Losing part of your license... Watch

theworldwonders
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

Well, I've searched and searched... but I still can't find my counterpart (paper) driving license. I've got my photocard though.

I was wondering whether I will need it to show my driving instructor when I begin my lessons... not sure whether to book some lessons, as I'm a little skint right now and can't afford to get the license replaced
(Mum and Dad are paying for lessons - birthday, encase you were wondering)

Thanks for any help!
geo87
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
You dont need the counterpart to start driving i didn't anyway.... But you do need to show it when you go for your theory test....
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well you need it to do your test, so at some point you will have to buy another one.
theworldwonders
Rep:
?
Ah, it sucks, because I put it in a really safe place, only it seems that place is just too safe as I can't find it...

I think I'll just have to wait until I can afford a replacement and then start learning :|

Thanks for the help though!
Callipygian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am about to start lessons and i asked my teacher if i needed to bring it and he said no, just the plastic card one, so you might be okay.
but you definatly need it for your theory+pratical test
theworldwonders
Rep:
?
(Original post by Callipygian)
I am about to start lessons and i asked my teacher if i needed to bring it and he said no, just the plastic card one, so you might be okay.
but you definatly need it for your theory+pratical test
Maybe I'll just ring up and see hopefully everything will be okay
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theworldwonders)
Ah, it sucks, because I put it in a really safe place, only it seems that place is just too safe as I can't find it...
Don't worry, you'll find it on the day you pass your test and it is no longer useful.
red_Rose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had 2 different driving instructors and neither asked to see either part of my licence.

You will however need it for your theory test, if your just starting to learn this is a way off yet so you could carry on looking for the counterpart whilst learning. I have also been told when applying for a new one it is easier to say you've lost both parts rather than just the one
theworldwonders
Rep:
?
(Original post by red_Rose)
I have also been told when applying for a new one it is easier to say you've lost both parts rather than just the one
Any real reason?

Thanks for the help
samperry209
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i wouldnt worry for theory but i would get it replaced at some point
red_Rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by theworldwonders)
Any real reason?

Thanks for the help
I think because if you've only lost the counterpart you've gotta fill in a form and send off your photocard bit. But if you've lost it all you've just gotta send the form and nothing else i believe.
theworldwonders
Rep:
?
(Original post by red_Rose)
I think because if you've only lost the counterpart you've gotta fill in a form and send off your photocard bit. But if you've lost it all you've just gotta send the form and nothing else i believe.
Ah, I'll bare this in mind
red_Rose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But you can start lessons no problem i can guarantee they wont ask to see the paper bit when your learning. So start lessons and keep looking / saving for the counterpart
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep just say you lost both parts so you don't have to bother sending half of it back
Zarogue
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not sure if it's the same for a provisional but it's worth calling the DVLA. I needed to replace the paper counterpart of my full licence about a month ago. It did cost me £17.50 but I had a brand new licence, both card and paper parts, within a week of phoning DVLA.
carcrazymat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The way they do it now is that they (DVLA) will send you both parts again so you will get a new photocard as well. it costs £17.50 to replace it.

I had to do it recently for work.

Mat
ride_a_surfer
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by carcrazymat)
The way they do it now is that they (DVLA) will send you both parts again so you will get a new photocard as well. it costs £17.50 to replace it.

I had to do it recently for work.

Mat
do you have to send in a new photo?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed