6.02%
Someone else (explain below!) (7)
8.43%
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've suggested some likely candidates / popular choices in the poll.

Labour supporters, do you think anyone would be able to lead you back into power in 2024?

People less supportive of Labour, who do you fear most, and who would you most like to face?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tony Blair. 😛
Ruhab Dabeer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I've suggested some likely candidates / popular choices in the poll.

Labour supporters, do you think anyone would be able to lead you back into power in 2024?

People less supportive of Labour, who do you fear most, and who would you most like to face?
Where's my name?? in the poll
Possibly this
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally I'm in favour of Jess Phillips. She's neither hard left or social democrat, which still gives a strong left wing option without some of the same criticisms Corbyn had to take on.

Also I feel that politics nowadays is increasingly about personality. That's what has propelled Johnson to the forefront of public conscience for so long and Jess Phillips seems to really the only person with personality to rival that of Boris. Certainly far more than Rebecca Long-Bailey.
yaseen1000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Keir Stammer is my favorite at the moment , he seems like the most able to reunite the party
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yvette Cooper would've been my preference for the next Labour leader because as Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee and in her former role as Shadow Home Secretary, she's proven how robust and ruthless she can be when scrutinising the Government. However, her majority in the recent General Election is very slim and if somehow she became the next leader, she's definitely susceptible to losing her seat just like how Jo Swinson did.

Instead Keir Starmer is my preference for the next Labour leader although I don't necessarily agree with all of his political views. However, he's definitely robust and ruthless and as a candidate who doesn't really align himself to the left of the party or the centre, he's probably the best candidate in uniting the party and he would really really give the Tories a real run for their money. They would definitely prefer Becky Long-Bailey as they think she's similar to Jeremy Corbyn.
Ruhab Dabeer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Yvette Cooper would've been my preference for the next Labour leader because as Chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee and in her former role as Shadow Home Secretary, she's proven how robust and ruthless she can be when scrutinising the Government. However, her majority in the recent General Election is very slim and if somehow she became the next leader, she's definitely susceptible to losing her seat just like how Jo Swinson did.

Instead Keir Starmer is my preference for the next Labour leader although I don't necessarily agree with all of his political views. However, he's definitely robust and ruthless and as a candidate who doesn't really align himself to the left of the party or the centre, he's probably the best candidate in uniting the party and he would really really give the Tories a real run for their money. They would definitely prefer Becky Long-Bailey as they think she's similar to Jeremy Corbyn.
So who will win???
yaseen1000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruhab Dabeer)
So who will win???
Hopefully Keir Starmer, that’s who I will be voting for
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As someone who isn't a Labour voter, from that list Keir Starmer is the person I'm most likely to vote for. He has an impressive background and comes across relatively well (to me), and statesman like.

However, he needs to reinvent himself. His political career has, so far, been based on Remain, which is no longer relevant. And, maybe Labour will decide that another north London MP is unlikely to win back the support of the north of England. I don't know how popular he is with Momentum either, who will likely ultimately decide who wins.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
big sam allardyce
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
big sam allardyce
Well Big Sam is reliable for picking teams up when they're down, and Labour are way dooooown.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Well Big Sam is reliable for picking teams up when they're down, and Labour are way dooooown.
He will get them to mid table
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am not a Labour supporter.

We need an Opposition to the worst Prime Minister of all time (or at least the last 200 years), so that we get a decent deal with the EU and Mr Johnson is challenged in Parliament. The Liberal Democrats are a very small group, the SNP are understandably focused on getting IndyRef 2, and Caroline Lucas cannot oppose all by herself.

A woman as Labour leader would annoy Mr Johnson who has little respect for women, but most importantly I think it needs to be someone that is not a Corbynista and represents somewhere outside the M25.

I'll leave others to choose who it should be.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruhab Dabeer)
So who will win???
Not a fortune teller but I once correctly predicted the number of seats each party won in the MHoC General Election. Anyways, the bookies are saying that Keir Starmer is the clear favourite to win the contest though he hasn't formally announced that he's standing, only Thornberry, Lewis and Phillips have so far.
Pencil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Somebody who wants Brexit.

Otherwise, they don't represent the views of the majority of the working class and therefore, will not win a general election.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Lisa Nandy is declaring tomorrow too, and, to stay on brand, doing so in the Wigan Post.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Rebecca Long-Bailey
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As a Tory there is nobody declared so far that I think can even win the 67 seats to betray the union in coalition, let alone produce a performance better than Thatcher or Cameron to take them into majority government.

The two best candidates though are probably Sir Kier Starmer and Jess Phillips although they both have severe flaws.

Both are about right politically in being Miliband social democrats rather than Momentum candidates and both are reasonably strong personalities able to make a speech however...

- Starmer has made a massive strategic mistake in backing remain so hard. He may as well walk into seats like Hemsworth in 2024 naked in an EU flag and will be easy to paint as the person who visibly led the charge to betray northern voters. He'd do well in the south but I doubt he'd reach 270.

- Phillips is overly emotional and can be whiny. Passion is good but expressed badly it can look like your not sufficiently statesmanlike.

On balance I think both could beat Milibands 231 (probably not the Corbyn 262) but I'd probably prefer to face Kier over Phillips.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hmm... no idea.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pencil)
Somebody who wants Brexit.
Otherwise, they don't represent the views of the majority of the working class and therefore, will not win a general election.
Studies show that about 70% of Labour voters support Remain, so the new leader must be unequivocally Remain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (78)
13.98%
1 (72)
12.9%
2 (70)
12.54%
19.53%
22.04%
19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise