If you do an integrated masters degree - do you also get a Bachelors degree?

Watch
loopin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

Sorry for what might seem like a stupid question, I've had one too many mixed responses, and it's getting a little confusing.

I'm a current Year 13 student, and was wondering, if I choose to undertake an integrated masters course (in my case, Computer Science MComp), does this also include obtaining a bachelor's degree?

From what I understand, an integrated masters combines bachelors-degree content with a specialty/focus, so does this mean you first work towards a BSc (etc.) and then your fourth year (or similar) is where you work towards the integrated masters qualification?

If there's any questions, please ask - I'd really appreciate some help with this.

Thanks very much.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by loopin)
Hi there,

Sorry for what might seem like a stupid question, I've had one too many mixed responses, and it's getting a little confusing.

I'm a current Year 13 student, and was wondering, if I choose to undertake an integrated masters course (in my case, Computer Science MComp), does this also include obtaining a bachelor's degree?

From what I understand, an integrated masters combines bachelors-degree content with a specialty/focus, so does this mean you first work towards a BSc (etc.) and then your fourth year (or similar) is where you work towards the integrated masters qualification?

If there's any questions, please ask - I'd really appreciate some help with this.

Thanks very much.
I believe the way it works is you'll be studying modules in Year 1-3 which will give you the sufficient credits to gain a BSc/BA. If you decide to not "cash-out" your credits and graduate at the end of the 3rd year, you will receive the Bachelors.

If you stay for the 4th, thus study a further 120 credits, these credits in combination with your previous 360 credits, will give you the Masters.

So long story short, you'll either get a Bachelors if you leave at the end of Year 3 or a Masters if you leave at the end of Year 4.

You do NOT get a Bachelors AND Masters if you complete Year 4.
loopin
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLeafez)
I believe the way it works is you'll be studying modules in Year 1-3 which will give you the sufficient credits to gain a BSc/BA. If you decide to not "cash-out" your credits and graduate at the end of the 3rd year, you will receive the Bachelors.

If you stay for the 4th, thus study a further 120 credits, these credits in combination with your previous 360 credits, will give you the Masters.

So long story short, you'll either get a Bachelors if you leave at the end of Year 3 or a Masters if you leave at the end of Year 4.

You do NOT get a Bachelors AND Masters if you complete Year 4.
I see, thanks for letting me know.

And, would you know if the integrated masters is any different to a applying for a postgraduate course once obtaining a BSc?
As in, would you know if they both hold the same level of quality?
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

And, would you know if the integrated masters is any different to a applying for a postgraduate course once obtaining a BSc?
If you do an integrated masters, SFE will NOT fund you to do a stand-alone masters, since you’ll already have a masters level qualifications.

There are pros and cons to having an integrated and separate masters, so it’s really worth a proper think about what you want.

The “masters” year of an integrated Masters is usually 120 credits over 2 semesters, while a standalone masters is 180 credits over 3 semesters.

Luckily, many Unis let you switch between the BSc and MSci so you have a couple years into uni to really decide.
Last edited by CTLeafez; 1 year ago
phys314
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I've applied this year for an integrated masters for physics. As has already been mentioned, the first couple years are exactly the same. Because of this - at least this is what I've been told by the unis I've applied for - you can change fairly easily between the two up to a certain point. I've applied for the integrated masters because apparently it's easier to change down to a BSc than to change up. I can then graduate with the BSc and apply to do a masters at another uni if it appears there is a better place for it, or keep going and get the integrated masters. So personally I'd say go for the masters and then figure out later. Also, according to one of the unis I spoke to, there is a threshold grade you need to meet to be able to do the integrated masters, otherwise you automatically have to do the BSc.

I would just like to mention I've applied for all Scottish unis and I think its the same in England, but I'd check before taking my word for it
loopin
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLeafez)
If you do an integrated masters, SFE will NOT fund you to do a stand-alone masters, since you’ll already have a masters level qualifications.

There are pros and cons to having an integrated and separate masters, so it’s really worth a proper think about what you want.

The “masters” year of an integrated Masters is usually 120 credits over 2 semesters, while a standalone masters is 180 credits over 3 semesters.

Luckily, many Unis let you switch between the BSc and MSci so you have a couple years into uni to really decide.
(Original post by phys314)
I've applied this year for an integrated masters for physics. As has already been mentioned, the first couple years are exactly the same. Because of this - at least this is what I've been told by the unis I've applied for - you can change fairly easily between the two up to a certain point. I've applied for the integrated masters because apparently it's easier to change down to a BSc than to change up. I can then graduate with the BSc and apply to do a masters at another uni if it appears there is a better place for it, or keep going and get the integrated masters. So personally I'd say go for the masters and then figure out later. Also, according to one of the unis I spoke to, there is a threshold grade you need to meet to be able to do the integrated masters, otherwise you automatically have to do the BSc.

I would just like to mention I've applied for all Scottish unis and I think its the same in England, but I'd check before taking my word for it
Thank you both for your answers. I'm most likely to go for the integrated masters course. I just didn't want to go for the integrated course if it was incredibly less valuably in comparison to graduating with a BSc and then re-applying for a postgrad option.

Thanks again.
phys314
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you both for your answers. I'm most likely to go for the integrated masters course. I just didn't want to go for the integrated course if it was incredibly less valuably in comparison to graduating with a BSc and then re-applying for a postgrad option.

Thanks again.
No problem! Good luck with your application!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads