English Literature books for coursework

Watch this thread
Arimoonlight
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Anyone got any recommendations of books about mental health/feminism for pre 1900s. And then any recommendations for post
DauntlessKilljoy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure on the dates of most of these, but they're ideas for you to look into
- the yellow wallpaper - female protagonist, probably scizophrenic, very mentally ill, can see it progress over time.
- any stererotypical Victorian book where you can extract parts where men refer to female hysteria and that making them weak, I can't think of any off the top of my head. maybe jane austen (you could talk about how he locks his mother in the attack because she's going mad. I think that's jane austen)
- pond by Claire louise bennet - I honestly have no idea what happened in this book (I did read it, I just didn't understand it), but you could interpret it in terms of mental illness I guess
- three things about elsie is good if you want to talk about dementia
- the bell jar
- girl interrupted
- sharp objects (amazing book)
Arimoonlight
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by DauntlessKilljoy)
I'm not sure on the dates of most of these, but they're ideas for you to look into
- the yellow wallpaper - female protagonist, probably scizophrenic, very mentally ill, can see it progress over time.
- any stererotypical Victorian book where you can extract parts where men refer to female hysteria and that making them weak, I can't think of any off the top of my head. maybe jane austen (you could talk about how he locks his mother in the attack because she's going mad. I think that's jane austen)
- pond by Claire louise bennet - I honestly have no idea what happened in this book (I did read it, I just didn't understand it), but you could interpret it in terms of mental illness I guess
- three things about elsie is good if you want to talk about dementia
- the bell jar
- girl interrupted
- sharp objects (amazing book)
Thank you!
Ive already read the bell jar! Love it so much! And girl interrupted too!
I was thinking of doing the yellow wallpaper as i can link it to attitudes towards mental illness over time.
Maybe then i could do either the bell jar or girl interupted
DauntlessKilljoy
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
that sounds like a plan!
I'm glad you said that because the yellow wallpaper was definitely the one I felt most confident about on the list; there's lots you can talk about in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads