St Dominic's Sixth Form College Applicants 2020 Watch

cal24_zz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've started this forum for people who have applied to St doms. You can put anything you want such as asking questions about interviews or what it is like and you can talk about what a levels you want to do etc.

Currently in Yr 11 and have applied to St Doms
RandomHumanBeing
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I'm in the same position. I've applied to do english lit, economics and classics. What do you know about the interviews?
cal24_zz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Not sure re interviews but I attend one of the partner schools, Salvatorian College, so our interviews will be at our school. If you attend any other school, you will probably receive a letter or email regarding times of the interview at St Doms I've applied to do Politics, Business and Psychology. What are your predicted grades?
chibichibi_xx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RandomHumanBeing)
Hello, I'm in the same position. I've applied to do english lit, economics and classics. What do you know about the interviews?
I'm a second year at St Dominic's, and as far as I know there aren't any interviews to get in (I didn't attend a partner school either).
RandomHumanBeing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chibichibi_xx)
I'm a second year at St Dominic's, and as far as I know there aren't any interviews to get in (I didn't attend a partner school either).
Great! How has your experience in the school been? And if you don't mind, what subjects are you doing?
chibichibi_xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Great! How has your experience in the school been? And if you don't mind, what subjects are you doing?
Great - much better than my previous school. The teachers are like your friends and they are really approachable too. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and in first year I also did physics and an EPQ (I'd recommend you don't do an EPQ - biggest waste of time and AQA f***ed us over big time with our grades (we ALL got one/two grades lower than our predictions))

I'd be really happy answering any specific questions - all I've been doing on TSR is looking at med school forums to see if anyone's gotten in and this would be a distraction - you'd be doing me a favour.
Last edited by chibichibi_xx; 1 month ago
RandomHumanBeing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Great - much better than my previous school. The teachers are like your friends and they are really approachable too. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and in first year I also did physics and an EPQ (I'd recommend you don't do an EPQ - biggest waste of time and AQA f***ed us over big time with our grades (we ALL got one/two grades lower than our predictions))

I'd be really happy answering any specific questions - all I've been doing on TSR is looking at med school forums to see if anyone's gotten in and this would be a distraction - you'd be doing me a favour.
In that case, how are the enrichment opportunities like at the school? I'm glad I don't have to do Pe anymore, but could I just play table tennis or something during free periods? What departments have a bad name?
chibichibi_xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In that case, how are the enrichment opportunities like at the school? I'm glad I don't have to do Pe anymore, but could I just play table tennis or something during free periods? What departments have a bad name?
At lunch you can go to the sports hall and basketball court, and there are various teams you can join, and a gym (you have to pay for that though). I haven't seen any table tennis tables anywhere, but I'm they're there somewhere (I don't do sports so idk the details). I don't think any departments have a bad name, but some teachers are notorious for being REALLY boring.
RandomHumanBeing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At lunch you can go to the sports hall and basketball court, and there are various teams you can join, and a gym (you have to pay for that though). I haven't seen any table tennis tables anywhere, but I'm they're there somewhere (I don't do sports so idk the details). I don't think any departments have a bad name, but some teachers are notorious for being REALLY boring.
That's cool. I like the idea of more freedom, better than my school's sixth form currently. I've heard that the teachers don't focus on kids as much because there are so many students in the school, is this true? Thanks for the help!
chibichibi_xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's cool. I like the idea of more freedom, better than my school's sixth form currently. I've heard that the teachers don't focus on kids as much because there are so many students in the school, is this true? Thanks for the help!
No not at all - teachers have so many classes yet they still manage to remember who you are and your personality - whenever I have one-to-ones with them they seem to perfectly get who I am.
RandomHumanBeing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No not at all - teachers have so many classes yet they still manage to remember who you are and your personality - whenever I have one-to-ones with them they seem to perfectly get who I am.
That's good, I was a bit worried about that. I guess a key question is: how are the students? I'm assuming that behaviour is better because they actually care but idk. Are people generally nice to eachother? And a question from my friend 🤦*♂️, what about the trips?
znbjsm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I'm in the same position as you and I've applied to do all three sciences. I'm getting quite worried as no one has contacted for my reference, have any of you gotten a reference request?
RandomHumanBeing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ZainabJassim)
Hey, I'm in the same position as you and I've applied to do all three sciences. I'm getting quite worried as no one has contacted for my reference, have any of you gotten a reference request?
I think they emailed my school to get the reference. I'm not sure about when people are supposed to be given a place or not though, do you know?
Last edited by RandomHumanBeing; 1 month ago
znbjsm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think they emailed my school to get the reference. I'm not sure about when people are supposed to be given a place or not though, do you know?
I'm not sure about when we know who has been accepted but I assume we should know next month because the deadline was quite late.
RandomHumanBeing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure about when we know who has been accepted but I assume we should know next month because the deadline was quite late.
What subjects did you apply for?
znbjsm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What subjects did you apply for?
Chemistry, Biology and Physics but I might do Maths instead of Physics. What have you applied for?
Last edited by znbjsm; 1 month ago
RandomHumanBeing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Chemistry, Biology and Physics but I might do Maths instead of Physics. What have you applied for?
English Lit, Classics and Economics. Why do you want to change Physics to Maths?
znbjsm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
English Lit, Classics and Economics. Why do you want to change Physics to Maths?
Most of my teachers say that it is more useful if I were to go into medicine at higher education but I find it more difficult than Physics.
RandomHumanBeing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most of my teachers say that it is more useful if I were to go into medicine at higher education but I find it more difficult than Physics.
As far as I know, both subjects are great options. I have a friend who also wants to do medicine, and she's said that maths is better because it helps a lot with the other sciences you'll be doing. Have you been given your predicted grades yet?
znbjsm
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As far as I know, both subjects are great options. I have a friend who also wants to do medicine, and she's said that maths is better because it helps a lot with the other sciences you'll be doing. Have you been given your predicted grades yet?
Yeah I have, my predicted grades are all decent but my physics predicted grade is higher than my maths predicted grade. I've very torn between the two. My teachers think it's better if I stay at the schools sixth form since all the teachers know me and the class sizes are all pretty small so I would be better supported if I did do maths. I'm not really sure if the class sizes at St Doms would prevent the teacher from focusing on each individual.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?