Turn on thread page Beta

I would contact the bank most proberly, to see if it was a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woofums)
    i would prob blow it and end up regretting it!

or maybe, you could take it out, gamble it all. double your money. then put back what you took out and keep the rest

but yeah i reckon i would spend it. wasnt there a boy who got somethng like £30 million from EMA by mistake and has to repay what he spent!

if it was loads, like millions, i would take it out and go abroad. prob that place that canoe man went to because i think they cant get you from there :yep:

but i spend too much money and am a spender rather than a saver!
    Panama :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd go into the bank and ask to see where it came from and if it really belonged to me. Then, if it wasn't meant to be there, I'd ask for it to be removed. I wouldn't just spend it and hope no one notices... because as my sister found out, it'll come back n bite you on the ass....

My sister got into a reet mess spending and spending what she thought was her own money, which actually wasn't and ended up having to pay it all back with a momentus amount of interest on it too. Took her years to pay it off and it wasn't even that large amount of money.
    Not worth it imo.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait a month, then transfer it into a high-interest savings account and then wait a year. If I hadn't been contacted about it after that, shopping spree time.

ReputationRep:
    Withdraw as much as I can from the cash point then go inside and withdraw the rest before they can correct their mistake. They then can't do anything about it as it was their fault

ReputationRep:
    I'd pretend I didn't know it was there, and go about normal spending, all innocent-like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woofums)
    if it was loads, like millions, i would take it out and go abroad. prob that place that canoe man went to because i think they cant get you from there :yep:
    Yeah, 'cos they didn't catch the Canoe Man from there, did they.

Oh, wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trouttrout)
    Withdraw it all, then report my card stolen
    Oooh very good idea

ReputationRep:
    Probably happened to someone after what happened with my wages, paid in a months wages, think it was like £800 odd, by cheque into my lloyds account. Cheque never cleared after 6 days so I asked and they said it had cleared, just into someone else's account.

If it happened to me though, I think I'd do exactly what kayscout mentioned, although I'd probably transfer it straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Phone the bank and leave it: tis a criminal offence to spend it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have £1.64 in my bank lol (I have yet to get a job). Ummmmmmmmm being broke as I am, I would probably keep the money (its someone else's fault, not mine!). I would tell myself it was a present from Santa for being a good boy, and then rejoice by purchasing copius amounts of alcohol with the said moneys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eDDeboo)
    Withdraw as much as I can from the cash point then go inside and withdraw the rest before they can correct their mistake. They then can't do anything about it as it was their fault
    Not so true: you can be prosectued for theft.

ReputationRep:
    Withdraw the cash, ring up saying card has been stolen. Then get a recent bank statement and then ask wtf is going up with the bank when they see 5,000 going in and out, which you nor they can explain. :p:

ReputationRep:
    take it all out in £50s everyday till i had it all out of their, then id close my account with them so they couldnt get at it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayscout)
    I'd wait a month, then transfer it into a high-interest savings account and then wait a year. If I hadn't been contacted about it after that, shopping spree time.
    This is probably what I would do.

ReputationRep:
    This actualy happened to my sister, she paid in a cheque ending in 99p and it was cashed in as £99. so she took all the money out and closed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Benji)
    Probably happened to someone after what happened with my wages, paid in a months wages, think it was like £800 odd, by cheque into my lloyds account. Cheque never cleared after 6 days so I asked and they said it had cleared, just into someone else's account.

If it happened to me though, I think I'd do exactly what kayscout mentioned, although I'd probably transfer it straight away.
    ah yes a couple of years ago i had an extra £400 in my bank which my work had paid me extra cos of an error on their part, turns out they could not find the paper trail in the wages dept and i got to keep the money, despite them demanding i give it back they couldnt do anything, was brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Withdraw as cash from inside the bank, taking out the entire sum in one.
    I'd then move it into an offshore high interest 2 year term account.
    Then when I'm contacted, if I'm contacted by anyone, I'd tell them that I've spent the money, and as I'm a student I can't afford to pay it back at once. I'd negotiate a ridiculously low, 10 pound a month repayment rate, with no interest obv.

The last part of that was actually done, I remember reading of a case where a woman was paid 3 grand by her ex employer, spent it instantly, and because she was in debt managed to only pay back something like 10 pound a month sin interest.

Now that isn't really stealing, is it? :P lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean69)
    ah yes a couple of years ago i had an extra £400 in my bank which my work had paid me extra cos of an error on their part, turns out they could not find the paper trail in the wages dept and i got to keep the money, despite them demanding i give it back they couldnt do anything, was brilliant!
    Another thing like that happened to me when I was working with a temps agency, instead of deducting tax & ni, yep, they added it on! Bonus! Nothing ever happened about it either haha.

(Original post by Alison267)
    :ditto: yea this sounds good
    Yeah

I'd stay low and be like "oh what .. I didn't know" and then after a while splash out!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.