Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...N-account.html

lol what a muppet
    Jesus H. Christ what a ********, with that ****ty dress sense he doesn't deserve anything. If my balance read 2 million the last thing I'd do is parade it around to all nearby. Sheesh. More money than sense :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    see where it came from... if its not yours, dont spend it.
    Ring up bank asking... or you could try checking again.. could be a fault with the machine? if not leave it, wait a few weeks or months

ReputationRep:
    If 2M appeared in my bank, I would calmly hail a taxi, go to an airport, fly to the Cayman Islands, transfer said money over to new bank account, fly back and deny any knowledge of its existence and leave it untouched until I came out of uni.

Pretty much everything that **** in the article didn't do!

ReputationRep:
    I think the 10 minute rule applies to this situation, wait 10minutes. If it's still there it's effectively yours to keep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    If 2M appeared in my bank, I would calmly hail a taxi, go to an airport, fly to the Cayman Islands, transfer said money over to new bank account, fly back and deny any knowledge of its existence and leave it untouched until I came out of uni.

Pretty much everything that **** in the article didn't do!
    hehe me too :yep:

telling his mum was his error!

ReputationRep:
    get some hoes

ReputationRep:
    I should say "Oi Bank Manager, no!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Say you went to a cash point, knowing fine well you only had £32 in your account, about to get 30 pounds out when suddenly...

Your balance comes up sayin £5432.

What would you do, tell someone?
    Withdraw it?
    Would you spend it all, if yes. On what?

Or would you just ignore it :rolleyes:

(random numbers btw)
    I would call the bank and ask them about it... if it's not my money I won't use it.

ReputationRep:
    I would keep it quiet, and if its still there in a month or so I would keep it. Or I would report it and ask the rightful owner to give me a proportion for doing the right thing

Its amazing what money does to people..

ReputationRep:
    I would phone my bank and report the mistake. If it turned out it wasnt a mistake then I would spend it on a really long holiday. If it was a mistake then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trouttrout)
    Withdraw it all, then report my card stolen

:yep: That sounds like a good idea lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trouttrout)
    Withdraw it all, then report my card stolen
    Except they have cameras at cash machines so they could just look at the footage and tell it was you.

ReputationRep:
    Millions would be - set up a few new bank accounts - both tax havens that police etc. wouldn't be able to trace. Transfer it through bank account to 1st account, which will route it to an account in the UK on a monthly/weekly basis, from which I'd set it to pay me and my bank account equal sums weekly/monthly so it won't look too suspicious. Not sure how I'd declare it as taxed. Actually, I could set up a business in the Cayman Islands and get it to pay me, I don't mind paying a little bit of tax on free money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Wait a couple of months to see if I'm contacted by the bank/the police, and if not, then assume it's a secret gift from someone and spend it as normal :p:
    :ditto: yea this sounds good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    Millions would be - set up a few new bank accounts - both tax havens that police etc. wouldn't be able to trace. Transfer it through bank account to 1st account, which will route it to an account in the UK on a monthly/weekly basis, from which I'd set it to pay me and my bank account equal sums weekly/monthly so it won't look too suspicious. Not sure how I'd declare it as taxed. Actually, I could set up a business in the Cayman Islands and get it to pay me, I don't mind paying a little bit of tax on free money.

You sound like an expert

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nath_england)

Its amazing what money does to people..
    Not really, I'm a bit of a ******* anyway and believe you've got to take whatever advantage you can if you want to get ahead in life. If someone ****s up (and lets be honest, ****ing up to the tune of £2M is pretty insane) it's up to me to take advantage of it in whatever way I can. A pure cynic would take a similar view of the financial markets - for you to make money someone else has to lose it, i.e. they ****ed up.

And in any case, the bank is insured and would be able to reclaim the money anyway; in my view insurers are absolute rip-off artists for whom I have no sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore it and hope it stays there

ReputationRep:
    Probably wait a while (maybe about 10 seconds) to see if the police contact me. If not, I would withdraw it and spend every cent that day.

There is no way you could possibly get in any sort of trouble for a bank's mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishbashbosh)
    I think the 10 minute rule applies to this situation, wait 10minutes. If it's still there it's effectively yours to keep.
    I think you should go in to politics. I'd vote for you.

ReputationRep:
    don't know if this has been mentioned, but this actually happened a while back. the guy was a student and just spent like 300£ then the bank rectified it and he has to pay it back, and his mum said she wasn't going to bail him out class

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.