The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do

I'm feeling overwhelmed with work from sixth form, and I don't enjoy it at all. Sometimes it's too hard and makes me feel really stupid and sometimes it's because I find it boring and get distracted easily. Either way, I'm not motivated and I doubt I can get the grades I need. I don't know if it's a problem with me or a problem with sixth form (maybe I should've done an apprenticeship?). I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing with applying to uni.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I honestly feel the same way, I'm so unmotivated and then I stress about my exams whilst doing nothing and I don't know what to do about it, so you're not alone.
Feeling overwhelmed and stressed can be disorientating and really make day to day life unpleasant.
I suggest you sit down with a pen and paper and make a full list of everything you need to do. Don't worry about putting it into any order, just get it all out of your head onto paper. From here you can see about ordering them, or even breaking them down into smaller tasks if they're larger.
By regrounding yourself you get a new perspective on what needs doing. "I have an assignment due" is daunting, unclear, and anxiety inducing. "I have to finish off my reading, plan my assignment, and work on the write up" is much clearer, has its own gameplan, and is much more obtainable.
Wishing you the best!
Reply 3
Original post by princetonalec
Feeling overwhelmed and stressed can be disorientating and really make day to day life unpleasant.
I suggest you sit down with a pen and paper and make a full list of everything you need to do. Don't worry about putting it into any order, just get it all out of your head onto paper. From here you can see about ordering them, or even breaking them down into smaller tasks if they're larger.
By regrounding yourself you get a new perspective on what needs doing. "I have an assignment due" is daunting, unclear, and anxiety inducing. "I have to finish off my reading, plan my assignment, and work on the write up" is much clearer, has its own gameplan, and is much more obtainable.
Wishing you the best!

Thank you! I'll try this out.
Reply 4
Original post by td6299
I honestly feel the same way, I'm so unmotivated and then I stress about my exams whilst doing nothing and I don't know what to do about it, so you're not alone.

Thank you, I'm glad somebody gets what I mean
honestly me too. feel so stupid compared to the people in my class but at the same time too bored to study. every lesson at school im just waiting for the bell to ring to get home lol, guessing id feel more motivated if i self studied but eh. do u know what u wanna do after 6th form? depending on what, it might even be better to do apprenticeship
Reply 6
Original post by lilTrain
honestly me too. feel so stupid compared to the people in my class but at the same time too bored to study. every lesson at school im just waiting for the bell to ring to get home lol, guessing id feel more motivated if i self studied but eh. do u know what u wanna do after 6th form? depending on what, it might even be better to do apprenticeship

I get you so much, and self studying is hard to do when you're not motivated. I was going to do a zoology degree and see what I wanted to do from there, I just know that I want to work with animals preferably in the conservation kinda field
Original post by Choc chip
I get you so much, and self studying is hard to do when you're not motivated. I was going to do a zoology degree and see what I wanted to do from there, I just know that I want to work with animals preferably in the conservation kinda field

yeah, for some reason i study better during school days and do nothing during free days lol. its cool u know what u wanna do, looks interesting too. i have 2 friends in college for anything to do with animals but i dont think they need a uni degree for what they want. i still dunno what i should do lol
Reply 8
Original post by lilTrain
yeah, for some reason i study better during school days and do nothing during free days lol. its cool u know what u wanna do, looks interesting too. i have 2 friends in college for anything to do with animals but i dont think they need a uni degree for what they want. i still dunno what i should do lol

I do too, I think it's the pressure of school working on me hahah. Thanks, I was looking at animal apprenticeships but they all seem to be just for domestic animals:/ I think it's really hard to figure out, I'm still not even sure on zoology but I jumped from art to zoology to psychology to archaeology so I had to make a decision out of one of them
Reply 9
I do too, I think it's the pressure of school working on me hahah. Thanks, I was looking at animal apprenticeships but they all seem to be just for domestic animals:/ I think it's really hard to figure out, I'm still not even sure on zoology but I jumped from art to zoology to psychology to archaeology so I had to make a decision out of one of them

Oh I’m an idiot I’ve just realised I meant college not an apprenticeship
Reply 10
Thank you, I'm glad somebody gets what I mean

Me too

Quick Reply

Latest