Top Games of the decade Watch

Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ibyghee)
Bruh, only a few buy it bro, it's just there as an option. I don't even know how to claim one anyway, and I've got hundreds of hours on it. I never even came across the thought to buy it. So do the people on Reddit think that. They all think its its easier to just play.
Again: it isn't for those who will put hundreds of hours in, it isn't for the people who will be active on reddit, it's for people who have "too much money" and want to be able to get anything they want immediately, with the internet rallying so hard against MTX in recent years the PR boost from dropping MTX would be significant, but why do that when revenues from GTA Online alone would make it one of the highest grossing video games in history. Three years ago GTA Online had grossed in excess of $1bn, MTX alone raked in over half a billion in 2016, that's not "only a few", that's a minimum of 5m shark cards sold, probably more like 25m

Reddit always gives a distorted view, but the numbers never lie (unless you're talking about Enron)
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
killerspeedforce
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Darelz)
Some of my personal favourites have been:

- Danganronpa 2. I love the Danganronpa series for how it creates a totally unique atmosphere. Rui Komatsuzaki and Masafumi provide the series with a distinctive art-style and sound track I never get tired of. I've also never encountered a game which combines absurd comedy and dark themes quite so well as the Danganronpa franchise. I personally think Danganronpa 2 is the best in the series, owing to it having some of the best developed characters and interesting mysteries (mysteries is where DRV3 falls shorts in my opinion). Shoutout to Danganronpa Despair Girls for exploring the series' darker themes so well despite "just" being a spin-off game.

- Deathgarden, a game which unfortunately died before it was even properly developed. Deathgarden was the first game ever where I became truly engaged with the community and made friends through a gaming community. I will never forget the memories I made with the community, even if we go our separate ways now the game is dead. Deathgarden was by no means a polished game, but it tried to do something unique, and for that I thank the developers.

- Portal 2. I'm not going to bother explaining this one, I'm sure y'all have already heard plenty of rave reviews for Portal 2 already. If you haven't already just play the Portal games, they're universally loved for a reason.

- Beat Saber. I struggle to motivate myself to exercise, but beat saber manages to make me enjoy physical exertion. You can download custom songs, so you can feel like a badass ninja as you jam along to your favourite tracks. Beat saber is one of the most popular VR games for a reason, so if you have access you VR you should check it out.

- Epic Battle Fantasy (4 and 5). The first EBF game was a simple turn-based flash game, but the series has developed so much from there. EBF 4 + 5 make turn-based combat engaging as it genuinely feels like there are countless options in developing strategies. The EBF series also has a silly sense of humour, so it's a fun pick-me-up kinda game you can play when you're feeling down.

- Choice of Robots. Choice of Games are a company which develop text-based adventure games - yes, they're making text-based adventures in 2020. These games aren't for everyone, but if you don't mind reading and are all about story-driven games then it's worth checking out some of their free games. Because there are no graphics and relatively simple coding, Choice of Games are able to create games with truly branching narratives, rather than the usual "branching" narrative in games where one decision determines one of a few possible endings. Choice of Robots is my favourite Choice of game because its themes emotionally resonated with me and because I think it has the most branching possibilities of the Choice of games I've played.

- Dungeon Maker (by GameCoaster). Dungeon Maker is a rogue-like management sim with gacha elements. When I first downloaded Dungeon Maker it was grindy, had translation issues, and had poor UI. The developers have resolved all of those issues though, and are dedicated to continuing to improve Dungeon Maker. Dungeon Maker is where I go to when I need a gacha fix without spending any money, as it incorporates gacha mechanics without a premium currency being used to buy random elements. The game contains microtransactions, but you know exactly what you're getting and you can access all of the game's mechanics easily enough without them. If you enjoy roguelikes and management sims or want to get your gacha fix on the cheap, then I recommend checking out Dungeon Maker.

There are probably some games I thoroughly enjoyed closer to the start of the decade, but I was a tween then so I can't remember them for the life of me. I hope I might have gotten some of you interested in some more niche games!

EDIT:
I remember another one I enjoyed when I was younger! LittleBigPlanet (1+2) provided me hours of entertainment with my family. It's a game that is genuinely entertaining for all of the family as the basic mechanics are accessible but there are more challenging levels/aspects for family members more interested in gaming So shout out the LBP for allowing me to connect with my family through video-games!
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
You think no one is buy micro transactions on GTA? Lmao
according to the national games database, league of legends is the most played game with a player base of 400 million.
ibyghee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
You think no one is buy micro transactions on GTA? Lmao
well obviously not no one, only a few.
ibyghee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Again: it isn't for those who will put hundreds of hours in, it isn't for the people who will be active on reddit, it's for people who have "too much money" and want to be able to get anything they want immediately, with the internet rallying so hard against MTX in recent years the PR boost from dropping MTX would be significant, but why do that when revenues from GTA Online alone would make it one of the highest grossing video games in history. Three years ago GTA Online had grossed in excess of $1bn, MTX alone raked in over half a billion in 2016, that's not "only a few", that's a minimum of 5m shark cards sold, probably more like 25m

Reddit always gives a distorted view, but the numbers never lie (unless you're talking about Enron)
ok but, when has MTX ever been a downside in GTA V? Like it has never come to most peoples mind, I wish I could buy money instead of playing for it.
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The last of us, outlast and infamous

I played infamous

But I haven’t got round to playing outlast or last of us. Its soooo damn interesting. I’ve watched a million gameplays on it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads