Can i do an alevel without the gcse in it?

Watch
Lucy98654
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Will i be able to/at a disadvantage if I take philosophy and ethics alevel (WJEC,eduqas) without doing religious studies gcse.I did short course RS so would i be ok? If anyone does philosophy and ethics/religious studies alevel do you think it would be harder without the full gcse or does it not cross over that much?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lucy98654)
Will i be able to/at a disadvantage if I take philosophy and ethics alevel (WJEC,eduqas) without doing religious studies gcse.I did short course RS so would i be ok? If anyone does philosophy and ethics/religious studies alevel do you think it would be harder without the full gcse or does it not cross over that much?
Many school only do short course GCSE and then A level - what do your teachers say?
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In theory yes. I did a full RS GCSE and my only ALEVEL classmate for RS did the part time degree which is mandatory. I can't speak for an ethics course, but I do know they let me do a business ALEVEL even though I didn't do the GCSE.
Provided you have good grades your school should have no resson to reject you, but you should ask before applying.
Wishing you the best!
Lucy98654
Rep:
?
(Original post by princetonalec)
In theory yes. I did a full RS GCSE and my only ALEVEL classmate for RS did the part time degree which is mandatory. I can't speak for an ethics course, but I do know they let me do a business ALEVEL even though I didn't do the GCSE.
Provided you have good grades your school should have no resson to reject you, but you should ask before applying.
Wishing you the best!
Thank you! Did you like RS alevel
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you! Did you like RS alevel
I adored it! I got to look at Muslims in the UK, Psychology of Religion, Religious experiences, and Life Death And Beyond. I'm currently doing my undergraduate in the Study of Religion I enjoyed it so much!
Abankwa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You can do RS without doing it at GCSE. RS is not challenging enough that you would need prior knowledge, trust me, I know. Most would just ask for a 6 in English Lang or Lit.
Lucy98654
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abankwa)
You can do RS without doing it at GCSE. RS is not challenging enough that you would need prior knowledge, trust me, I know. Most would just ask for a 6 in English Lang or Lit.
Thank you - do you take RS (I would be doing philosophy and ethics - but I guess they are kind of similar) do you find the workload ok and is is easy to get a good grade.
Delilah23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah your be absolutely fine.
I took gcse RS and a level philosophy and ethics and nothing from gcse reslly came up and if it did then you just get taught it all again.
A level philosophy and ethics is very diffrent to gcse RS
Lucy98654
Rep:
?
(Original post by Delilah23)
Yeah your be absolutely fine.
I took gcse RS and a level philosophy and ethics and nothing from gcse reslly came up and if it did then you just get taught it all again.
A level philosophy and ethics is very diffrent to gcse RS
Thank you !! Would you recommend the alevel ?
Delilah23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you !! Would you recommend the alevel ?
Yeah as long as your teachers are good.
Unfortunately my philosophy teacher took a year and a half of school as he was ill and my ethics teacher went on maternity leave so we basically have no teachers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
59.23%
No (52)
22.32%
Not sure (43)
18.45%

Watched Threads