Catered meal timings clash with lecture?

Watch
DotDaDot
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In Loughborough's catered residence halls, is it possible for the lecture timings for engineering to clash with meal timings at the hall? If yes, then what would you do?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DotDaDot)
In Loughborough's catered residence halls, is it possible for the lecture timings for engineering to clash with meal timings at the hall? If yes, then what would you do?
I thought catered halls were just breakfast and evening meal?
Depending how the catered works then sometimes they give a credit for eating at any of the unis eateries or you can get a packed lunch. (can see its a packed lunch).

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/acc...catering/menu/
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/acc.../hallcatering/
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi DotDaDot,

So having not studied an engineering degree or lived in catered halls I have done some digging speaking to friends etc. Here are their opinions and the degrees they do below:

#1 Sports Tech - 'You can pick up a takeaway lunch at 9am so it was pretty easy. I would recommend being catered in your first year of engineering as it is less to worry about when you are getting used to your timetable. Catered halls, bar towers, are all pretty close to engineering, like a 5 in walk, so its pretty easy.' - Elvyn Richards

#2 Mech Eng - 'I actually think the times are ok because lunch is a long time and you can always get a takeaway if you need it. The only thing is if you only have a certain slot you can eat in between lectures then that tends to take up all your break time. I have less lectures on a Monday and Tuesday, so they are quieter easier days. It's only when I have training or a BUCS game that i miss meal times and have to sort food out on my own.' - Cayley

#3 Sports Tech - 'I only really missed meal times due to hockey training and matches. I would probs say that it was actually a really good thing being catered because I didn't have to cook or meal prep so actually saved way more time, and as well you could get a takeaway if you were in a ruish and take it to lectures. If you know you are going to miss a meal due to other commitments you can order a lunch the day before and pick it up at breakfast at no extra cost. Also being in Towers we were allowed to use DC dining hall which is basically in engineering anyway, so I didn't have to go back across campus. It saved me time so I think the pros outweighed any cons.' - Towers

#4 PDE - 'I always made meal times but sometimes would have to go at 2pm and get a baguette from the sandwich bar. They're pretty good at giving you a decent time for lunch 12-1/1-2.' - Elvyn Richards

Hope this helps and apologies for the limited degrees I could find. If I have any more responses I will add them in this post.
Best Wishes,
Emily
Last edited by Loughborough University; 1 year ago
DotDaDot
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Loughborough University)
Hi DotDaDot,

So having not studied an engineering degree or lived in catered halls I have done some digging speaking to friends etc. Here are their opinions and the degrees they do below:

#1 Sports Tech - 'You can pick up a takeaway lunch at 9am so it was pretty easy. I would recommend being catered in your first year of engineering as it is less to worry about when you are getting used to your timetable. Catered halls, bar towers, are all pretty close to engineering, like a 5 in walk, so its pretty easy.' - Elvyn Richards

#2 Mech Eng - 'I actually think the times are ok because lunch is a long time and you can always get a takeaway if you need it. The only thing is if you only have a certain slot you can eat in between lectures then that tends to take up all your break time. I have less lectures on a Monday and Tuesday, so they are quieter easier days. It's only when I have training or a BUCS game that i miss meal times and have to sort food out on my own.' - Cayley

#3 Sports Tech - 'I only really missed meal times due to hockey training and matches. I would probs say that it was actually a really good thing being catered because I didn't have to cook or meal prep so actually saved way more time, and as well you could get a takeaway if you were in a ruish and take it to lectures. If you know you are going to miss a meal due to other commitments you can order a lunch the day before and pick it up at breakfast at no extra cost. Also being in Towers we were allowed to use DC dining hall which is basically in engineering anyway, so I didn't have to go back across campus. It saved me time so I think the pros outweighed any cons.' - Towers

#4 PDE - 'I always made meal times but sometimes would have to go at 2pm and get a baguette from the sandwich bar. They're pretty good at giving you a decent time for lunch 12-1/1-2.' - Elvyn Richards

Hope this helps and apologies for the limited degrees I could find. If I have any more responses I will add them in this post.
Best Wishes,
Emily
Thank you very much for the exhaustive response!
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you very much for the exhaustive response!
You are more than welcome!

Any other queries feel free to PM us!
Best Wishes,
Emily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads