The Student Room Group

Bubbles's weight loss and wellbeing journey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Protostar
any tips for establishing a gym routine? :smile:

In terms of going or what you do when you get there?

In terms of going, I'm going to try to go once a week if I can (I know it's not that much but with work it's what I can manage currently). Likely that I'll go on the weekend.

When I get there I have to say, I still do the same type of routine that I used to back in the day when I was a regular gym goer and was actually fit :tongue: I can't remember how I got into the routine but basically it consists of cardio to warm up, free weights, floor activities e.g. sit ups/a plank, machines and a cool down activity. I'm sure there are better routines out there but I know it used to work well for me before, and I was in good shape previously - let's hope I can get back to that :lol:

Do you go? If so what are your tips? :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
In terms of going or what you do when you get there?

In terms of going, I'm going to try to go once a week if I can (I know it's not that much but with work it's what I can manage currently). Likely that I'll go on the weekend.

When I get there I have to say, I still do the same type of routine that I used to back in the day when I was a regular gym goer and was actually fit :tongue: I can't remember how I got into the routine but basically it consists of cardio to warm up, free weights, floor activities e.g. sit ups/a plank, machines and a cool down activity. I'm sure there are better routines out there but I know it used to work well for me before, and I was in good shape previously - let's hope I can get back to that :lol:

Do you go? If so what are your tips? :smile:

In terms of when you get there, sorry! :colondollar:

Yeah that sounds roughly like what I used to do when I went regularly. Hopefully it has the same effects as it used to then, but if not I'm sure it won't be that hard to switch it up to work better for you :smile:

I haven't gone regularly since 6th form but I recently joined and want to start going properly again. I usually do a 12 min jog on the treadmill to warm up, then do some arm stuff, leg stuff and core stuff, then finish it off with some more cardio depending on what I feel like doing and then do some cooldown stretches at the end. But I want to get into a bit of a routine where I'll focus on a specific area of my body to work on on certain days if that makes sense, but I feel like that'll take some time to get the balance right :yep:
I do multiple areas of the body in one session.
Sunday 12th of Jan:

Food: 1,531 cals

10,396 steps

Monday 13th of Jan:

Food: 1,205

7,235 steps

Today (Tuesday 14th of Jan) :

Food: 1,350

7,017 steps

Happier that I'm managing to increase my steps a bit more on work days :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Wednesday 15th of Jan:

Food: 1,412 cals (went to Mum's for dinner as I normally do on a Wednesday, so limited control over dinner. But I had a healthy breakfast and lunch :smile: )

Steps: 5,994

Thursday 16th of Jan:

Food: 1,487 cals

Steps: 5,170

Friday 17th of Jan (to edit once the day is complete:

Food: 1,332 cals (including adding what I'm planning on having for dinner)

Steps: 4,325 so far... need to get moving more!

I'm struggling for energy and time to move more during the working week. 30 minute lunch breaks are tricky. I hate that by the time I get home it's dark and normally raining, when I'd like to go for a walk. Bring on the lighter evenings! Let's hope this weekend my steps and activity will be better. Hoping to squeeze in a gym session and maybe swimming.
I always find my activity massively increases when the clocks change! It's so much easier to go for a walk or walk places instead of taking the bus when the weather is nicer. It's really demotivating when it's cold, windy and rainy outside!
Original post by DrawTheLine
I always find my activity massively increases when the clocks change! It's so much easier to go for a walk or walk places instead of taking the bus when the weather is nicer. It's really demotivating when it's cold, windy and rainy outside!

I love it when it's cold, there is such a nice breeze. Summer is too humid.
Pleasantly surprising weigh in... 72.3kg. Meaning since Christmas I've lost 3kg (around 6 pounds). Around 4 pounds since I started this blog :smile: so about 2 pounds a week which was my aim.

Just need to keep going :dumbells:
I'm also pleased I've brought in lunch every day for the last 2 weeks and not bought food. Better both health and money wise :tongue:

I do need to get better at making sure I meditate more though :tongue:
Just meditated on the train which was a new experience. It was fine because I had my girlfriend with me, I wouldn't do it if I wasn't sat with anyone :tongue: it was weirdly relaxing.

On a separate note (I know my posts are all over the place and I just comment when I have a random thought to add and they're not planned out - welcome to my life!) I've not had any alcohol this year. Hoping to keep up Dry January and then after that just occasionally have a drink. I don't drink that often anyway but I'll try and opt for more low or non alcoholic drinks :smile:
you’re doing great :biggrin: what sort of meditation do you do?
you’re doing great :biggrin: what sort of meditation do you do?

Thank you! I'm trying :tongue:

I use an app called Headspace at the moment as I got a month subscription for a Christmas present :smile:
Thank you! I'm trying :tongue:

I use an app called Headspace at the moment as I got a month subscription for a Christmas present :smile:

Oooh i’ve downloaded that a couple of times before but never properly used it :lol: do you think you’ll continue the subscription once the gift runs out?
Oooh i’ve downloaded that a couple of times before but never properly used it :lol: do you think you’ll continue the subscription once the gift runs out?

Because I'm a cheap skate I'll probably see if I can find some stuff on YouTube but if not then I might pay to :smile: I'd recommend it!
Because I'm a cheap skate I'll probably see if I can find some stuff on YouTube but if not then I might pay to :smile: I'd recommend it!

Yeah i don’t blame you :lol: glad you like it though, if they have a free trial I might give it a go myself :biggrin:
Yeah i don’t blame you :lol: glad you like it though, if they have a free trial I might give it a go myself :biggrin:

They have some basic ones which are free and you can repeat as many times as you want. But I think the really "good" ones are the ones you have to buy. I used it a bit last year, it did make it easier to fall asleep if I did it right before bed!
Original post by DrawTheLine
They have some basic ones which are free and you can repeat as many times as you want. But I think the really "good" ones are the ones you have to buy. I used it a bit last year, it did make it easier to fall asleep if I did it right before bed!

ahhhh i’ll give it a whirl then i think!! thanks :awesome:
18th of Jan:

Today has been a good day :biggrin:

Steps: 15,000+ due to shopping and walking around Birmingham :woo:

Food: 1,453 cals. Went to Wagamama's but chose a lower calorie option (Naked Katsu - under 650 cals!).

I meditated, drank green tea, and was just generally active and mindful of food.

Really find weekends so much easier to be healthy and active... should just retire now :mmm: Hopefully the gym and swimming will happen Sunday and Monday :smile:
Jan 19th:

Spoke to my Physio about leg exercises and running on Monday. She said to use a higher weight and less reps to build strength, rather than lower weight with more reps. She also said to try a minute or two of running at a time and build up because of my knees.

Gym session was good. Really felt it today :tongue:

20 minutes on the bike, 5 miles. 10 minutes on the cross trainer. Weights: 5 sets of 10 reps of 4kg bicep curls. 3 sets of 10 reps of 2kg tricep curls. 3 sets of 15 reps of 6kg shoulders - (would normally do 3 sets of 10 reps of 8kg but the 8kg were in use :redface: ). 30 sit ups. 45 sec plank. Leg machines: 15 reps of 19kg hamstrings. 15 reps of 14kg quads. 20 reps of leg press (forgot to make a note of the weight :facepalm: ) 10 minutes on the treadmill, I did a minute or two running at a time followed by a minute or two walking (interval style). My insoles that I wear for my feet and knees rubbed when I ran which wasn't great, and I was really tired by the end of all the other exercises. I might try and do the running earlier on in the gym session next time as I'd probably run for longer.

Fitbit and the machines I used reckon I burnt about 600 cals which I was happy with.

Food: 1474

Steps: 9,635 so far. Need to do a food shop though so that'll add quite a lot more :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
Monday 20th Jan:

Was meant to be going swimming with mum but she wasn't feeling too good so we went for a gentle walk instead.

Steps: 8,429

Food: 1,476 cals

Quick Reply

Latest