!AXEL!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
iam in yr 12 and iam thinking of doing a masters in biomedicine or a degree with a placement year in chemical engineering and iam not sure which is worth it, so i would love it if i had some opinions from everyone.
thank you
Tearex
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I dropped out of my Medicinal Chemistry degree but can tell you that Biomedical Science and Chemical Engineering are very different subjects. Going to Open Days and talking to current students to compare the courses is a good starting point, also considering what you hope to gain from the course/where you are headed career wise but importantly what you enjoy most. Biochemistry - an area of the biomedical programme would have been a much better choice for me than Medicinal Chemistry - I loved the labs in Med Chen but the course had a compulsory physical chemistry module that quite literally made me cry daily! So looking at the module breakdown and comparing how you feel about them is a good shout too.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by !AXEL!)
iam in yr 12 and iam thinking of doing a masters in biomedicine or a degree with a placement year in chemical engineering and iam not sure which is worth it, so i would love it if i had some opinions from everyone.
thank you
Biomedicine and chemical engineering are really quite fundamentally different. Do you want to study a medical or science subject, or engineering?
!AXEL!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Smack)
Biomedicine and chemical engineering are really quite fundamentally different. Do you want to study a medical or science subject, or engineering?
iam actually interested in biomedicine more but still have a slight interest in chemical engineering. i have read on various websites that biomedicine does get u far and a PhD in it is the best way to get a good job in that field, but a chemical engineer on the other hand have more employability chances and have higher pay compared to biomedicine. so iam stuck as to which i should pick.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by !AXEL!)
iam actually interested in biomedicine more but still have a slight interest in chemical engineering. i have read on various websites that biomedicine does get u far and a PhD in it is the best way to get a good job in that field, but a chemical engineer on the other hand have more employability chances and have higher pay compared to biomedicine. so iam stuck as to which i should pick.
If you are more interested in biomedicine I'd probably stick with that. Could you maybe explain a bit about what it is in chemical engineering that interests you?
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Smack)
If you are more interested in biomedicine I'd probably stick with that. Could you maybe explain a bit about what it is in chemical engineering that interests you?
£££

:laugh:
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi I'm a fourth year chem eng student at UoB. I'd say doing chem eng for the money is a bad idea. It's a difficult degree and you'll be very burnt out after 5 years of chemical engineering if you don't even care about the degree, I can promise you that.

I'd say go to an open day and find out more about both courses and see what interests you.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...ays/index.aspx

Thanks

Harry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (160)
14.45%
I'm not sure (48)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (329)
29.72%
I have already dropped out (32)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (538)
48.6%

Watched Threads