shyam patel
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone here applied for the Arup Graduate Engineering Geology scheme? and if yes, have you guys heard back yet?
FV75
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I applied for Geotechnical Engineering - had an AC in December and there were a few engineering geologist applicants there too. I sent in my application really early though, at the end of September, so I assume they will run more AC's for people who applied later. Good luck!
shyam patel
Rep:
?
(Original post by FV75)
I applied for Geotechnical Engineering - had an AC in December and there were a few engineering geologist applicants there too. I sent in my application really early though, at the end of September, so I assume they will run more AC's for people who applied later. Good luck!
Hey! thank you for your reply
I applied on the 10th of November (just before the deadline) and I got an email yesterday saying that my application is still under consideration.

Is it okay if we can connect on LinkedIn or something?
FV75
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think I've only looked at LinkedIn twice since I signed up - happy to answer any general questions here though. I'm guessing I was unsuccessful, so I might not be the best person to ask!
shyam patel
Rep:
?
(Original post by FV75)
I think I've only looked at LinkedIn twice since I signed up - happy to answer any general questions here though. I'm guessing I was unsuccessful, so I might not be the best person to ask!
Nah im pretty sure you did well never presume you did bad!
How did you find the overall experience?
FV75
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The group task and technical exercise were fun and interesting. I was told (in the AC invite email) that the interview was competency-based, so that was what I prepared for, but it was ALL technical questions other than a couple about Arup, and I didn't get asked a single question about my skills, competencies or experience. So I felt slightly misled, and even more so when other candidates said they were asked about their hobbies!

It felt like they wanted Masters-level knowledge (I'm only in 3rd year) and that technical knowledge (and knowledge of Arup) was all they were interested in - they didn't seem to want to know anything about me, which didn't seem very in keeping with their ethos.

Since I wasn't able to answer the questions, I got pretty stressed out during the interview part and that's why I think I'm going to be rejected!

Ah well, it was good experience and I hope you have better luck and better interviewers, as it sounded like it varied quite a lot between candidates.
shyam patel
Rep:
?
(Original post by FV75)
The group task and technical exercise were fun and interesting. I was told (in the AC invite email) that the interview was competency-based, so that was what I prepared for, but it was ALL technical questions other than a couple about Arup, and I didn't get asked a single question about my skills, competencies or experience. So I felt slightly misled, and even more so when other candidates said they were asked about their hobbies!

It felt like they wanted Masters-level knowledge (I'm only in 3rd year) and that technical knowledge (and knowledge of Arup) was all they were interested in - they didn't seem to want to know anything about me, which didn't seem very in keeping with their ethos.

Since I wasn't able to answer the questions, I got pretty stressed out during the interview part and that's why I think I'm going to be rejected!

Ah well, it was good experience and I hope you have better luck and better interviewers, as it sounded like it varied quite a lot between candidates.
Ah! thats really annoying! I also have a BSc and a 6 month placement which just finished so I don't even know if Il be invited to the assessment center... what do you think my chances are like..?
shyam patel
Rep:
?
I got a first in Geology, and then 6 months internship as an engineering geologist
FV75
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not entirely sure what they are looking for as every candidate was quite different. Most (if not all) of the candidates had some relevant work experience I think, and most were doing a Masters, but there were a couple of people who had done/were currently doing a Bachelors too (including me), so I see no reason why you wouldn't have a good chance of being invited to the AC!
shyam patel
Rep:
?
(Original post by FV75)
I'm not entirely sure what they are looking for as every candidate was quite different. Most (if not all) of the candidates had some relevant work experience I think, and most were doing a Masters, but there were a couple of people who had done/were currently doing a Bachelors too (including me), so I see no reason why you wouldn't have a good chance of being invited to the AC!
Ahh right I see! Yh I was planning to do an MSc in Engineering Geology but then decided against it so I hope they invite me... just worried about the technical questions because of my bachelor's degree
shyam patel
Rep:
?
Also do you know/have heard how many graduates they would be taking on ?
FV75
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, they gave us no information about the number of jobs available - I'm guessing they must have some flexibility in how many graduates they take on so maybe they don't want to give a number in case they eventually decide to take on more or less?

Not everyone got asked loads of technical questions and I applied for a different role to you so don't worry, I think I was just unlucky!
shyam patel
Rep:
?
yh I hope so haha because I'm presuming those that have an MSc will have a upper hand, no matter how strong someones application is if they have a BSc lol
kirsty3398
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys, I applied at the end of September, and just heard back today that I was unsuccessful. I imagine you'll hear soon - good luck!
FV75
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kirsty3398)
Hi guys, I applied at the end of September, and just heard back today that I was unsuccessful. I imagine you'll hear soon - good luck!
Ah sorry to hear that, did you attend an AC? And just out of curiosity, do you have (or will soon have) a Masters?
Good luck with your other applications!
kirsty3398
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FV75)
Ah sorry to hear that, did you attend an AC? And just out of curiosity, do you have (or will soon have) a Masters?
Good luck with your other applications!
No big deal, I already have an offer from another company. I didn't attend an AC, just got flat out rejected! I am currently doing an Engineering Geology Masters and got a first class in my undergrad. Good luck to you too!
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kirsty3398)
No big deal, I already have an offer from another company. I didn't attend an AC, just got flat out rejected! I am currently doing an Engineering Geology Masters and got a first class in my undergrad. Good luck to you too!
Congrats on your offer! Is that for a Geology role/scheme as well?
kirsty3398
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by trapking)
Congrats on your offer! Is that for a Geology role/scheme as well?
Thanks! Yeah it's a graduate engineering geologist role at AECOM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (284)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (221)
43.76%

Watched Threads