PlumPlum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. I’m currently in Y10 and really want to study fashion design at uni and be a fashion designer.Can anyone advise on what the best thing to do after GCSEs is? At the moment I’m thinking a level art and textiles and maybe history as my third subject but I’m not sure if there are any BTEC course that might be better. I should get good grades (8/9 hopefully!) in art and textiles gcse and I'm aiming for 6 in the rest. Do art degrees expect really high gcse grades? I’m dyslexic and I’m just not going to get brilliant grades in everything and I might have to do foundation maths which is a 5 max. Do you have to do a foundation year before you start your degree? Where are the best places to study? I know UAL, Glasgow school of art and Manchester met are supposed to be really good but I guess they are also really hard to get into. Sorry for rambling. I’m really asking a levels or btec, should I do a foundation, and what unis to aim for?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PlumPlum)
Hi. I’m currently in Y10 and really want to study fashion design at uni and be a fashion designer.Can anyone advise on what the best thing to do after GCSEs is? At the moment I’m thinking a level art and textiles and maybe history as my third subject but I’m not sure if there are any BTEC course that might be better. I should get good grades (8/9 hopefully!) in art and textiles gcse and I'm aiming for 6 in the rest. Do art degrees expect really high gcse grades? I’m dyslexic and I’m just not going to get brilliant grades in everything and I might have to do foundation maths which is a 5 max. Do you have to do a foundation year before you start your degree? Where are the best places to study? I know UAL, Glasgow school of art and Manchester met are supposed to be really good but I guess they are also really hard to get into. Sorry for rambling. I’m really asking a levels or btec, should I do a foundation, and what unis to aim for?
Talk to your local colleges to find out what courses they offer. Art and textiles are good A levels to take plus whatever you think you’ll enjoy. Design and technology might be worth looking at too - or any btec extended diplomas in textiles/design.

See if you can get along to graduate fashion week to find out more about different universities and courses (as well as the industry). UAL is a massive university - only CSM is competitive for fashion (LCF and the other colleges still take people in clearing) and UAL doesn’t attend Graduate fashion week.

You don’t have to take a foundation diploma after your A levels but it can be a good idea (a lot of students find it a really useful year) - you’ll be competing for degree places against people who have done a FAD so it’s worth considering.
PlumPlum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
thankyou. I’ve had a look at the csm foundation year. I think it would be really good to be able to develop creatively before committing to a 3 year course. I’ve been to the graduate shows at my local uni but I’ve not been to London so I’d love to do that. I’ve seen bits of the catwalk shows on YouTube but it’s not the same.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PlumPlum)
thankyou. I’ve had a look at the csm foundation year. I think it would be really good to be able to develop creatively before committing to a 3 year course. I’ve been to the graduate shows at my local uni but I’ve not been to London so I’d love to do that. I’ve seen bits of the catwalk shows on YouTube but it’s not the same.
Remember that there’s no funding for living costs for an art foundation diploma course. London is a very expensive place to live without a loan. Most people take art foundation diploma courses at a local college or university.
University of the Arts London Student Reps
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there !

It’s really exciting that your aspiring to study fashion design in future / become a fashion designer . UAL ( university of the arts London) is world renounced for the design degrees we offer . We offer fashion degrees at both Central Saint Martins (CSM) and London college of fashion (LCF). Offers at both are extremely popular and competitive due to their popular nature . You still have many years before you get to uni , so for the time being I would advice that you continue with at least 1 art / design course into your A levels/ BTEC level . If you opt for A levels , you would benifit a lot from progressing onto a foundation diploma afterwards . We offer the foundation diploma over two of our college , one at Camberwell (CCW) and our programme which offers a specific pathway in fashion and textiles at CSM. It is worth noting that CSM fashion along side many of its other courses does not generally offer a place onto the degree if you haven’t completed a foundation year (either with UAL / elsewhere) whereas LCF often accept applications from applicants who might not have completed a foundation degree. It is further worth noting that people who complete a foundation extended BTEC level are often considered/ produce a equal standard of work to people who have completed foundation diplomas , some people still opt to do a foundation diploma because of the benefits of doing one however most go on to apply onto degree level straight away .

Some things you could start getting involved with now / more immediately are things like our summer /spring /autumn / winter schools, most of the course under this are provided by our amazing insights/ outreach programme which is about getting you down students such as your self involved in the arts ! Follow the link below to find out more -

https://www.arts.ac.uk/partnerships/...r-ual-insights

It is also worth attending any local art / design centres etc .

Hope this helps ?! And good luck for the future.
All the best

Memunatu - UAL Student Repm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads