The Student Room Group

Studying Graphic Design but now more interested in Town/Transport planning

Hello, I was wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice. I am currently in my second year of studying a degree in Graphic Design, however over the past few months, I feel that I have lost passion in the subject and cannot see myself pursuing a career relating to that degree. My primary interest is transport and since a very young age, I have enjoyed drawing road signage designs and maps of transport networks, although I have found out that a lot of graphics careers involve areas that I have no interest in whatsoever, such as advertising and marketing. In fact, I had a major falling out with my parents last summer after they told me that I would have to diversify my design work if I wish to continue with graphics. This had a major knock on effect on my confidence over the summer and I have still not yet fully recovered from the emotional trauma.

I am considering pursuing town or transport planning as a career because I have always been passionate about how cities work and enjoy sketching up ideas for infrastructure improvements in my spare time. The thing is, I want to be able to do it without having to drop out of my current degree because even though there are areas of my course I don’t enjoy, I am on target to getting a 2:1 and do not want to have to start from the bottom again with another undergraduate degree. Going to university has also given me so much confidence from making large friendship groups and living independently, something which I never had much opportunity to do back at home because I was at special school for most of my life. I worry that if I drop out now, all of this which I worked so hard for will be gone forever.

I am looking at doing an internship in the transport department at a local council this summer, but the thing is, will I be considered if my degree is not in a related subject? Will I need to study for more GCSEs? (I only have English, Maths and BTEC in Art, another problem with being at special school) Is it an issue that I have not had any paid occupation since August 2018, even though I have been studying most of the time? These are just some of the many questions that concern me when thinking about my future and it would be great if someone could give me some advice so these thoughts don’t have to be constantly on my mind.
Going in the order I get to them as I read up your post:
1. It's an iternship, they're expecting students, they won't be expecting continual employment (but even if you don't get that specific internship, getting a different one would be good.
2. As long as you have Maths and English at GCSE Grade C or above (or the new equivalent), they will be happy for basic jobs. Moving forward into the future other jobs may have certain other requirements.
3. As for the related subject, you may run into issues there. Today a lot of applications ask for evidence of skills you can apply to the role, make sure you push across your transferable skills. They may just be looking for a standard geography or civil engineering student, you'll have to show them how you're capable.
4. At this point you'll be very nearly at, if not already past, the effective half way point of your degree (assuminbg a 3 year course), I obviously can't tell you what to do, I know nothing about you, but it would be stupid to drop out now, a degree is a degree, consider taking modules that can help you branch out if they're available, and look at perhaps some online courses to get skills in different areas. Looking forward, look at postgrad courses in an area that you're interested in.
4b. There are jobs in graphic design for organisations like the highways agency and the Department for Transport, (check the civil service jobs website, but be aware that it's only a list of jobs, they won't always be jobs you're looking for). May be that you can move sideways into a job you're more interested in as you gain skills

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending