Catriona23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey,I did National 5 last year so I’m happy to help with any questions anyone has!
Oofffffff
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is there any help u could give me so that I’m able let to answer the first question in the prelim/exam which is about glaciers/coasts and idk how to revise for it?? should i memorise how a u shaped valley is formed? idk what its gonna ask me to describe tho, how did u revise for it??
Catriona23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Oofffffff)
Is there any help u could give me so that I’m able let to answer the first question in the prelim/exam which is about glaciers/coasts and idk how to revise for it?? should i memorise how a u shaped valley is formed? idk what its gonna ask me to describe tho, how did u revise for it??
I learn all the formations - I make Model Answers then keep writing them out xx
Oofffffff
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hey has anyone done the prelim yet? Could u pls give tips on what topics to revise?! Thanks
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hey has anyone done the prelim yet? Could u pls give tips on what topics to revise?! Thanks
:wavey: Have merged this into the existing Nat 5 geography thread for this year

General advice would be to:
- know your formations
- know which questions you are going to answer on (as there will be choices of topics to answer on- though you'll almost definitely have only been taught the minimum number needed, which is fine)
- make sure you can read a map- it will come up! (if not in the prelim, in the final exam)
- and mostly- know your case studies!!!
Last edited by Labrador99; 6 days ago
cahctus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
My Nat 5 Geography prelim is January 31st. We studied Health, Environmental Hazards, Glaciers and Coasts, Urban and Rural Landscapes and Weather. Teacher barely went over population but said it will be in the test. Any advice? I thought about getting a textbook and learning it myself, but I’m not sure which one is the best. I have the ‘How to Pass,’ which are not great in my opinion. I though either Brightred or Leckie&Leckie. Or maybe there are better ways to revise, through past papers for example. Do you have any other revision techniques?
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by cahctus)
My Nat 5 Geography prelim is January 31st. We studied Health, Environmental Hazards, Glaciers and Coasts, Urban and Rural Landscapes and Weather. Teacher barely went over population but said it will be in the test. Any advice? I thought about getting a textbook and learning it myself, but I’m not sure which one is the best. I have the ‘How to Pass,’ which are not great in my opinion. I though either Brightred or Leckie&Leckie. Or maybe there are better ways to revise, through past papers for example. Do you have any other revision techniques?
I found that the How to Pass was good for geography (can't comment on the 2nd edition versions for the updated courses though!) but that the bright red/leckie ones went into loads more depth than needed, so wouldn't necessarily say you need to go out to buy another textbook. But that's a personal opinion rather than the consensus, so others will almost definitely disagree!

Past papers are a good choice, and for geography I think that the marking schemes are particularly valuable- they'll tell you pretty much exactly what you need to write for each mark. SQA Understanding Standards (https://www.understandingstandards.o...aphy/national5) is particularly good in that sense, as it has real candidate papers which you can see good (and less good) responses to questions.

Some of the course really is just a case of memorisation (by whatever method best suites you) like for your formations...I found that flashcards and mindmaps worked well for me for geography, but again, it is quite a subjective thing, as what works well for one person won't be as effective for another.

Hope this helps a bit
Oofffffff
Rep:
?
Report 23 hours ago
What are all the formations that I need to learn for glaciation topic ?
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 23 hours ago
What are all the formations that I need to learn for glaciation topic ?
Corrie, truncated spur, pyramidal peak, arête, u-shaped valley
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (7)
9.46%
They've been reasonable (28)
37.84%
Not feeling great... (23)
31.08%
They are TERRIBLE! (16)
21.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise