The Student Room Group

English lit:(

I have an English literature exam in January. I am studying Jane Eyre and watched Mr buff's video. (that literally all I did) and English literature is the subject I struggle with. what should I do? I really need to revise or it will be too late. i am doing aqa gcse

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what grades are you achieving,know.
Original post by TYFEZ
what grades are you achieving,know.

7s
Reply 3
okay, I'm a grade 9 student in English lit and I love chatting alot of *******s to get the best grades. What exactly is the problem for you?
Original post by TYFEZ
okay, I'm a grade 9 student in English lit and I love chatting alot of *******s to get the best grades. What exactly is the problem for you?

my teacher told me i overead the text a lot when I thought I was just analysing the text (i guess not). so can you pls tell me how to analyse texts,how to look for language devices,structure paragraphs, how to revise for English literature, what does it mean when people say make mind maps for each character cos how on earth do you do that, how to remember important quotes in the text etc. plus thank you so much for replying i HONESTLY need this
Reply 5
When analysing the texts you need to first know what each language device actually designates.
e.g. personification-describing something with non living characteristics.

2.When analysing the text you need to zoom in on a word and tell the examiner what the word connotes and what it makes the reader feel,you really so need to zoom in on one specific word and tell the examiner all about this word even the most stupid things.

3. Make unique inferences as people will probably have the same inference as you or very similar.

4. With the structural paragraphs I will really focus on knowing structural devices like paragraphs or something like enjambament to have a variety making your lit exam stand out to others.

5.When people say mind maps they mean how is the character presented in the text because in the exam they tend to ask you on how themes or characters are presented to you could analyse a quotation stated by a specific character in the play to evoke the character is acknowledged.

6. with remembering important quotes we need to simply just keep and remembering it and analysing it to transfer it from the short term memory to long term.

any more questions be sure to ask me
Original post by TYFEZ
When analysing the texts you need to first know what each language device actually designates.
e.g. personification-describing something with non living characteristics.

2.When analysing the text you need to zoom in on a word and tell the examiner what the word connotes and what it makes the reader feel,you really so need to zoom in on one specific word and tell the examiner all about this word even the most stupid things.

3. Make unique inferences as people will probably have the same inference as you or very similar.

4. With the structural paragraphs I will really focus on knowing structural devices like paragraphs or something like enjambament to have a variety making your lit exam stand out to others.

5.When people say mind maps they mean how is the character presented in the text because in the exam they tend to ask you on how themes or characters are presented to you could analyse a quotation stated by a specific character in the play to evoke the character is acknowledged.

6. with remembering important quotes we need to simply just keep and remembering it and analysing it to transfer it from the short term memory to long term.

any more questions be sure to ask me

i think I will write an English essay today. can you read it for me pls and tell me how to improve on it if i do
Reply 7
yh of course
Reply 8
you dont need to write a whole essay, I can asses your writing within the first couple of pages.
Reply 9
I know what a high level grade 8-9 answer looks like
Original post by TYFEZ
you dont need to write a whole essay, I can asses your writing within the first couple of pages.

oh thats fine then i will write 1 para
Reply 11
okay
Original post by TYFEZ
I know what a high level grade 8-9 answer looks like

Sounding like an examiner. I'm intrigued about how you can do this.
Reply 13
I'm not an examiner but I know how improve grades.
I'm a grade 9 english lit student
Reply 14
when is it gonna be sent to me?
Original post by TYFEZ
I'm not an examiner but I know how improve grades.
I'm a grade 9 english lit student

That doesn't necessarily mean you can always identify top-grade work. I say this as someone that has peer assessed a lot and done it with a good degree of accuracy.
Reply 16
I am a grade 9 student and a* in a levels for english lit and Shakespearean language analytical skills.
I've worked with many students to help them improve their grades in english lit in upcoming mocks
Charlotte Bronte incorporates gothic elements into the novel in a subtle way. in the 1840s the gothic era was declining as people wanted to read naturalistic texts. Bronte mixed a whole number of genres together; gothic, romance, etc. to make the novel "jane Eyre" more interesting. when jane goes to Thornfield Hall, she hears strange noises from grace Poole and also witnesses Mr Rochester nearly dying form a fire but jane saves his life. it says "at first the goblin-laughter stood at my bedside." there are many connotations of goblins such as short, ugly and abnormal. the use of the object noun "goblin" implies how supernatural the laugh was and emphasizes that there is something that should not be there in the house. The mysterious laugh on the rising section on the Freytag pyramid. charlotte Bronte may have done this to foreshadow something major will happen which is linked to the strange laugh. this makes the reader interested and curious to know what the climax is.
Reply 18
I would say this Is a high 7 in GCSE level probably a 7+.
Reply 19
Improvements
Instead of using words like says,use words like designates or evokes.
I want to see a context link,your also not being very analytical which needs to be improved by picking out key elements or devices of the quotation.

Start using sentence structures like It seems to me the writer... or it clearly symbolises and paints an image in my head..

When pointing out connotations start using more vigorous words like Malicious in your case of a goblin.

when you said implies you could have simply said explicitly implies.

These small things are the major things to getting that high grade 8 or 9

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending