lizzieroberts23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I applied to imperial college because I went to an open day and really liked it. I’ve always wanted to move to a big city, especially London, and the university itself and my course looked great (and the v generous bursary!). However I’ve heard some rumours about ICL (e.g boring, nerdy, no social life, cliquey...etc). I know this question has been asked a few times, but was just wondering if anyone could say if they’re true or not? Obviously I know university life is what you make of it and I do want to obviously work hard, but I also want to have a good time at uni. How hard is it to have a good time at imperial college?
lizzieroberts23
Rep:
?
(Original post by lizzieroberts23)
So I applied to imperial college because I went to an open day and really liked it. I’ve always wanted to move to a big city, especially London, and the university itself and my course looked great (and the v generous bursary!). However I’ve heard some rumours about ICL (e.g boring, nerdy, no social life, cliquey...etc). I know this question has been asked a few times, but was just wondering if anyone could say if they’re true or not? Obviously I know university life is what you make of it and I do want to obviously work hard, but I also want to have a good time at uni. How hard is it to have a good time at imperial college?
FYI I want to study medical biosciences
Muhammad Razak
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry kinda off topic but did u get an offer? Also, I kinda heard the same thing but London is London so there should b a social life available as long as u plan ahead. It could just be a myth.
lizzieroberts23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muhammad Razak)
Sorry kinda off topic but did u get an offer? Also, I kinda heard the same thing but London is London so there should b a social life available as long as u plan ahead. It could just be a myth.
Nah I haven’t heard back from them yet, so I don’t even know if I have a chance of going there 😂 yeah I’m hoping it’s all just talk, but I don’t know anyone personally who goes there so I can’t check and it must be different for everyone who goes there. Did u also apply/apply for the same course?
Muhammad Razak
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah I haven’t heard back from them yet, so I don’t even know if I have a chance of going there 😂 yeah I’m hoping it’s all just talk, but I don’t know anyone personally who goes there so I can’t check and it must be different for everyone who goes there. Did u also apply/apply for the same course?
I applied for Chemistry and hold technically an unconditional offer as I'm on a gap year. I'm sure you'll get an offer. To put u at ease look at it this way, Oxbridge have 8 week terms and students there still have a social life so why can't u at Imperial? That's what I always think to put my mind at ease atleast
Last edited by Muhammad Razak; 1 year ago
lizzieroberts23
Rep:
?
I applied for Chemistry and hold technically an unconditional offer as I'm on a gap year. I'm sure you'll get an offer. To put u at ease look at it this way, Oxbridge have 8 week terms and students there still have a social life so why can't u at Imperial? That's what I always think to put my mind at ease atleast
Ahh that’s so good, congratulations! Yeah I hope so too, because I really like the look of it. I’m sure it is all talk, and besides if it is true, you’re in London - there must be something to do. Good luck with the future!
Muhammad Razak
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ahh that’s so good, congratulations! Yeah I hope so too, because I really like the look of it. I’m sure it is all talk, and besides if it is true, you’re in London - there must be something to do. Good luck with the future!
Thanks, good luck 2 u aswell. Only thing bad about it for me is that London's expensive.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congrats on the place . IC courses are typically demanding and come with lots of contact time, labs, project work etc that you have to treat like a full time job plus a bit of overtime, which is one of the reasons they carry real value afterwards. A 50 hour week is pretty common for students who want to do well (and thats less than a typical IC staff load BTW). But thats a perfectly managable workload and leaves plenty of time to fit in some clubs and a decent social life along side. I think IC SU runs more clubs and societies than anyone else, which kind of suggests students have time to to spend on them.

https://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/activities/a-to-z

As ever, you get out what you put in, lots of people commute into college so social life can take a bit more planning than a campus uni, but the big city has lots more to do. Some IC students are very work focused, but its a big enough and diverse enough place that you will find your people. Remember that you and the others in this thread are examples of future IC undergrads, so you know that there are going to be others just like you there .
Imperial students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi lizzieroberts23,

I'm Maya and I'm a current 2nd year Biological Sciences student at Imperial. I just thought I'd give you my experience of being a student in London. I fell in love with Imperial after coming to an open day a couple years back, and like you I've always been attracted to living in a busy city (I live in Bath normally so it's like a different world!) so London is an ideal place for me. I also get the Imperial bursary and it help out with the expensive living costs.

I know this question has been asked a few times, but was just wondering if anyone could say if they’re true or not?

Regarding the environment, I'd say that Imperial naturally attracts lots of hardworking people that are really passionate about their subject, but I would disagree that life here is boring. There are loads of different clubs and societies (almost 400) so we there are definitely opportunities to do stuff other than academic work. Also the fact that we're based in London means that there's always stuff going on in the city. In terms of cliques, I wouldn't say that's something I've particularly noticed here.

How hard is it to have a good time at imperial college?

Personally I would say not too hard! There are definitely times where I have an intense workload, but I'm also able to do stuff with friends (ice skating, dinners, cinema trips, going out etc.). So it's definitely possible to have a good time here, it just depends on your personal preferences whether the uni is the right fit for you.

If you have any other questions about Imperial life or student life in London feel free to ask me.

Maya
Adereal
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I applied to imperial and have an offer and I spent a week of summer there and it was very fun so I reckon the social life is the same as other universities
Muhammad Razak
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Adereal)
I applied to imperial and have an offer and I spent a week of summer there and it was very fun so I reckon the social life is the same as other universities
Really? That's good to hear. What course did you apply for?
udbfu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know it has been a year since this has been posted, however I am divided as to whether i should firm imperial, and I was wondering how you found the social life?
Muhammad Razak
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by udbfu)
I know it has been a year since this has been posted, however I am divided as to whether i should firm imperial, and I was wondering how you found the social life?
I'm so sorry but because of the circumstances I can't really answer that because we've mainly been online. Most ppl have probably made friends via group chats etc. But I'm a shy guy so I keep to myself. The fact we haven't been in classes together means most ppl don't have alot of friends and definitely don't go to events w them. I have to say that it's gonna be the same for 2md years as 1st years bc we don't k campus life and most probably will have a freshers. Sorry couldn't help u
udbfu
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm so sorry but because of the circumstances I can't really answer that because we've mainly been online. Most ppl have probably made friends via group chats etc. But I'm a shy guy so I keep to myself. The fact we haven't been in classes together means most ppl don't have alot of friends and definitely don't go to events w them. I have to say that it's gonna be the same for 2md years as 1st years bc we don't k campus life and most probably will have a freshers. Sorry couldn't help u
I really appreciate the response and that's a shame. I think next year it's meant to be a mix of in person and online, and I am also moving to halls. Still not quite sure tho on whether or not too firm it, was the workload reasonable? Although saying that I realise you haven't had labs this year.
Muhammad Razak
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by udbfu)
I really appreciate the response and that's a shame. I think next year it's meant to be a mix of in person and online, and I am also moving to halls. Still not quite sure tho on whether or not too firm it, was the workload reasonable? Although saying that I realise you haven't had labs this year.
No we have had labs. Alot of them remote and a few in-person but this term is dedicated to labs. Well work load it's alot but manageable if you're not lazy like I was. It's difficult bc u have exams in January and then again at the end of April/ Beg. May. U just gotta do the work when u need to. I think next year is mostly gonna be in-person. They're definitely aiming for it all to be in-person but some aspects worked better online so they may carry those on. Ngl some labs r whack and I hate them but that's bc it's not in my field of expertise or what I enjoy. Other labs r stressful but u get help from assistants. I can't tell u how it is to live in halls bc I haven't.
udbfu
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No we have had labs. Alot of them remote and a few in-person but this term is dedicated to labs. Well work load it's alot but manageable if you're not lazy like I was. It's difficult bc u have exams in January and then again at the end of April/ Beg. May. U just gotta do the work when u need to. I think next year is mostly gonna be in-person. They're definitely aiming for it all to be in-person but some aspects worked better online so they may carry those on. Ngl some labs r whack and I hate them but that's bc it's not in my field of expertise or what I enjoy. Other labs r stressful but u get help from assistants. I can't tell u how it is to live in halls bc I haven't.
Thanks for the insight, are you generally happy you chose Imperial, because it honestly doesn't sound like you are or do you think you might have a better time at another university like Bristol?
JustSomeGuy:/
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What have you applied for and what other unis are you thinking about? (also congrats on the offer!)
udbfu
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aeronautical engineering, I have a few scottish unis, Imperial and Bristol university. I am heavily leaning towards imperial however i am worried about what my standard of life would be like at imperial, and i would at least like the opportunity to have a social life, and there is so many mixed opinions on whether you can achieve a social life, i dont know what to believe.
JustSomeGuy:/
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As far as I'm aware, the social life that you have is completely dependent on the person, not the university. I've heard about the many many social activities at the university/colleges and obviously expect/try to make friends on freshers week (maybe we'll meet on freshers week for all we know lmao). However, if you're not approaching anyone, don't expect them to approach you... you're in charge of your social life, not the university. London is the number 1 city for student life globally and you're best to make use of it . I think the rumours are simply based on: Imperial is a very prestigious university (or London unis in general) that has high requirements hence only nerds go there (probably true), however nerds can be VERY social if they want to be (especially when with other nerds!). So, I wouldn't really take anything about what people say to heart because, at least in my opinion, where you are doesn't really determine whether you have a social life, and even then imperial offers many activities and clubs/societies (over 200 from what I've heard :eek:)! It's also about finding the right work to social balance which can be hard but if you can manage that, you'll be fine !
Muhammad Razak
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by udbfu)
Thanks for the insight, are you generally happy you chose Imperial, because it honestly doesn't sound like you are or do you think you might have a better time at another university like Bristol?
No no, I am happy it's just I've been rlly lazy. Because we go at quite a fast pace it means u can't be lazy like me. I do minimal work and yh I had some problems. Overall it is a rlly good uni and work load is manageable you just have to not be a bum like me and I'm sure you'll love it. Honestly Idk Bristol never been. It might be that my hearts not in it as much bc we're at home and I can't focus but genuinely Imperial is a good place to go. Yes like all unis it has it's cons and that is some teachers r shite. They explain minimal amount but that's the uni way. U need to use textbooks and do your own research. Most lecturers/ professors explain well and deliver the content well it's just a few
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.69%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.46%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.85%

Watched Threads