Is it possible to drop out of a BTEC in year 13?

Watch
louise_cammack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am in year 13 and im currently taking BTEC Level 3 Hospitality and Catering and BTEC Level 3 Health and Social Care. I was wondering if it is possible to drop out catering and still be able to complete health and social care. Ever since i started year 13, i have hated every second of catering and now i have lost every interest for it. Mostly like due to my school hiring a teacher that didn't have a clue what she was teacher. I have no exams in this course, all i do is coursework; i have completed more than half of the units, but its now affecting my mental health and i cannot do this course anymore.
Thanks.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by louise_cammack)
I am in year 13 and im currently taking BTEC Level 3 Hospitality and Catering and BTEC Level 3 Health and Social Care. I was wondering if it is possible to drop out catering and still be able to complete health and social care. Ever since i started year 13, i have hated every second of catering and now i have lost every interest for it. Mostly like due to my school hiring a teacher that didn't have a clue what she was teacher. I have no exams in this course, all i do is coursework; i have completed more than half of the units, but its now affecting my mental health and i cannot do this course anymore.
Thanks.
1. See GP and get letter to confirm you have some sort of MH condition
and your health is being affected.
2. Approach school and ask to drop course.
3. They might say ok or they might say no as they wont accept part time students.
4. Maybe ask if there are any alternatives, but you only have 5 months to go.
5. You could look at dropping out altogether and getting an apprentice

What are your grades like?
Are you intending to do anything after year 13? Do you need qualifications?.
Your life, but considering the short time left and the lack of options, then I wouldnt drop it lightly.
louise_cammack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,
In my last units in year 12 i got distinctions in all of them and i am still aiming for that in my current units. I have no idea what to do after year 13; i have a job in the hospitality industry and planning to stay working there till i figure something out. I don't think that i really need my catering qualification as, where i work the owner may be backing down and will need a manager to run the place which i will be looking into. Other people have said the same that it is only 5 more months, but i really don't know if i can take it anymore. The school already know that my mental health has gotten worse with this course and now my attendance is low because of it (as my school doesn't see mental health illnesses is a valid illness to be authorised as a absence). I turn 18 in February, i read somewhere that i could drop out then, but i really want to finish my health and social care course. It's kinda sad cause i used to love catering and i have been doing it since year 8, but i really cannot see a future in it for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (107)
60.11%
No (37)
20.79%
Not sure (34)
19.1%

Watched Threads