Is Witcher 3 as good as people say? Watch

ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it worth my time? I briefly played abit today and I use the word “played” lightly as I skipped every cutscene and all the talking as I wanted to get a quick insight look into the gameplay. It feels like one of those games you have to dedicate your life to, to enjoy it.
Last edited by ThuggerThugger; 1 month ago
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, it's f*cking amazing man
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by JoshDarnIt_2.0)
Yes, it's f*cking amazing man
Better be
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's a reason pretty much everybody says it's one of the best RPGs ever made, especially if you're only talking about Western RPGS
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s close to a masterpiece. The effort they put in to the quests is astounding.

Give it a proper try, don’t skip any dialogue.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
It’s close to a masterpiece. The effort they put in to the quests is astounding.

Give it a proper try, don’t skip any dialogue.
Iyt I will, isit one of those games you gotta but 100hrs in tho?
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's very good, but the story won't make much sense unless you go on youtube or play 1 + 2 ( or read the book or even watched the new TV show ); both of which are dated and a shadow of how good 3 is.

People enjoy its plot and lore, which is rich; thanks to it coming from well written long books. The RPG element is amazing, much random loot, equipment, builds, skills ect . so good story and mechanics. graphic were amazing for its time, still great.

what people mostly liked, including me was the combat. At the hardest dif, you pretty much die in one hit ( 2 on second hardest ) throughout the game and at no time are you really OP, even late into the game I had to run away from enemies since i knew i have 0 chance to kill them... most other games even on the hardest diff, ill be heavily OP after 10-20 hours. Its decent long as well, overall if you have 100-200 hours to kill, its a very good game to play.
Last edited by rimstone; 1 month ago
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's awesome, one of those games where paying attention to the story actually enhances it though.
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
YES its something that you will have to put a lot of time into.

This is because the story, world/character building and lore is just so magnetic (never midn the awesome gameplay!) you kinda just get stuck and start bashing it.

No doubt it will take a lot of your time. It could be argued "all you need is good time management" but its honestly a high only the last of us managed to get close to.

If you are not into fantasy/RPG, it doesn;t neccesarily mean you won't be into this. Two of my friends are filthy casuals that have only ever heard of FPS's, but they are really into the Witcher now after watching the Netflix series. Same can't be said for everyone though, some people just despise the genre. Their loss
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rimstone)
It's very good, but the story won't make much sense unless you go on youtube or play 1 + 2 ( or read the book or even watched the new TV show ); both of which are dated and a shadow of how good 3 is.

People enjoy its plot and lore, which is rich; thanks to it coming from well written long books. The RPG element is amazing, much random loot, equipment, builds, skills ect . so good story and mechanics. graphic were amazing for its time, still great.

what people mostly liked, including me was the combat. At the hardest dif, you pretty much die in one hit ( 2 on second hardest ) throughout the game and at no time are you really OP, even late into the game I had to run away from enemies since i knew i have 0 chance to kill them... most other games even on the hardest diff, ill be heavily OP after 10-20 hours. Its decent long as well, overall if you have 100-200 hours to kill, its a very good game to play.
I played it in summer of 2018 without any prior knowledge of the world and it was fine to understand, but I would recommend that people look for some videos on basic lore. The story will mean much more if you understand the locations and organisations to some degree.

I found the second hardest really easy and actually thought I was on the easy one. Using oils, bombs, potions and signs correctly makes simple work of everything.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlwaysBroke.)
YES its something that you will have to put a lot of time into.

This is because the story, world/character building and lore is just so magnetic (never midn the awesome gameplay!) you kinda just get stuck and start bashing it.

No doubt it will take a lot of your time. It could be argued "all you need is good time management" but its honestly a high only the last of us managed to get close to.

If you are not into fantasy/RPG, it doesn;t neccesarily mean you won't be into this. Two of my friends are filthy casuals that have only ever heard of FPS's, but they are really into the Witcher now after watching the Netflix series. Same can't be said for everyone though, some people just despise the genre. Their loss
I will give it a good go, not a great time for me right now as I am studying for some exam I need to do and just super busy but its one of the games on xbox Game pass
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, but it’s enjoyable. Unlike most games they didn’t release something that’s over in an hour, they really out in the effort to create a game, not some multiplayer crap with a few stories attached. It’s so immersive that you don’t realise how much time you sink in. I’m currently on a rerun of the trilogy because I hadn’t played W1&2 before. It’s a little like the mass effect trilogy in terms of how good it is, but W3 is far above ME3.
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
I played it in summer of 2018 without any prior knowledge of the world and it was fine to understand, but I would recommend that people look for some videos on basic lore. The story will mean much more if you understand the locations and organisations to some degree.

I found the second hardest really easy and actually thought I was on the easy one. Using oils, bombs, potions and signs correctly makes simple work of everything.
I only played it on the hardest and before you have the resolve skill, which turns adrenaline into health, you/I died all the time; one hit death is brutal, esp if you go for a glass cannon that has to take at least on hit ( which you can do with quen ); unless ofc you wanna dodge attack for 3 mins for every battle. the first 5 hours of the game I didn't use any potions since I didn't know meditating regains them.. I only used food to heal, which made the game even harder .

up until 100-150 hours into the game, the edge of the map is always filled with high lvl monster that you can't fight ( esp more than one, thatll be suicide) since they way above your skill level ( which gives them crazy high % to everything, if you wanted to kill them with their buffs you'll have to spend 30 mins each per monster ( i spent 15 mins trying to kill one mid game and i didnt even get to half its health after a very challenging battle ); like earth totem early/mid game ), even on 2nd hardest diff they're way above your skill level and you have to run away. the monster im talking about are right a the edge of the every game area, the middle is always filled with easish stuff unless they gang up/gank on you; like the wolves do.
Last edited by rimstone; 1 month ago
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it worth my time? I briefly played abit today and I use the word “played” lightly as I skipped every cutscene and all the talking as I wanted to get a quick insight look into the gameplay. It feels like one of those games you have to dedicate your life to, to enjoy it.
I would only give it 7.7/10 personally

The environments are beautiful to look at, ...but the combat lacked something. and since I consider combat to be a major part of an RPG ... I cannot rate the game any higher.

I find 1 player [character] RPG's tend to lack in combat over the standard RPG's where you have a whole party working with you.
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will give it a good go, not a great time for me right now as I am studying for some exam I need to do and just super busy but its one of the games on xbox Game pass
I feel bad that your on xbox.

Either way, same I am curently doing A-levels and have mocks coming up, never mind the actual exams in a few months.

I may do a re-run of it because I was super young when I played the game and didn't really understand the vocabulary used. Words like "godspeed" turned out to be a huge deciding factor in a side quest haha I had no idea it meant similar to 'good luck' and not "prepare to meet god" or some stuff. Furthermore, the choices you have to make can have heavy consequences and can change the story significantly; such choices I couldn't really comprehend (looking at the bloody baron/tree witch quests there ://)
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
tbh, if you have xbox pass then you don't need to ask us.
and playing it for an hour or two will give you a much better idea of if you'll like the game or not than listening to random people on the internet.

Having said that, many rpg's these days need a long time of playing before they hit their peaks/potential.

It took 7 hours of playing ff13 before the combat/story developed enough for me to rate it more than 8
for persona 5, it took about 15 hours before i said to myself ... this is actually a pretty decent game

I almost stopped playing both games before this point as I was not terribly impressed.

maybe i need to play more witcher?
i think i've done about 4/5 hours?
ElNiñoo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Best game I have ever played. Initially, I gave it a quick play and was like "not my type of game" then I gave it a go, forced myself to play it as I had no other games and yeah. Ever since then I've completed it 3 times or more and absolutely love it
Last edited by ElNiñoo; 1 month ago
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ElNiñoo)
Best game I have ever played. Initially, I gave it a quick play and was like "not my type of game" then I gave it a go, forced myself to play it as I had no other games and yeah. Ever since then I've completed it 3 times or more and absolutely love it
you need to invest in some more games.

There are so much games to play out there and you can get a lot of titles cheap now brand new once they go to playstation hits.

3+ times is excessive. Witcher 3 from what i've heard isn't exactly a short game either...
ElNiñoo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
you need to invest in some more games.

There are so much games to play out there and you can get a lot of titles cheap now brand new once they go to playstation hits.

3+ times is excessive. Witcher 3 from what i've heard isn't exactly a short game either...
Got plenty of games I can play.

Witcher 3 is just the best of the selection and better than the games still coming out today. Plus I don't have time to sit down and start a large open world story game so I prefer to just hop into one I've already played and enjoy, even if it is just for 2hrs in a week
Gordon_D
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's incredible, and easily in my top three games ever!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (338)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.2%
No- I want it (151)
27.06%
No- I don't want it (40)
7.17%

Watched Threads