of that, but I think it's more a question of, if you use that kind of stuff one night to keep you going until your kit's done, you could quite easily end up doing it the same next night, then the next night, then the next etc etc. Next day during work you'll be totally dead and unable to do your job (i.e. training) anywhere near properly, so bye-bye to your flight and buddies, hello RDF.

You'll be hanging out as it is a lot of the time, especially in theory lessons, you really don't want all that chemical mess going on inside your body.

ReputationRep:
    Quick one. I am going don for PRE RTC on th 14th and 15th. Will I be allowed to go into the Spar to get some stuff of my kit list? I want to get a few selyvt (can't spell sorry) cloths to do my boots while I travel up on the train?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest they didn't have this gucci 'pre' recruit training when I came in, so while I'm not certain I'd guess you most likely are allowed in the shop, two points however:

1. Lad on my flight got in trouble for bulling his boots, unless they've changed the rule which I very much doubt (as it would make no sense) it's brush polish only for assault boots, you'll be doing enough bulling of your smart shoes anyway.

2. You'll only need 1 bulling cloth, I had the same one all through Halton and about 3 months in to Cosford, they can be used for quite a while. Also if you do run out of clean space on there you just bung it in the wash and hey presto (not with other clothes of course).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks AC.

I have my brushes and Kiwi and i'm gona take it down cause I only have 5 days to break in my boots so will brush on brush off on the train home then I can keep them on till I go.

So you say one cloth will be enough should be alot easier then. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Nice One, Bloggsy!

Take it from one very much in the know, as it were, that ProPlus and Red Bull are both specifically BANNED, I say again, BANNED, at RTS for precisely the reasons stated by AC Bloggs.

Also, whilst lap tops, personal DVD players etc are permitted, you won't get the chance to use them, especially in the first two and a half weeks or so, which just gives you the added headache of having to keep them secure. Remember, the RAF does have thieves unfortunately! A small boogie box which can be shared by the entire room is much better. There's nothing better for team building than extracting the urine out of your room mates taste in music... so long as you don't mind them doing the same to you the next night!

SC - I seem to remember mentioning to you that the boots were to be brush polished only (remember PB's five top tips?)! One thing to remember for everybody is ensure that the soles of the boots are clean, with no stones or muck in the treads. Do not put any polish on the soles! Whilst it may make them look good, you will then have to negotiate the nice shiny, polished floors of the hall, landings and stairs, which will, all of a sudden, have all the traction of an ice rink! Wouldn't want you going base-over-apex and winding up in hospital and then on RDF whilst you get fixed!

And finally...

Again, AC Bloggs is correct in stating that you will receive a fourth meal in the evening. This is normally collected straight after tea/dinner (call it what you wish!) and dished out in the block when you're all back. Generally it consists of a Nutri-Grain bar or flapjack and either Lucozade, milk or a milkshake type drink. Some people lap it up. Others will go to the NAAFI on their break and buy Haribo and other gubbins like that.

Anything else?

ReputationRep:
    Yes PapaBear you did tell me this a while back but I have it down on my list and I am struggling to find them in shops around here. Just make it easier and will save me having to worry about getting them on the 9 weeks. Which is getting ever closer.

Never realised there was that fourth meal. Thats not bad. Sure after the endless amounts of Ironing and sowing I will be one that laps it up.

Will beast my boots with Kiwi in the train on the way up home just to try and loosen them up and prevent me from getting blisters.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Whats RDF?

:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Recruit development flight, you fail/break yourself or get re-flighted in some way you'll be on there waiting for the next intake to catch up (providing you're fit to go back on to the training course), it's obviously populated by people all in the same situation. I never had to go back myself, but as far as I know it has a lot of similarities to being on your flight, you'll have inspections and kit/cleaning to do every day etc, just that since you're not actually doing the training, you'll get some free time during the day, although there are still jobs/activities for you to do of course.

ReputationRep:
    I am aware that female recruits need 15 denier, barely black NON-SHEER tights for RTS.

I havent found any yet!!!!!! Anyone any suggestions?

We also need pretty polly ones for parade? Does anyone know if these are also to be non-sheer? I have tried online for these but i can only see them in small.

Can anyone help?

x

ReputationRep:
    Not going to pretend I know the proper answer to this, but I remember someone asking the same question a long while back, and I think it was pointed out that it's essentially impossible to get the bang-on correct ones the kit list lists, not any more anyway. Ask the AFCO and if you're still uncertain get the closest you can, it's not like the CPLs will pick up your stuff and go "there's slightly too many threads per square inch in this material!". Funny image though, heh.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    As AC Bloggs suggests, it's not a matter of life and death, except perhaps on a formal parade. Get a few pairs of normal blackish tights for emergencies, and they get down to the NAAFI/SPAR as soon as you get on base and buy whatever they have there.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.