Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. i just want to be as organised as I can be because i am coming so far. when i have weekends off i won't neccessarily know where to go to pick up bits n pieces.

anyway.. im not going for a while. but if anyone can think of items that arent on the list that will be useful, gimmie a shout

x

ReputationRep:
    Don't take the comments as a put down or anything, don't let anyone dis-courage your enthusiasm, you're going to need all the positive'ness you can muster at RTS.

But don't worry about being able to get stuff while you're down there, the NAAFI shop has more than enough years of experience to know what recruits are going to need to buy (which is mostly crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks of course..) and there's also a big supermarket within pretty much walking distance if memory serves, there's certainly a bus or something, anyway you'll be recruit fit you can just run it if it's too far to walk.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me if you are aloud to take a kettle and keep it in your civvy locker?
    maybe an easier question is; what is banned?

ReputationRep:
    My flight had a sitting room downstairs with a kettle always plugged in for everyone to use, not sure how many blocks have that now but probably a few I'd think. I wouldn't recommend trying to make tea/coffee/chocolate in your bedspace to be honest, there's machines that pump out decent stuff in the mess, and personally I wouldn't ever risk spilling stuff all over your carpet/furniture/bedding/kit, wouldn't work out well.

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking more of a hot water bottle!

big kid! haha

ReputationRep:
    You'll have more thick, itchy woolen bed sheets than you know what to do with, I assure you you won't go cold. Also, contrary to what some people might think, you do actually get heating in the barrack blocks. Personally I had nothing but cold running water in mine for the first 2 weeks of training, but that was just the fact the buildings were all constructed on order of Queen Victoria, not a punishment or anything. Flight staff however takes notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AC Bloggs)
    You'll have more thick, itchy woolen bed sheets than you know what to do with, I assure you you won't go cold. Also, contrary to what some people might think, you do actually get heating in the barrack blocks. Personally I had nothing but cold running water in mine for the first 2 weeks of training, but that was just the fact the buildings were all constructed on order of Queen Victoria, not a punishment or anything. Flight staff however takes notes.
    Bloggsy, I hope by that last comment you mean that the Flight Staff do their best to get it fixed when informed that there is a problem, and not as a warning for the Flight Staff to get their thumbs out their bums and their brains out of neutral.

Please remember, the impossible the Flight Staff can do at once... miracles take a little longer! If the guys and girls in the blocks don't tell them there's a problem, how do they know it needs fixing?

Answers, on a postcard please, to British Airways, Ingrams Drive, Reditch!

ReputationRep:
    This sort of thing is why I have such a love/hate thing with forums. The actual implication was that staff should try shutting off the hot water in the block if their flight messed around too much since I think it would get everyone in line pretty damn sharpish. Presumably however that sort of thing isn't really allowed now-a-days so it wasn't an entirely serious comment, H&S would be up in arms!

In all fairness, when the water problem did happen to my flight, it was reported extremely quickly by our Corporal, it was only the civvie contractors (i.e. weak link in the chain) that took a little while to get it fixed.

ReputationRep:
    I wholeheartedly agree with your first line. It is very difficult to judge irony and sarcasm in an e mail, unless you use the emoticon smily thingys (which you cannot do if you post a quick reply :-)) The only neg rep I have earned was when I joked that Sandhurst students may have difficulty in finding their way back to college after a weekend off! I was called a t*t!

Anyway, the block heating came on on 1 Oct - we're all toastie!

ReputationRep:
    There must be an Air Chief Marshal somewhere with a big panel of buttons and dials, one labelled 'RAF Temperature' which he turns up as soon as midnight ticks over from September 30th to October 1st.

ReputationRep:
    Heating's off again!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ours was off all weekend, back now though; was horrible getting up this morning but its' beautifully toasty in the block now. The strange thing I always found with the Halton barrack blocks (I was up the side near to the NAAFI shop and mess) was that no matter the weather, heating setting or number of windows left open, the temperature always seemed to stay the exact same inside. Must've been the 4 foot thick walls or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannibal Smith)
    Heating's off again!
    lmao!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AC Bloggs)
    This sort of thing is why I have such a love/hate thing with forums. The actual implication was that staff should try shutting off the hot water in the block if their flight messed around too much since I think it would get everyone in line pretty damn sharpish. Presumably however that sort of thing isn't really allowed now-a-days so it wasn't an entirely serious comment, H&S would be up in arms!

In all fairness, when the water problem did happen to my flight, it was reported extremely quickly by our Corporal, it was only the civvie contractors (i.e. weak link in the chain) that took a little while to get it fixed.
    My apologies AC Bloggs! I do appreciate your thinking now I know what angle you're approaching this from. :yep: In all honesty with you, I don't think it was ever allowed, even back when I joined up.

Hannibal...? Have you got a minute...?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any suggestions for a good ironing board to take, was looking around and its hard to tell which ones will give a good surface to iron on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaBear)
    My apologies AC Bloggs! I do appreciate your thinking now I know what angle you're approaching this from. :yep: In all honesty with you, I don't think it was ever allowed, even back when I joined up.
    Shhh... You're suppose to tell all the new'uns about how 'ard it were back 'int day.

I can't really talk yet to be honest, I joined very shortly after they changed it to taking the bus to and from GDT rather than marching.

(Original post by Dsheeran)
    Anyone got any suggestions for a good ironing board to take, was looking around and its hard to tell which ones will give a good surface to iron on.
    The board doesn't matter too much, they're mostly the same, long as it isn't made of cheese and cost 99p you should be alright. The trick is to fit it with 2 covers, that stops the pattern of the metal mesh coming through all over your freshly pressed shirt.

ReputationRep:
    What casual clothes did yous take to Halton basic training?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.