The Student Room Group

Quiting apprenticeship scheme for university

Hey guys, I'm a student in Year 13 taking a Gap year and going to uni the following year, during my Gap year I want to be working and saving money full time, so I wish to join some sort of internship/apprenticeship program for 1 year, Is it possible to join an apprenticeship scheme and quit after 1 year to go to university?
Highly appreciated thanks.
Original post by Taief Rahman
Hey guys, I'm a student in Year 13 taking a Gap year and going to uni the following year, during my Gap year I want to be working and saving money full time, so I wish to join some sort of internship/apprenticeship program for 1 year, Is it possible to join an apprenticeship scheme and quit after 1 year to go to university?
Highly appreciated thanks.

Hi there,

It's great that you want to spend your gap year gaining work experience and saving money, that's a wise way to spend it.

In terms of apprenticeships, there are different levels that last different amounts of time. The lowest level is intermediate and they usually last one year, other, higher level apprenticeships last longer because they require more study. If you did a one year intermediate apprenticeship, you'd have earned money, come out with a qualification and it would look good on your CV.

If you chose to do a longer one but quit after a year, there's nothing to stop you doing this, but it might not look great on your CV that you quit before completing it.

So, while it's possible to do a longer one and quit after a year, it would probably be better all round to do one that only lasts a year in the first place. If you want to look for apprenticeship opportunities in your area, you can use the Gov website...

https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch

Best of luck - Mark
it can be done, but you will have to pay the company most likely. with accounting for example they will pay for your tuition, exams, certificates etc.. and they make you pay them if you leave early

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending