The Student Room Group

How to get into paramedic science?

Hi, I am 17 years old and was asking how people got into doing it as I know you need a science to become a paramedic. Can I do science at A-Level as didn't get a good grade at science in GCSE? If so what science is it that I will need to take at A-Level please? Thanks in advance.
Original post by kim_macdonald
Hi, I am 17 years old and was asking how people got into doing it as I know you need a science to become a paramedic. Can I do science at A-Level as didn't get a good grade at science in GCSE? If so what science is it that I will need to take at A-Level please? Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

You would generally need a science subject to get into paramedic science at university. Many universities will take any science, but some will prefer or ask for biology.

Generally, to do an A-level, you'd need a five or a six in that subject at GCSE, but it's always worth checking with colleges or sixth forms as they may be able to relax their entry requirements if they think you're a good candidate. You obviously have some drive and passion to get into this role and that can often make a difference.

If an A-level in a science subject isn't possible, you could look at doing a BTEC in something related to healthcare, health science or something with science-related modules. You can get onto the same university courses this way.

If you look at paramedic science degrees on the UCAS website, you can get a shortlist of universities and look at their entry requirements - this way you'll learn exactly what subjects and grades you need to be aiming for. To get started, just type in 'paramedic science' into the UCAS search... https://digital.ucas.com/search

Hope this helps - Mark
Thanks Mark!
Hi I’m currently in the process of applying for paramedic science and have my first interim Wednesday! If you have anymore questions let me know x

Quick Reply

Latest