Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

So I was looking at BSc Computer Science at Aston university and under the Learning, Teaching and Assessment section it says:

"Assessment is by a combination of written exams, projects and coursework. The proportion of each varies according to the modules chosen but examinations typically comprise around 75% and continuous assessment around 25%."

Just to confirm the 75% isn't coursework? Does coursework go under continuous assessment?

I'm just asking cause 75% for exams seems huge. I would understand something like that for a high ranked university but for Aston it just seems very odd to have a huge percentage for exams. usually it's more towards coursework with mid ranked unis
Spratty
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Usually there are quizzes, weekly tutorials, etc which will contribute a small percentage towards the overall grade of the module. The coursework usually has a deadline so it is not throughout the course of the module, rather a couple weeks. Coursework usually comprises around 25% of the module grade.

Why would you think 75% is a lot for exams? This is standard in a lot of universities. Universities that are lower ranked typically have more coursework to bridge the gap between the standard of applicants and module content.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Spratty)
Usually there are quizzes, weekly tutorials, etc which will contribute a small percentage towards the overall grade of the module. The coursework usually has a deadline so it is not throughout the course of the module, rather a couple weeks. Coursework usually comprises around 25% of the module grade.

Why would you think 75% is a lot for exams? This is standard in a lot of universities. Universities that are lower ranked typically have more coursework to bridge the gap between the standard of applicants and module content.
I mean I'm just looking at a few universities around Aston and most of them have nowhere near that percentage for exams - at least from what I have seen. Most them are either towards coursework or kind of in-between 50/50

I'm thinking as having Aston as one of my options but coming from a btec background and not being best with exams is holding me back. - But at the same time Aston seems like a great uni for Computer Science
Spratty
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I mean I'm just looking at a few universities around Aston and most of them have nowhere near that percentage for exams - at least from what I have seen. Most them are either towards coursework or kind of in-between 50/50

I'm thinking as having Aston as one of my options but coming from a btec background and not being best with exams is holding me back. - But at the same time Aston seems like a great uni for Computer Science
BTEC shouldn't really hold you back as long as you keep focused on module content.
I did a BTEC and got a first class in the first and second year.
Last edited by Spratty; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
BTEC shouldn't really hold you back as long as you keep focused on module content.
I did a BTEC and got a first class in the first and second years.
I mean it varies person by person - I am someone who isn't the best when it comes down to exams. Some find them okay and are able to cope with them. - I'm personally not one of them.

Are you currently studying Computer Science at Aston University? if so what do you think of it?
Spratty
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I mean it varies person by person - I am someone who isn't the best when it comes down to exams. Some find them okay and are able to cope with them. - I'm personally not one of them.

Are you currently studying Computer Science at Aston University? if so what do you think of it?
Yes I am. I'm on placement. It's a great university for Computer Science imo. They do a good job with teaching you object oriented programming. Like all computer science courses you're only as good as the amount of time you put in.

First year is less stressful than the second and third year, however you're still expected to put quite a bit of time into learning Java. We use BlueJ IDE to learn Java in the first term, followed by Eclipse. Don't worry if you don't have any experience with it, you're taught from the very basics. Some knowledge in java beforehand will be a significant advantage.

A lot of people who take this course go on to get jobs quite easily (as well as placements). Around 80% of my year group are currently on placement. There is a lot of support given towards your journey to finding a placement during the second year. If you do decide to take on a placement you gain invaluable experience as well as have a massive advantage when finding jobs.

This course does have a high drop out rate (12% i think) because a lot of people don't take the first year seriously, and fail. If you're serious about programming you'll be fine.
Anonymous #1
Yes I am. I'm on placement. It's a great university for Computer Science imo. They do a good job with teaching you object oriented programming. Like all computer science courses you're only as good as the amount of time you put in.

First year is less stressful than the second and third year, however you're still expected to put quite a bit of time into learning Java. We use BlueJ IDE to learn Java in the first term, followed by Eclipse. Don't worry if you don't have any experience with it, you're taught from the very basics. Some knowledge in java beforehand will be a significant advantage.

A lot of people who take this course go on to get jobs quite easily (as well as placements). Around 80% of my year group are currently on placement. There is a lot of support given towards your journey to finding a placement during the second year. If you do decide to take on a placement you gain invaluable experience as well as have a massive advantage when finding jobs.

This course does have a high drop out rate (12% i think) because a lot of people don't take the first year seriously, and fail. If you're serious about programming you'll be fine.
Thank you very much for providing your view on Aston.

How often would you say you have exams?

I'm really on the verge of placing the as one of my options
Spratty
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for providing your view on Aston.

How often would you say you have exams?

I'm really on the verge of placing the as one of my options
We have exams at the end of each term. So at January and June-July.
Anonymous #1
We have exams at the end of each term. So at January and June-July.
thanks!

you mentioned you are currently on placement year. May I ask where you are doing your placement year at?
Spratty
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
thanks!

you mentioned you are currently on placement year. May I ask where you are doing your placement year at?
Mondelez International.
Anonymous #1
Mondelez International.
what do you do over there?
Spratty
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
what do you do over there?
Data science with Python&R
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
6.94%
They've been reasonable (71)
41.04%
Not feeling great... (45)
26.01%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)
26.01%

Watched Threads