Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best student city's in the UK Watch

• View Poll Results: Whats the best student city in the UK?
    Manchester
    25.66%
    Leeds
    17.36%
    Newcastle
    22.64%
    Nottingham
    14.34%
    Sheffield
    11.32%
    Cardiff
    8.68%
    St. Andrews
    2.64%
    Edinburgh
    10.94%

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i allready did a poll on this, but that was just restricted to England. So i'v took the most popular English ones and put them with a few suggestions from Scotland and Wales. Which is the best city for students? VOTE!

Also, any suggestions on A) The best 'Student city's' and B) The tightest communitys i.e where everyone knows everyone.

Thaaanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    Plural of any word ending in -y is -ies, so 'cities' and 'communities', and you don't use apostrophes in plurals.

Is a poll coming?

ReputationRep:
    you're only likely to find the 'everyone knows everyone' atmosphere in st andrews from those choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    Plural of any word ending in -y is -ies, so 'cities' and 'communities', and you don't use apostrophes in plurals.

Is a poll coming?
    I hate English :mad: can you tell? poll's up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luk333)
    I hate English :mad: can you tell? poll's up!
    Ahh sorry, I didn't see your location

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    you're only likely to find the 'everyone knows everyone' atmosphere in st andrews from those choices.
    Any suggestions on others would be greatly appreciated! thanx!

ReputationRep:
    manchester is my favourite from the options you've provided. there's 2 universities in the city centre (well, thereabouts) and one slightly further out in salford, so there's thousands and thousands of students in the city. there's tons of stuff to do in manchester during the day and the nightlife is brilliant. the only thing is, is that if you're looking for a community where everyone knows everyone else, manchester probably isn't the place for you because the accommodation and university buildings are spread out, so the atmosphere there isn't particularly personal. that said, it's an amazing place!

leeds is also very good, unlike manchester all of the university buildings are together in the same place, it's sort of like a campus within a city. like manchester, there's thousands of students in leeds. i was there yesterday looking around and i really liked the city itself, the transport seemed very efficient so it will be easy for you to get around, and the city centre had lots of shopping and nightlife opportunities.

from the others, i've only been to edinburgh but i don't really know anything about the uni or the opportunities for students there. i'm assuming that they're all very good for students though. anyway, hope i helped

ReputationRep:
    According to this poll Newcastle's the best student city to live in

http://media.accommodationforstudent...ase.asp?id=298

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    manchester is my favourite from the options you've provided. there's 2 universities in the city centre (well, thereabouts) and one slightly further out in salford, so there's thousands and thousands of students in the city. there's tons of stuff to do in manchester during the day and the nightlife is brilliant. the only thing is, is that if you're looking for a community where everyone knows everyone else, manchester probably isn't the place for you because the accommodation and university buildings are spread out, so the atmosphere there isn't particularly personal. that said, it's an amazing place!

leeds is also very good, unlike manchester all of the university buildings are together in the same place, it's sort of like a campus within a city. like manchester, there's thousands of students in leeds. i was there yesterday looking around and i really liked the city itself, the transport seemed very efficient so it will be easy for you to get around, and the city centre had lots of shopping and nightlife opportunities.

from the others, i've only been to edinburgh but i don't really know anything about the uni or the opportunities for students there. i'm assuming that they're all very good for students though. anyway, hope i helped
    Yes you have thanks. Is there anywhere like manchester, with great night life etc, squeezed into a great community like St. Andrews? thats asking alot, but whats the closest you get to that?

ReputationRep:
    It's hard for anyone to say because we only really have experience of our own city, and everyone will be biased towards their own. Tightest community would be St Andrews, but you'd find good night-life in most cities. I don't know if you can have both. If you want night-life go to a city uni, you'll get to know plenty of people even if you don't know everyone.

ReputationRep:
    To put the case forward for Newcastle again (although now I can also include Cardiff)

As a student city you really need to find somewhere that does just have great nightlife and shopping, but somewhere which is easy to get around, offers a fairly low cost of living, is friendly (no town v. gown factor) in a good, clean environment.

Newcastle and Cardiff fufill this criteria.

Newcastle is a vibrant and unique city that's well known for being friendly and welcoming. It has two universities (one major leading uni in Newcastle and one top, progressive ex-poly in Northumbria - so quite a large student population) but is a great size. It has a compact city centre (very easy to get around in) but isn't so small that it feels as if students may dominate the city. It's also not large. That means it doesn't feel impersonal and you don't feel lost.

Newcastle's nightlife is legendary. Recently voted by students as the top student city, often voted top party city in the country and even in the top ten of the world. If you like clubs and bars then there's no better. From the city centre, Bigg Market (no my sort of place but, nevermind) and the gentrified quayside. It has been descrived time and time again as being electyfying. That said it could offer more outside of the clubbing scene. It does have a good range of restaurants but its cultural scene and facilities, although great, aren't "world class". It can match any city in the country though, certainly outside London, as a cultural centre. The Theatre Royal is particularly impressive (as is the Sage music centre - technically Gateshead). A short Metro ride away and, in Sunderland, there's the Empire Theatre (the largest theatre in the "north" and the only one capable of hosting full West end shows).

Newcastle also has a thriving, growing gay scene.

In terms of shopping then it offers the normal big name shops in the city centre. There's also the MetroCentre ten minutes away by bus, the largest shopping centre in Europe/EU. That said, it's still nothing that other shops don't really offer (after all, all city centres offer pretty much the same these day. The Metrocentre is probably the best shopping centre I've been to but it sure does like its browns and beiges). Newcastle could do with more independent shops, though. As with most cities its seen a number close (including a couple of good music shops )

Its music scene is so-so. For a major city it has never really had a massive range of music venues. You have the Carling Academy now, plus the Sage (for classical, opera, folk, jazz, pop etc.), the arena, two student unions (Northumbria doesn't get as many gigs now, after the academy opened), the city hall and a few smaller venues. There's a decent local scene and more local-type venues. There's also the annual music festival at the quayside each summer (was free, now they charge - still quite cheap though and is growing). All in all not bad, but not great.

In terms of the environment the city offers some of the cleanest air and is also quite green with a few coty parks (not bad for a compact city). It also has fine Georgian and Victorian architecture. That said, it's not always pleasent walkinga round and appreciating this architecture. It can be quite noisy (compact city centre, lots of traffic, few major pedestrianised areas). Newcastle also serves as a good base for exploring the countyside of the region. It offers some of the finest, most tranquil countryside and great heritage - fantasic castles and historical monunments including two world heritage sites, the 2,000 year old Hadrian's Wall and also Durham castle and cathedral. Lovely market towns in Northumberland as well as some decent coast, not Tynemouth etc. the areas of the coast most popular with students and easily reached by metro, but also Northumberland's and east Durham's unique coast.

Also, importantly for a student city, Newcastle offers amongst the lowest cost of living in the country. With accomodation at a decent price, and a compact city centre (reducing on communiting costs) a few nights out, especially during the weeks, can be more than reasonable.

Cardiff is young (as a capital city) and sure of itself. At first it may seem a little sterile but, look beyoend that and there's a fantasic, confident city. It also offers a decent student population and the city is also fairly compact.

Cardiff arguably hs a more balanced nightlife scene that Newcastle and it is, in my opinion, underrated (seems strange saying that about a capital city but I think its true). Although Newcastle has its gentrified Quayside, Cardiff has its redeveloped bay area which offes small art venues. The Bay is a good vocal point for bars and nightlife and its growing but there are many other parts of the city. All of these seem to offer a greater range than Newcastle.

In terms of music it may not get the major bands quite as regularly as Newcastle does (then again, Newcastle gets missed out fairly often). It may not have produced or been the home of as many famous bands or acts as Newcastle (which, compared to Liverpool or Manchester, isn't stellar in this regard) it does have a large music scene with a fair number of. There's also the Millennium stadium where, along with sport, you're guarenteed a few major music events during each year. Being the base of the National Opera and BBC Orechestra of Wales its certainly not limited.

Shopping-wise Cardiff also has impressive retail venues. It may not have a shopping centre to match the size of the MetroCentre but it does have three quite major shopping areas. It's boutiques and Victorian shopping centres also have that little bit more of a character about them.

Cardiff's a very green city and has extensive parks, all more impressive than Newcastle's (not including Newcastle's Jesmond Dene, techinically not in the city centre). I think 10% of the city is parkland with most of them well maintained. It can be quite stunning aesthetically with old and new together. Cardiff ercastle and, importantly for a student of the university, the neo-classical civic centre is stunning.

Cardiff comes close to matching Newcastle in cost of living, it certainly still ranks as one of the cheapest cities. Its university accomodation was fairly reasonable (last I checked) and private accomodation was no more expensive than average.

In terms of deciding between the two it's a hard one. Most rave about Newcastle's nightlife and look at me as if I'm mad when I say I don't rate it so highly (amongst the best in the world?) but its music scene is growing and does have the cost of living. Cardiff, I feel, is a slightly more pleasent city to spend extended lengths of time in (not that either are unpleasent) and more balanced, nightlife wise. I think Newcastle may just edge it for me (for the countryside nd hertiage it offers). But, if this is no concern to you (which it probably isn't) I think they're evenly matched.

But, that said, I do highly rate Manchester and Edinburgh (great capital city, fantastic archtecture and history, could do with being a little cheaper) also. Never experienced Leeds, Nottingham has a few decent music venues but I've never really thought much of it. Sheffield is a very underwhelming city architecturally. Leeds is certainly growing in reputation. I still feel that these cities, Sheffield and Manchester in particular, don't really offer the "closeness" that the OP is wanting. This may be a bit of an unfair criticism. St Andrews offers this (as too would Durham) but, although the town offers the sort of environment that would appeal to me, it isn't for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a feeling this will be a close one! Newcastle and Edinburgh for me. Lively, historic and personal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at university in Cardiff and find it to be very compact, but not so compact that you get bored. Cathays (the student area) feels very safe, and I've always found students (and members of the public) very approachable.

Accommodation is very cheap, as well as the cost of things generally (especially when you consider it's a capital city). It's also nice to have the bay, as this feels more grown up (less 'studenty') so it's nice to go for birthday meals etc.

If there's anything specific you want to ask about Cardiff fire away
    x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate03)
    I'm at university in Cardiff and find it to be very compact, but not so compact that you get bored. Cathays (the student area) feels very safe, and I've always found students (and members of the public) very approachable.

Accommodation is very cheap, as well as the cost of things generally (especially when you consider it's a capital city). It's also nice to have the bay, as this feels more grown up (less 'studenty') so it's nice to go for birthday meals etc.

If there's anything specific you want to ask about Cardiff fire away
    x.
    Woo hoo! Cardiff

It's good to see Cardiff doing fairly well, now that it's not Anglo-biased Still thought Newcastle would be doing a bit better. Seems TSR users don't rate it as highly as others in the country (and, indeed, others outside the country).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Woo hoo! Cardiff

It's good to see Cardiff doing fairly well, now that it's not Anglo-biased Still thought Newcastle would be doing a bit better. Seems TSR users don't rate it as highly as others in the country (and, indeed, others outside the country).
    Do you know Cardiff well? You seem to know a lot about it I always like Newcastle, it's a nice place and the people are very friendly, but I wouldn't choose it over Cardiff to go to uni (all personal preference though, my friends that go there love it, and whenever I go there it's very appealing).
    x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate03)
    Do you know Cardiff well?
    Not exceptionally well. I've only been there once (I'll be going back next month to see R.E.M and spend a few days hanging around).

I'd like to go to Cardiff though, ideally to do a second bachelor's (which, of course, would be very expensive) or a master's. Chances are that, if I only do a master's, it would be at Reading or the Royal Agricultural College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Not exceptionally well. I've only been there once (I'll be going back next month to see R.E.M and spend a few days hanging around).

I'd like to go to Cardiff though, ideally to do a second bachelor's (which, of course, would be very expensive) or a master's. Chances are that, if I only do a master's, it would be at Reading or the Royal Agricultural College
    Why wouldn't it be at Cardiff? Very jealous of the R.E.M concert going too :p:
    x.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine all of those to be good. Never heard of St Andrews though.

ReputationRep:
    St. Andrews? It's not a city. It's barely even a town. It's a University next to a golf course.

I suppose it'd be great if you really, really love golf...

I'd say Edinburgh, Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol and Newcastle would be my top 5.

ReputationRep:
    Why are London, Cambridge and Oxford omitted? Surely they'd be contenders.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.