ambergrayston94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone know what is expected from unit 3 of an access course. Do they want an essay or just a short chunk of information with the 2-3 sentence examples of both citation and paraphrasing? There's no word limit to work off so I have no idea where to start someone please help!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ambergrayston94)
Does anyone know what is expected from unit 3 of an access course. Do they want an essay or just a short chunk of information with the 2-3 sentence examples of both citation and paraphrasing? There's no word limit to work off so I have no idea where to start someone please help!
It doesnt really help because access courses are institution specific.
If in doubt as your direct classmates or the tutor.
You can also cut and paste examples or the unit 3 question here so people can assess what they think is being sought.
oldagedstudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I certainly didn't do an essay, just copied a chunk then either paraphrased or quoted from it underneath.
amytommo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I am on this unit now. I was wondering if you could help me.
I have done
Header
Original text
Paraphrase/quotation (cited)
Reference

Do I need to put the original text in quotation marks and cite that too?? I'm so confused. Thanks!
Last edited by amytommo; 1 year ago
amytommo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is exactly what I've done but not submitted yet.
I am super confused on the voting/Harvard referencing. Have I done this right??

Purpose of Education in Society

“Education is Self-Empowerment. Receiving a good education helps empower you, thus making you strong enough to look after yourself in any given situation. It keeps you aware of your given surrounding as well as the rules and regulations of the society you're living in. It's only through knowledge that you can be able to question authority for its negligence or discrepancies. It is only then that you can avail your rights as a citizen and seek improvement in the structural functioning of governance and economy. It's only when a citizen is aware about the policies of its government can he be able to support or protest the change. As a whole, people can bring about development only when they know where improvement is necessary for the greater good of mankind. Education helps you understand yourself better, it helps you realize your potential and qualities as a human being. It helps you to tap into latent talent, so that you may be able to sharpen your skills.”

Receiving a good education will give you the confidence you need to tackle any situation. It will keep you aware of your surroundings and the rules that society holds. (Mohan, 2012)

Helps Plan Ahead

“Those who have amassed enough education, steer the path of development and progress for their country. It is these individuals who go ahead and become teachers, scientists, inventors, welfare activists, soldiers, and politicians who work together to form the very backbone of the society. Without this pool of intellect, the economic and social framework would crumple and fall, paving its way for anarchy, degradation, and violence. While this intricate balance of growth is maintained, there will be a continuous rise in progress in all quarters of life, whether that be personal growth, or development of the nation as an entity. This progress has a very important role to play for the coming generations, which will reap the benefits of our hard work, as they develop it further. At the same time, the negative impact of our actions shall have its collateral damage on the coming generation as well. Which is why we must be exceptionally prudent about the decisions we make and the actions we take in the present.”

“This progress has a very important role to play for the coming generations, which will reap the benefits of our hard work, as they develop it further. At the same time, the negative impact of our actions shall have its collateral damage on the coming generation as well.” (Mohan, 2012)

Job Seeker vs. Job Provider

“There will come a time, when you will no longer feel the need to be working as someone's mere employee. You would want to take charge and control over your own life and income. This is when you will decide to become a self-employed individual, who would like to watch his / her own ideas take realistic form. You would prefer being the one offering job opportunities to others and aid in providing income to them. At this stage of entrepreneurship, you may use your own expertise as well as that of other trained and skilled associates. As a team, you will find your business or venture expanding and yielding good results. You may even gain the confidence and insight, which will help you diversify and spread your expertise into other business arenas, which were previously unknown to you, or you were unsure about. This ability, comes with experience and knowledge amassed over the years.”

One day you may decide that you don’t want to work for somebody else any longer and want to become your own boss. By doing this you can take control of your life and income whilst you watch your ideas come to life. (Mohan, 2012)

On the Job Efficiency

“This is why college education is very important after high school and must not be taken for granted. When faced with the option of choosing between a highly qualified candidate and a not so educated candidate, the employers will most probably go in for the qualified person. The reason being that, a qualified candidate will not require much investment of the employer's time and money. The organization need not teach him or her the tricks of the trade, or the various ways of functioning and performing the tasks of the workplace. On the contrary, a novice / amateur applicant would need to be taught everything from scratch, which many employers are usually not willing to do. The same applies for people who seek higher education and get advanced diplomas while working. These people are continuously improving their profile and their knowledge base so as to go higher up on the competitive ladder.”

“When faced with the option of choosing between a highly qualified candidate and a not so educated candidate, the employers will most probably go in for the qualified person. The reason being that, a qualified candidate will not require much investment of the employer's time and money. The organization need not teach him or her the tricks of the trade, or the various ways of functioning and performing the tasks of the workplace.” (Mohen, 2012)

Reference: Mohan, R. (2012), “The Importance of Education in Society”,
oldagedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by amytommo)
Hi,
I am on this unit now. I was wondering if you could help me.
I have done
Header
Original text
Paraphrase/quotation (cited)
Reference

Do I need to put the original text in quotation marks and cite that too?? I'm so confused. Thanks!
So I did:
Header
Original text
Paraphrase underneath (cited)
Same as above for 2nd example
Header
Original text
Soandso (year) stated that:
"original text repeated"
Same for second example
Reference

Does that help? Let me know if I've not explained it very well.
amytommo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by oldagedstudent)
So I did:
Header
Original text
Header
Original text
"original text repeated"
Same for second example
Reference

That's a massive help! Thank you!
Do you need to put the original text in quotation marks/cite or anything or just leave it as it is?
oldagedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I only put my quotation example in quotation marks, I didn't use them with the original section I copied.
amytommo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I only put my quotation example in quotation marks, I didn't use them with the original section I copied.
Fab! Thanks so much!
ulee81
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I've stuck on this question as well. I asked the tutor but her answer wasn't really helpful. Still confused Could you please help me out? What exactly is the "header"? Is it the title of the paragraphs in the article? Also, the "original text" is the whole paragraph or just the 2-3 sentences you quoted?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by ulee81; 8 months ago
oldagedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, sorry I was slow to reply, yes, the header is the title of the paragraphs. When doing the direct quotations I didn't copy all the paragraph as the original text, just the sentences I was using.
ulee81
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, sorry I was slow to reply, yes, the header is the title of the paragraphs. When doing the direct quotations I didn't copy all the paragraph as the original text, just the sentences I was using.
Thanks a lot!
Catheine55
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
how do you know who referenced it ? im struggling on finding that
maddy2181
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I did the exact same thing but my tutor said it doesn't make sense. Could I have a look at your work so I can see if Ive layed it out correctly? x Thankyou
SamBra
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am struggling BIG time with this

I just don't get it. Is it possible to see someones? I'm useless unless I see it for myself (I'm a doer not a thinker lol)
Reed1985
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by amytommo)
This is exactly what I've done but not submitted yet.
I am super confused on the voting/Harvard referencing. Have I done this right??

Purpose of Education in Society

“Education is Self-Empowerment. Receiving a good education helps empower you, thus making you strong enough to look after yourself in any given situation. It keeps you aware of your given surrounding as well as the rules and regulations of the society you're living in. It's only through knowledge that you can be able to question authority for its negligence or discrepancies. It is only then that you can avail your rights as a citizen and seek improvement in the structural functioning of governance and economy. It's only when a citizen is aware about the policies of its government can he be able to support or protest the change. As a whole, people can bring about development only when they know where improvement is necessary for the greater good of mankind. Education helps you understand yourself better, it helps you realize your potential and qualities as a human being. It helps you to tap into latent talent, so that you may be able to sharpen your skills.”

Receiving a good education will give you the confidence you need to tackle any situation. It will keep you aware of your surroundings and the rules that society holds. (Mohan, 2012)

Helps Plan Ahead

“Those who have amassed enough education, steer the path of development and progress for their country. It is these individuals who go ahead and become teachers, scientists, inventors, welfare activists, soldiers, and politicians who work together to form the very backbone of the society. Without this pool of intellect, the economic and social framework would crumple and fall, paving its way for anarchy, degradation, and violence. While this intricate balance of growth is maintained, there will be a continuous rise in progress in all quarters of life, whether that be personal growth, or development of the nation as an entity. This progress has a very important role to play for the coming generations, which will reap the benefits of our hard work, as they develop it further. At the same time, the negative impact of our actions shall have its collateral damage on the coming generation as well. Which is why we must be exceptionally prudent about the decisions we make and the actions we take in the present.”

“This progress has a very important role to play for the coming generations, which will reap the benefits of our hard work, as they develop it further. At the same time, the negative impact of our actions shall have its collateral damage on the coming generation as well.” (Mohan, 2012)

Job Seeker vs. Job Provider

“There will come a time, when you will no longer feel the need to be working as someone's mere employee. You would want to take charge and control over your own life and income. This is when you will decide to become a self-employed individual, who would like to watch his / her own ideas take realistic form. You would prefer being the one offering job opportunities to others and aid in providing income to them. At this stage of entrepreneurship, you may use your own expertise as well as that of other trained and skilled associates. As a team, you will find your business or venture expanding and yielding good results. You may even gain the confidence and insight, which will help you diversify and spread your expertise into other business arenas, which were previously unknown to you, or you were unsure about. This ability, comes with experience and knowledge amassed over the years.”

One day you may decide that you don’t want to work for somebody else any longer and want to become your own boss. By doing this you can take control of your life and income whilst you watch your ideas come to life. (Mohan, 2012)

On the Job Efficiency

“This is why college education is very important after high school and must not be taken for granted. When faced with the option of choosing between a highly qualified candidate and a not so educated candidate, the employers will most probably go in for the qualified person. The reason being that, a qualified candidate will not require much investment of the employer's time and money. The organization need not teach him or her the tricks of the trade, or the various ways of functioning and performing the tasks of the workplace. On the contrary, a novice / amateur applicant would need to be taught everything from scratch, which many employers are usually not willing to do. The same applies for people who seek higher education and get advanced diplomas while working. These people are continuously improving their profile and their knowledge base so as to go higher up on the competitive ladder.”

“When faced with the option of choosing between a highly qualified candidate and a not so educated candidate, the employers will most probably go in for the qualified person. The reason being that, a qualified candidate will not require much investment of the employer's time and money. The organization need not teach him or her the tricks of the trade, or the various ways of functioning and performing the tasks of the workplace.” (Mohen, 2012)

Reference: Mohan, R. (2012), “The Importance of Education in Society”,
hi which part is the quotation. I've got one from the author from the Internet but not sure if I'm aloud to write that. Thanks
Danicaann_27
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Anyone got any advise or progress from this unit. I’m struggling on this one too. Please send help 😭
ulee81
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You have a text from the assessor. Mine was, for example, an article from Mohan. Choose a paragraph from it.
This is how it should look:
PARAPHRASE

HEADER OF THE PARAGRAPH (for example: ON THE JOB EFFICIENCY)
Copy 2-3 sentences from the paragraph.

Summerize the meaning of the text with your own words. Then put (Mohen, 2012) at the end.
Do it one more time.

QUOTATION

According to Mohan (2012) (or, there are some variations you can use here), "copy the sentences, using quotation marks".
Once again.

Reference at the end.
abigailstjohn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do you have to quote or paraphrase the same sentences? I sent mine to the assesor for feedback and she said please look at layout. I have done-PARAPHRASE 1
Header
Original text
My example plus cited
Last edited by abigailstjohn; 2 months ago
staceyjane90
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I did:
Header
Original text
Header
Original text
"original text repeated"
Same for second example
Reference

(Original post by ulee81)
You have a text from the assessor. Mine was, for example, an article from Mohan. Choose a paragraph from it.
This is how it should look:
PARAPHRASE

Summerize the meaning of the text with your own words. Then put (Mohen, 2012) at the end.
Do it one more time.

QUOTATION

According to Mohan (2012) (or, there are some variations you can use here), "copy the sentences, using quotation marks".
Once again.

Reference at the end.
hi i was just wondering if you could help. is it 2 examples from the whole text or 2 from each of the headers? thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (95)
63.76%
I don't have everything I need (54)
36.24%

Watched Threads