MichaelCol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone, I'm looking to apply for a PhD in 2021 or move on to a career in social research (not entirely sure yet) and was advised to find a masters degree in research methods. I live in Hampshire/West Sussex area so I am looking at universities in the South or in London. Have looked at Roehampton, Southampton, Goldsmiths, and Surrey. Can anyone advise on how best to choose given I might want do a Phd? Some have told me that not all masters allow you to do a PhD which got me worried.

I didn't like Southampton - felt really cut off! Roehampton was nice campus but not sure about the course. Checking out Goldsmiths and Surrey next but what sought of questions should I ask? How do I know if the degree is wortht the time and investment?

Sorry if all basic questions - just a bit lost.

Cheers
Michael
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MichaelCol)
Hi everyone, I'm looking to apply for a PhD in 2021 or move on to a career in social research (not entirely sure yet) and was advised to find a masters degree in research methods. I live in Hampshire/West Sussex area so I am looking at universities in the South or in London. Have looked at Roehampton, Southampton, Goldsmiths, and Surrey. Can anyone advise on how best to choose given I might want do a Phd? Some have told me that not all masters allow you to do a PhD which got me worried.

I didn't like Southampton - felt really cut off! Roehampton was nice campus but not sure about the course. Checking out Goldsmiths and Surrey next but what sought of questions should I ask? How do I know if the degree is wortht the time and investment?

Sorry if all basic questions - just a bit lost.

Cheers
Michael
Hi Michael 👋

Our MSc Social Research is an advanced degree in social scientific methodology and is recognised by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) as a research training degree. It's a really useful preparatory course for those who wish to go on to PhD research, as well as those looking to increase key employability skills in qualitative fieldwork, quantitative data management, and data analytics.

If you haven't visited us in New Cross yet, I'd definitely recommend attending an Open Day so that you can get to know the area, tour our facilities, and meet academic staff from your programme. We've got an upcoming postgraduate Open Day coming up on the 18th of March, if you're interested you can book in here: www.gold.ac.uk/open-days

Also, if you have any specific questions about the course I'm happy to help!

-Miranda 😊
MichaelCol
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London)
Hi Michael 👋

Our MSc Social Research is an advanced degree in social scientific methodology and is recognised by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) as a research training degree. It's a really useful preparatory course for those who wish to go on to PhD research, as well as those looking to increase key employability skills in qualitative fieldwork, quantitative data management, and data analytics.

If you haven't visited us in New Cross yet, I'd definitely recommend attending an Open Day so that you can get to know the area, tour our facilities, and meet academic staff from your programme. We've got an upcoming postgraduate Open Day coming up on the 18th of March, if you're interested you can book in here: www.gold.ac.uk/open-days

Also, if you have any specific questions about the course I'm happy to help!

-Miranda 😊
Hi Miranda, thanks for the information! I spoke to the person who runs the MSc a few days ago and he was very friendly and helpful. I will be meeting with him next week for a meeting but will also come to the open day as well as I'd like to check out the new cross area more. I just want to check - does the degree being recognised by the ESRC mean I can apply for a PhD after it? I saw some other MA degrees that looked interesting but I don't think they allow me to do a PhD afterwards. Can I ask why that is? Sorry, just trying to figure all this out! Thanks again for your quick reply.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Miranda, thanks for the information! I spoke to the person who runs the MSc a few days ago and he was very friendly and helpful. I will be meeting with him next week for a meeting but will also come to the open day as well as I'd like to check out the new cross area more. I just want to check - does the degree being recognised by the ESRC mean I can apply for a PhD after it? I saw some other MA degrees that looked interesting but I don't think they allow me to do a PhD afterwards. Can I ask why that is? Sorry, just trying to figure all this out! Thanks again for your quick reply.
No problem at all! You can apply for a PhD after our MSc Social Research, and a number of students from the programme have successfully acquired ESRC funding for doctoral level studies. That's great that you're meeting with the course convenor soon, I'd also definitely recommend having a look at our self-guided tour map since you'll be in the area!

-Miranda
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The degree might not be worth the investment it might be a waste of time, as mine almost was in reseach methods. You take the risk or you don't. Out of those I'd go for Goldsmith's as someone from the north of england that's the only one I've really heard of that is good.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
does the degree being recognised by the ESRC mean I can apply for a PhD after it? I saw some other MA degrees that looked interesting but I don't think they allow me to do a PhD afterwards.
All Masters degrees allow you to go on and do a PhD in some way. I think what you are being told is specifically for ESRC funding, where the ESRC insist that the Masters has specific research training elements, and some taught Masters don't have that. However, all it would stop you doing is getting ESRC funding, not applying for a PhD per se.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads