Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, my parents were going to let me finally get a pet Corn snake (i’ve wanted one for years) but they remembered i’ll be going off to uni in less than a year And won’t let me keep it at home when I’m at uni and i doubt i can keep it in the halls. Any suggestions of what i can do?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Am not encouraging you to break your contract but equally am not allowed a hamster in my uni room either...
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, my parents were going to let me finally get a pet Corn snake (i’ve wanted one for years) but they remembered i’ll be going off to uni in less than a year And won’t let me keep it at home when I’m at uni and i doubt i can keep it in the halls. Any suggestions of what i can do?
You have the following options:
1) Get a snake anyway, take it to uni halls with you, but hide it every time there's a room inspection;
2) Try to find student housing (usually in the private sector) that will allow pets - this is more common near universities that offer Zoology and similar courses;
3) Try to persuade your parents to look after the snake while you're at university;
4) Wait until after you graduate to get the snake, when you know where you'll be living.

Tbh, I recommend just waiting until you've graduated. I don't know much about snakes, but they may not like travelling too often if you take it to halls and visit home for the holidays.
UGP1023
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I have the exact same problem just with a bunny instead of a snake :/
I’m thinking of just waiting til I finish uni in 3 years ;-;
hippieglitter
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Don't do it. I was lucky cos my mum was prepared to take care of my cat when I left, but if no one will look after it for you you can not take it to halls. We were all told in no uncertain circumstances that we were not allowed pets of any kind in halls. I knew one girl who brought a hamster, we were not subject to room inspections but we did have daily cleaners with keys for each room, the cleaner reported that she had a hamster in her room she was told that she had to either get rid of the animal or move out. That was just a hamster but some people are really scared of snakes, the consequences could be so much more if the person that encounters your animal doesn't know that its not dangerous. If you really must have a pet, live off campus, but good luck finding a flat/house that will allow pets, they are notoriously difficult to find even for non students. Wait and get a pet when you are in a position to keep it. I never got my cat back, he lived with my mother while i was at uni and stayed there when I moved out, he then moved to my Nana's and will be there til the end if his life now. I did not have another pet til 2 years ago when i bought my own place and adopted a cat from the local shelter.
Axolotls
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Honestly agreeing with the above users in waiting until university is finished to get a snake. I have a snake myself whom I adore but when I used to work in Animal Management, we would often get dozens of students wanting to rehome their pets with us because they were about to head off and start university.

With snakes, there are also massive considerations... as you probably know Corn Snakes are quick to grow and with good care, in two years they will reach 5 - 6ft in length, and will need at least a 4ft viv (the more the better as an active species)... dorms are often very tiny, and it will be a considerable effort to hide! Furthermore, people may not appreciate the idea of sharing accommodation with the snake, or the snake's food. They're also a lot harder to travel with due to temperature sensitivities.

If i'm honest, i'd only recommend it if you were attending uni with commuting distance, and were staying home.
forgotten_one
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
You have the following options:
1) Get a snake anyway, take it to uni halls with you, but hide it every time there's a room inspection;
2) Try to find student housing (usually in the private sector) that will allow pets - this is more common near universities that offer Zoology and similar courses;
3) Try to persuade your parents to look after the snake while you're at university;
4) Wait until after you graduate to get the snake, when you know where you'll be living.

Tbh, I recommend just waiting until you've graduated. I don't know much about snakes, but they may not like travelling too often if you take it to halls and visit home for the holidays.
Please, please don't follow option (1)... I am honestly terrified of snakes and what if the snake escapes from your room :afraid: I'd hate to be your flatmate lol
forgotten_one
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I wanted to get a hamster but I am waiting till I finish my degree.
Reasons why I am waiting...
1) Cause I will be out most of the time and don't wanna leave my hamster unsupervised as I am staying alone.
2) Some accommodations announce room inspections on the day so if you are out and you get an email saying a contractor will be visiting your flat, you are completely screwed.
3) Uni hall rooms are pretty cramped. Might not have enough space to move around.

As the above responses have said, I'd just wait till uni is over if I were you
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Thanks to everyone! I’ve decided I’m probably just going to wait until I’ve graduated or at least until im in private accommodation : )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (78)
26.44%
No - I have already returned home (36)
12.2%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (59)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.51%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.85%

Watched Threads