8. "The Last of Us"
9. "Red Dead Redemption"
10. "Portal 2"
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have to google it.. I can't remember what came out before or after 2010.

Games that were great, and stand out in my memory:

Portal 2 was awesome and the most recent half-life game we've got. Doom was the best FPS Ive played in years..breath of the wild gave me the longest single-player play-time that ive had in years.. fun from start to finish. Mario odysey and the most recent fire emblem games were great.. Far cry 3, Pokemon Sword, the outer worlds, total war warhammer,skyrim have all kept me busy.

Then you get the games that I played the most by hours... Fifa, Smash bros, Mario Kart, counter strike, etc. if your going by play-time, then its one of those.
pyroish
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1. Resident Evil 2 remake
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Pokemon Shield
4. Doom 2016
5. Smash Ultimate
6. Metal Gear Solid V
7. Portal 2
8. Shadow Warrior 2013
9. Hearts of Iron 4
10. Hotline Miami 2

Cant really decide tbh other then resident evil 2 remake being the best game I have ever played
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stevenclark)
Here is my list and favo.

1. "Super Mario Galaxy 2"
2. "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild"
3. "Red Dead Redemption 2"
4. "Grand Theft Auto V"
5. "Super Mario Odyssey"
6. "Mass Effect 2"
7. "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim"
8. "The Last of Us"
9. "Red Dead Redemption"
10. "Portal 2"
Both GTA V and RDR2 were massive let downs IMO.. RDR2 is awful its a massive world filled with nothing, people who go on about how great and beautiful the environment is in the game need to step outdoors tbh. GTA V is a joke also, the single player (which is what GTA is supposed to be about) is too damn short and easy I felt zero challenge, not one mission was even remotely challenging, now all they do is milk people for micro transactions.
Last edited by ThuggerThugger; 1 month ago
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How long a list are we talking?

I'm going to break down my list for the last 10 years into a few sections:

Games I would play again tomorrow:
1) The Witcher 3 (also probably my GotD)
2) Halo Reach (going to avoid including MCC to get original trilogy, re-releases don't count)
3) StarCraft 2 + expansions
4) Assassin's Creed Black Flag
5) Stellaris
6) Cities Skylines

Games I probably wouldn't play again for any significant amount of time any time soon
1) Battlefield 1
2) Spec Ops: The Line
3) Valkyria Chronicles 4
4) Metal Gear Solid V
5) Portal 2
6) Nier: Automata

Games I haven't yet completed but would likely belong on one of the lists
1) Breath of the Wild (likely the second list)
2) Darkest Dungeon (probably the first list)
3) Red Dead Redemption 2 (second list)
4) Doom (2016) (second list)

Games I haven't played (yet) but are probably worthy of being on a GotD list:
1) Dark Souls

Probably plenty I'm missing even for a personal list
5) Ori and the Blind Forest (second list)
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Both GTA V and RDR2 were massive let downs IMO.. RDR2 is awful its a massive world filled with nothing, people who go on about how great and beautiful the environment is in the game need to step outdoors tbh. GTA V is a joke also, the single player (which is what GTA is supposed to be about) is too damn short and easy I felt zero challenge, not one mission was even remotely challenging, now all they do is milk people for micro transactions.
I'd personally say Skyrim is massively overrated too, also a massive world filled with nothing, but even more nothing, a terrible engine, and plot lines that I find it hard to get at all invested in
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1) Zelda a Link Between Worlds 3DS - Masterpiece of a game
2) Fallout 4 - Far from perfect but got so much right
3) Witcher 3 - I felt it missed something that fallout 4 had but I can't place it.
4) Last of US - If a game like this came out now it would be pretty average but at the time it was something special.
5) Mass effect 2 - Replayed a million times.
6) Star Wars Fallen Order - Really liked
7) Deus Ex: Human Revolution - A good story but combat was fun and so was hacking
8) Bioshock Infinite - Story was good and I liked the art style.
9) Bloodbourne - I raged so much at this game but its far better than Dark Souls.
10) God of War 2018 - Yes boy, I mean the new one.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I'd personally say Skyrim is massively overrated too, also a massive world filled with nothing, but even more nothing, a terrible engine, and plot lines that I find it hard to get at all invested in
Same, I couldn't get past the 2 hour mark with Skyrim.
But Fallout 4 the story (not the main quest) had me hooked.

I'd also agree with you on Black Flag that was a lot of fun.
I haven't played an AC game since.
Last edited by adam271; 1 month ago
ibyghee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Since when has anyone, bought micro transactions on GTA. Literally only YouTubers do that. It's easy to make money on GTA. The single player was quality imo.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ibyghee)
Since when has anyone, bought micro transactions on GTA. Literally only YouTubers do that. It's easy to make money on GTA. The single player was quality imo.
The fact they're still there would suggest quite a lot of people, not just youtubers, use the MTX
ibyghee
Rep:
?
For me, since I like multiplayer games and stick to one.
It has to be rainbow six. Although I only started that 3 years ago.its gotten me addicted since.
Before that, it was black ops 2, man were those fun times. Playing all the way till night with friends.
Warframe, that game...is a bloody addiction machine, luckily I got out. I remember a time when I played the same mission 4 hours in a row to get 1 piece of armour. Didn't get it in the end. Spent the rest of my holidays addicted on it. I'd get literal headaches, but I'd keep playing. It's just...a different game.
But battlefield 1, short-lived...but man did I grind it during my GCSEs. I remember it was November it came out a week before Christmas holidays. I got on that Friday, loved it. Christmas holidays came, got 150 hours on that game in 2 weeks...it was awesome.
Oldest game I still play, this ain't really this decade but ey, i still play it. I remember when I was 8 playing god of war chains of Olympus on my psp my dad bought me for £20 from some guy. Ye I know this game got a load of nudity but I was too innocent to realise. I repeat the story from time to time.
Honourable mentions, battlefield 4, basically all the battlefields mainly battlefield bad company. That got me into battlefield. GTA V, I loved the multiplayer. Insurgency, realism at its finest(but not too real) COD advanced warfare(unpopular opinion) still loved it though. To be honest, some people hate jetpacks because they are too unskilled to use it. So they get jealous of people who skillfully jump around and kill them. COD MW1/2/3. The new COD MW still needs get my head around it to see if it deserves my affection. Far cry 4 was a great single player game. Fallout 4 also a great game. World of warships, great strategy game. Hopefully haven't missed any.
But the main game, has to be witcher 3...that game was just...I can't even explain. The story the depth the characters the environment everything, is just...10/10. Best single player game ever. So much so I don't wanna play it again for another 5 years so I can truly forget and experience it again. That's how much I liked it.
ibyghee
Rep:
?
The fact they're still there would suggest quite a lot of people, not just youtubers, use the MTX
Trust me, no GTA player that plays often uses MTX. No way someone would do that, £6 for 500,000? Bruh or you can do 1 or 2 hiests, have fun and get the same amount. Like I checked on Reddit basically everyone said they don't buy in game GTA money.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Trust me, no GTA player that plays often uses MTX. No way someone would do that, £6 for 500,000? Bruh or you can do 1 or 2 hiests, have fun and get the same amount. Like I checked on Reddit basically everyone said they don't buy in game GTA money.
They're not the sorts of people that will do it, and if it really were just YouTubers using MTX they'd get rid of it for PR purposes and just give the YouTubers the money
abcthe123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Probably one of the most well done FPS games ever. There wasn't a single CoD that came close to this one afterwards.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Battlefield at it's best. For all of the incredible graphics and level design that came after this, it still remains one of the greatest, at least most fun (imo) BF game to date.

Fallout: New Vegas - Even though it was glitchy as ****, this is the only Fallout game that really has a character to me, in the music, the characters environment etc just work and create something special. I can't wait for the day of NV2 if it ever happens.

Skate 3 - Still massively popular today on consoles 10 years later, which speaks volumes, no other sports game has done that. It is probably the best skateboarding game ever.

Dishonoured- A fantastically well done game, albeit a bit too short. Made by many of the same creators as Half Life 2 so no surprise.

Portal 2/CS:GO. Valve, nuff said.
ibyghee
Rep:
?
They're not the sorts of people that will do it, and if it really were just YouTubers using MTX they'd get rid of it for PR purposes and just give the YouTubers the money
Bruh, only a few buy it bro, it's just there as an option. I don't even know how to claim one anyway, and I've got hundreds of hours on it. I never even came across the thought to buy it. So do the people on Reddit think that. They all think its its easier to just play.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Call of duty.... 😂
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also what I didn’t realise is that you can buy WIU sports club on switch.

Battlefield V is my favourite game of all time, I’ve apparently spent 136 hours on the game
Darelz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some of my personal favourites have been:

- Danganronpa 2. I love the Danganronpa series for how it creates a totally unique atmosphere. Rui Komatsuzaki and Masafumi provide the series with a distinctive art-style and sound track I never get tired of. I've also never encountered a game which combines absurd comedy and dark themes quite so well as the Danganronpa franchise. I personally think Danganronpa 2 is the best in the series, owing to it having some of the best developed characters and interesting mysteries (mysteries is where DRV3 falls shorts in my opinion). Shoutout to Danganronpa Despair Girls for exploring the series' darker themes so well despite "just" being a spin-off game.

- Deathgarden, a game which unfortunately died before it was even properly developed. Deathgarden was the first game ever where I became truly engaged with the community and made friends through a gaming community. I will never forget the memories I made with the community, even if we go our separate ways now the game is dead. Deathgarden was by no means a polished game, but it tried to do something unique, and for that I thank the developers.

- Portal 2. I'm not going to bother explaining this one, I'm sure y'all have already heard plenty of rave reviews for Portal 2 already. If you haven't already just play the Portal games, they're universally loved for a reason.

- Beat Saber. I struggle to motivate myself to exercise, but beat saber manages to make me enjoy physical exertion. You can download custom songs, so you can feel like a badass ninja as you jam along to your favourite tracks. Beat saber is one of the most popular VR games for a reason, so if you have access you VR you should check it out.

- Epic Battle Fantasy (4 and 5). The first EBF game was a simple turn-based flash game, but the series has developed so much from there. EBF 4 + 5 make turn-based combat engaging as it genuinely feels like there are countless options in developing strategies. The EBF series also has a silly sense of humour, so it's a fun pick-me-up kinda game you can play when you're feeling down.

- Choice of Robots. Choice of Games are a company which develop text-based adventure games - yes, they're making text-based adventures in 2020. These games aren't for everyone, but if you don't mind reading and are all about story-driven games then it's worth checking out some of their free games. Because there are no graphics and relatively simple coding, Choice of Games are able to create games with truly branching narratives, rather than the usual "branching" narrative in games where one decision determines one of a few possible endings. Choice of Robots is my favourite Choice of game because its themes emotionally resonated with me and because I think it has the most branching possibilities of the Choice of games I've played.

- Dungeon Maker (by GameCoaster). Dungeon Maker is a rogue-like management sim with gacha elements. When I first downloaded Dungeon Maker it was grindy, had translation issues, and had poor UI. The developers have resolved all of those issues though, and are dedicated to continuing to improve Dungeon Maker. Dungeon Maker is where I go to when I need a gacha fix without spending any money, as it incorporates gacha mechanics without a premium currency being used to buy random elements. The game contains microtransactions, but you know exactly what you're getting and you can access all of the game's mechanics easily enough without them. If you enjoy roguelikes and management sims or want to get your gacha fix on the cheap, then I recommend checking out Dungeon Maker.

There are probably some games I thoroughly enjoyed closer to the start of the decade, but I was a tween then so I can't remember them for the life of me. I hope I might have gotten some of you interested in some more niche games!

EDIT:
I remember another one I enjoyed when I was younger! LittleBigPlanet (1+2) provided me hours of entertainment with my family. It's a game that is genuinely entertaining for all of the family as the basic mechanics are accessible but there are more challenging levels/aspects for family members more interested in gaming So shout out the LBP for allowing me to connect with my family through video-games!
Last edited by Darelz; 1 month ago
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You think no one is buy micro transactions on GTA? Lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%
No- I want it (120)
26.67%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.56%

Watched Threads