Gsce for hotel management

Watch this thread
almas73
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I'm about to start my GSCE'S and haven't chosen my option's yet. My dream job is to be a hotel manager. I looked it up online and there wasn't specific or recommended subjects to study if you want to work in that related field. What would you recommended I should choose? Please answer, I'm quite confused!
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
The GCSEs that you do in relation to the career/ sector you want to work in don’t matter too much in the grand scheme of things. Does your school offer travel and tourism as a level 2 BTEC? You’d gain the experience from a BTEC course or apprenticeship if you want to pursue hotel management in the future. I suppose geography and history might be relavent or maybe DT?

I suggest you work backwards. Look at some potential apprenticeship courses or similar that might interest you, and look at what the entry requirements are or what they suggest you have done, and choose your options from there. I’d imagine that it doesn’t matter too much though, if you like drama then pick drama
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
GCSE choices don't really matter - just pick what you enjoy, but I agree with the above.
almas73
Rep:
(Original post by Deggs_14)
The GCSEs that you do in relation to the career/ sector you want to work in don’t matter too much in the grand scheme of things. Does your school offer travel and tourism as a level 2 BTEC? You’d gain the experience from a BTEC course or apprenticeship if you want to pursue hotel management in the future. I suppose geography and history might be relavent or maybe DT?

I suggest you work backwards. Look at some potential apprenticeship courses or similar that might interest you, and look at what the entry requirements are or what they suggest you have done, and choose your options from there. I’d imagine that it doesn’t matter too much though, if you like drama then pick drama
thanks for the info, but would geography, history and DT be relevant in that?
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by almas73)
thanks for the info, but would geography, history and DT be relevant in that?
DT I think is a good idea so you are used to doing portfolio work.
aliferra
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You might want to go down the route of doing a management degree, so GCSEs relating to business studies, management studies, finance & accounting (nearest thing is maths which you'll do anyway), marketing or media studies etc will be useful.
username4428796
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
i think business would be quite appropriate
Digitidal
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Try to avoid some of the above!
While it's great you have a desired career in mind, it's better to have more open skills since there aren't any requirements for Hospitality anyway.

Geography, History, Economics all sound good.

I'd try to avoid Business or Media Studies, as they're considered a 'soft subject' (Although GCSE Business really wasn't as 'soft' as people make it out to be, especially when compared to 'academic' subjects like Religious Studies or English Literature) and especially avoid BTECs, but IGCSE Travel & Tourism might be worth looking into.
almas73
Rep:
(Original post by Digitidal)
Try to avoid some of the above!
While it's great you have a desired career in mind, it's better to have more open skills since there aren't any requirements for Hospitality anyway.

Geography, History, Economics all sound good.

I'd try to avoid Business or Media Studies, as they're considered a 'soft subject' (Although GCSE Business really wasn't as 'soft' as people make it out to be, especially when compared to 'academic' subjects like Religious Studies or English Literature) and especially avoid BTECs, but IGCSE Travel & Tourism might be worth looking into.
My school doesn't teach Economics but I have decided to chose Geography. Do you think that one subject can be to my advantage?
Digitidal
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by almas73)
My school doesn't teach Economics but I have decided to chose Geography. Do you think that one subject can be to my advantage?
Geography is a useful choice, yeah. It's well-respected and applicable for Hospitality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.72%
Not yet, but I will soon (53)
18.28%
No (116)
40%

Watched Threads