Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got Selvyt cloths off ebay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxRAFNurse2bxx)
    I am aware that female recruits need 15 denier, barely black NON-SHEER tights for RTS.

I havent found any yet!!!!!! Anyone any suggestions?

We also need pretty polly ones for parade? Does anyone know if these are also to be non-sheer? I have tried online for these but i can only see them in small.

Can anyone help?

x
    Don't worry too much as to the brand of tights you get. As long as they're 15 denier, barely black you won't go far wrong. During your time at RTS you won't be wearing them anyway, but they will have to be placed out on your bed for the full kit inspection on Day 56. It'll only be when/if you go to ADF that you may be able to wear skirts and tights.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Ok so a few more questions re; the kit list!

(1)
    I read M!ke's old threads re; large plastic bags to fit fleeces etc for field exercises. I know M!ke, he went to RTS a while ago though, (he has his commission now) and wondered if anyone who has been recently has had to buy these/bergan waterproofs?
    There is no mention of them on the kitlist but... i want to be prepared.

(2)

Anyone know where to get a plastic spray water bottle? Ive tried my local supermarkets/pounds shops.. can't find one?

(3)

Ok.. Lint rollers i have, what on earth is a scrubbing brush and a clothes brush? (I haven't googled yet before people start shouting at me!) I am guessing people also buying their kit will either know what they are or want to know?

(4)

Name Tags - the list i have says they have to be blank, however, i have read that others have had the pre-printed with service numbers etc? Are we aloud to do this? SURNAME001 ?? Are you aloud iron-ons that you can add a few stitcches to as other threads have suggested? And like on IOT, should you label every item with similar stickers? (eg, phone charger, phone etc)?

(5)

Dark T-Shirts and Dark Shorts - finding it difficult to find any without small brands on them. What are these for? What does the neckline have to be like/does it matter?

(6)

Swimming Costume - Any colour pref? Theres no mention but i know on IOT it needs to be black?

(7)

For us ladies on the course there is no mention of socks on my list? Are we provided with all socks? e.g for PT etc?

All i can think of for now. Any answers would be much appreciated. Any other comments won't!

ReputationRep:
    I'll answer what I can.

I read M!ke's old threads re; large plastic bags to fit fleeces etc for field exercises. I know M!ke, he went to RTS a while ago though, (he has his commission now) and wondered if anyone who has been recently has had to buy these/bergan waterproofs?
    Go down to the supermarket the weekend before CPT week and buy a load of plastic food bags in various sizes, a black bin bag works perfectly as a bergen liner.

Anyone know where to get a plastic spray water bottle? Ive tried my local supermarkets/pounds shops.. can't find one?
    Try a garden centre, otherwise the spray on your iron does just the same job.

Ok.. Lint rollers i have, what on earth is a scrubbing brush and a clothes brush? (I haven't googled yet before people start shouting at me!) I am guessing people also buying their kit will either know what they are or want to know?
    Scrubbing brush, just a decent size brush with hard bristles, comes in useful for cleaning your boots and block jobs, wouldn't bother with a clothes brush if you've got a roller.

Name Tags - the list i have says they have to be blank, however, i have read that others have had the pre-printed with service numbers etc? Are we aloud to do this? SURNAME001 ?? Are you aloud iron-ons that you can add a few stitcches to as other threads have suggested? And like on IOT, should you label every item with similar stickers? (eg, phone charger, phone etc)?
    Iron-ons never stick anyway, get them with your surname only in block capital black lettering and then write your last 3 on when you find it out.

Dark T-Shirts and Dark Shorts - finding it difficult to find any without small brands on them. What are these for? What does the neckline have to be like/does it matter?
    Various uses, dark t-shirts for example are good as spares on CPT, also makes sense to have a set of cheap t-shirt/shorts just for doing block jobs in. Try places like M&S/BHS/Primark for plain stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Ive just spoken to M!ke re; dry bags anyway. He also suggested garden bags as bergan covers.

x

ReputationRep:
    Spotted this on youtube that some might find helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChaDHdN2xx0

ReputationRep:
    Ref food bags:

Do not, I say again Do not try to get away with branded (Tesco, Safeway etc) carrier bags. They are designed to keep shopping in, not water out! Pedal bin liners, dustbin liners, freezer bags for individual pieces of underwear (most important in my book!), anything waterproof!

If you all get together and buy say 20 bin liners, 100 freezer bags etc, otherwise you will end up with more bags than baggage!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I should've specified the re-sealable type that you press together at the top. Carrier bags in the shopping sense are most defintiely not any use what-so-ever.

ReputationRep:
    so far i have bought small freezer re-sealable bags, large ones, garden bags and i am going to get some sort of bergan waterproof.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EezerGoode)
    Spotted this on youtube that some might find helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChaDHdN2xx0
    Lol that is very funny!

'for some reason a pack of various sized stencils!' :p: hmmmm? i wonder?

'padlocks with all the keys' :eek: im sure it says dont bring ones with keys!

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: - for no reason other than that i LOVE that icon!

ReputationRep:
    Lol that is very funny!

'for some reason a pack of various sized stencils!' :p: hmmmm? i wonder?

'padlocks with all the keys' :eek: im sure it says dont bring ones with keys!

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: - for no reason other than that i LOVE that icon!

Hiya, I'm sure you've said somewhere, but what date do you go?

ReputationRep:
    Well.... with nursing being bloody akward (go on someone.. correct my spelling you know you want to...) and different to everyone else, i dont have my dates yet but i am told by the nursing team November. I should find out my dates on tuesday so ill let you know.

I have most of my kit though, just a few things to get really. Fitness needs a bit more work though. My running in particular.

I have now stopped nightshift etc and got myself a little 9-5 temping job for the next few weeks which im hoping will give me more time for exercising etc and give me more of a routine so i am hoping i can get up to scratch in time for RTS!

x

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to let us know when you get your dates.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Spray Bottle:
    I just brought a bottle of shower cleaner from asda, cost me 72p and just rinsed it out, probably cheaper than any spary bottle form a garden centre.

Plain t-shirts:
    Brought my plain t-shirts yesterday form H&M, plain roundneck in dark colours, usually have loads to choose from think it cost me £3.50.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so a few more questions re; the kit list!

Swimming Costume - Any colour pref? Theres no mention but i know on IOT it needs to be black?

(7)

For us ladies on the course there is no mention of socks on my list? Are we provided with all socks? e.g for PT etc?

All i can think of for now. Any answers would be much appreciated. Any other comments won't!
    It doesn't matter what colour your cossie is, so long as it isn't three pieces of tiny material tied up with shoe laces! As for socks, bring a decent number of pairs for use in the block in the evenings and when you get a weekend off. You will be issued with at least nine pairs of socks (three thick black woolly pairs to wear with boots, three thin black woolly ones to wear with shoes and three white sports type for PT) to wear with uniform.

Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaBear)
    It doesn't matter what colour your cossie is, so long as it isn't three pieces of tiny material tied up with shoe laces! As for socks, bring a decent number of pairs for use in the block in the evenings and when you get a weekend off. You will be issued with at least nine pairs of socks (three thick black woolly pairs to wear with boots, three thin black woolly ones to wear with shoes and three white sports type for PT) to wear with uniform.

Does that help?
    Yes thanks!

Oh dear.. you mean we have to sew our names on NINE pairs of socks? Maybe i should get some practise in!! What kind of Stitching is required? I cannot remember the last time i used needle and thread!! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaBear)
    It doesn't matter what colour your cossie is, so long as it isn't three pieces of tiny material tied up with shoe laces!
    Don't go telling them that!

ReputationRep:
    Yes thanks!

Oh dear.. you mean we have to sew our names on NINE pairs of socks? Maybe i should get some practise in!! What kind of Stitching is required? I cannot remember the last time i used needle and thread!! :cool:
    Call yourself a nurse!?! :woo:

Yes, you have to put one label per sock, showing your surname and last three digits of your service number. The recommended method is overstich as it is harder to pull out than running stitch. Don't panic too much as you will be shown how when you get here. Just try not to to sew your socks together. Believe it or not, it happens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AC Bloggs)
    Don't go telling them that!
    Behave!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.