Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim/Jewish Prime Minister watch

• View Poll Results: would a muslim/jewish prime minister in the UK be a good idea in the future?
    No..it would never happen anyway
    47.97%
    Yes...why not?
    52.03%

ReputationRep:
    ...in the future

-possible?
    -ridiculous?
    -great step for the future?
    -terrible idea?

DISCUSS

ReputationRep:
    Jew - possible but unlikely
    Muslim - would never happen in the forseeable future

As terrible as it may seem, i wouldnt want a muslim leading the country I think the majority of the public would feel the same.

I would be neutral on a jewish leader, however i think the christian Mp's and public wouldnt let it happen, even if they never publicly declared this.

ReputationRep:
    We've already had a Jewish PM over 100 years ago. I doubt we've gone backwards since then.

ReputationRep:
    We have already had a jewish prime minister, not many people in the UK at the moment would vote for a party lead by a muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Your poll is badly flawed. Why do you have to believe it would never happen to think it would be a bad idea?

ReputationRep:
    Like has already been said, Disraeli was Jewish, and thus we have already had a Jewish PM. However, a Muslim one is not unbelievable -- Barack's doing rather well in the US. (Not, whatever popular opinion might say, that he is a Muslim of course. But still an African-American becoming President would have been as unbelievable 50 years ago as a Muslim becoming PM today.)

ReputationRep:
    edit

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on the person. But the government don't like another religion gaining power in its homeground.

So, we'll see...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Your poll is badly flawed. Why do you have to believe it would never happen to think it would be a bad idea?

sorry

i'll try and edit it

you're right its flawed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    As terrible as it may seem, i wouldnt want a muslim leading the country
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Like has already been said, Disraeli was Jewish, and thus we have already had a Jewish PM. However, a Muslim one is not unbelievable -- Barack's doing rather well in the US.
    Isn't Barack a Christian?

ReputationRep:
    What a thought. Political correctness knows no bounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    His father converted to Christianity, so he wasn't Jewish in the traditional sense of the word. And Obama is a Christian.
    Disraeli was baptised. But, nevertheless, he was born a Jew.

And I know that Obama is Christian. Sorry, I didn't make myself clear: I've edited my post to say what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    It will doubtless happen as we progress towards better understanding of different cultures and religions. I can't see it happening in the near future though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    Jew - possible but unlikely
    Muslim - would never happen in the forseeable future

As terrible as it may seem, i wouldnt want a muslim leading the country I think the majority of the public would feel the same.

I would be neutral on a jewish leader, however i think the christian Mp's and public wouldnt let it happen, even if they never publicly declared this.

This is exactly how I feel. Jews are more integrated into the British way of life, whereas as a result of unfortunate events, Muslims don't have the same level of integration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creak)
    Why?
    Isnt that obvious? As much as i try to be unbiased, i cannot forget the amount of trouble, SOME people who follow the muslim faith, are causing. I would never be rude/biased to a muslim i met in the street, however having a muslim leading the country is different.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    A Jewish leader would represent a a problem if he/she had Zionist proclivities. Otherwise, I would be happy with either a jewish or Muslim Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    No no no no no no no no no no no and no!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.