8.24%
SteveyStack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I am not a Labour supporter.

We need an Opposition to the worst Prime Minister of all time (or at least the last 200 years), so that we get a decent deal with the EU and Mr Johnson is challenged in Parliament. The Liberal Democrats are a very small group, the SNP are understandably focused on getting IndyRef 2, and Caroline Lucas cannot oppose all by herself.

A woman as Labour leader would annoy Mr Johnson who has little respect for women, but most importantly I think it needs to be someone that is not a Corbynista and represents somewhere outside the M25.

I'll leave others to choose who it should be.
No evidence for this yet. And the worst PM in 200 years would take some doing. I would suggest you look at what Johnson has done so far because he’s not been amazing but not of them ever do amazingly well
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Studies show that about 70% of Labour voters support Remain, so the new leader must be unequivocally Remain
For the love of the lord when are you going to stop peddling this nonsense and wake up? :egg: pull yourself out the dark hole and see some reality. I'd of thought you'd of been in favour of Sir Keir Starmer?

Saracen's Fez I was quite impressed with Jess Phillips, however I believe the next leader must be someone who has been less vocal on brexit, we simply cannot continue with the old never ending arguments.
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 3 weeks ago
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
For the love of the lord when are you going to stop peddling this nonsense and wake up? :egg: pull yourself out the dark hole and see some reality.
Erm, that is a demonstrable fact. Why do you think it is "nonsense"? You may think that Labour should ignore the wishes of the majority of their supporters, but that's a different issue.

I'd of thought you'd of been in favour of Sir Keir Starmer?
Erm, profile pic? Do you even know who he is?
(And its "I'd have thought you'd have been...". It's not as if you haven't been told before)

we simply cannot continue with the old never ending arguments.
Why not? When a party wins an election, do you think the other parties should simply change their policies to match those of the winners?

I see the holiday hasn't improved your logic any.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Erm, that is a demonstrable fact. Why do you think it is "nonsense"? You may think that Labour should ignore the wishes of the majority of their supporters, but that's a different issue.

Erm, profile pic? Do you even know who he is?
(And its "I'd have thought you'd have been...". It's not as if you haven't been told before)

Why not? When a party wins an election, do you think the other parties should simply change their policies to match those of the winners?

How often do you get out into the real world, outside your comfortable middle to upper class bubble?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
big sam allardyce
Not corrupt enough for politics.
SteveyStack
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)

I think the poster is evidently suggesting that labour are out of touch with the country and need to return to the centre ground and accept brexit will happen so they can appease traditional voters who deserted them last time.

I would agree with another poster that you are probably in a middle-upper class bubble and don’t realise this though
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How often do you get out into the real world, outside your comfortable middle to upper class bubble?
What has that got to do with any of the questions I asked you?
Still avoiding giving replies, I see. Santa didn't bring you any critical ability then.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SteveyStack)
I think the poster is evidently suggesting that labour are out of touch with the country and need to return to the centre ground and accept brexit will happen so they can appease traditional voters who deserted them last time.

I would agree with another poster that you are probably in a middle-upper class bubble and don’t realise this though
The middle ground does not necessarily require a pro-Brexit stance. As I already pointed out, the vast majority of Labour supporters are pro-Remain and in the last election more people voted for parties with a Remain agenda than for parties with a Leave agenda. It is simply false to claim that in order to attract the popular vote, you must be pro-Brexit.

An unequivocally pro-Remain, moderate Labour Party led by Starmer could easily have won the last election.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
What has that got to do with any of the questions I asked you?
Still avoiding giving replies, I see. Santa didn't bring you any critical ability then.
I take that as "I dont Burton" which fits. Carry on pull grammar up and deluding yourself that remain is the will of the people

(Original post by QE2)
An unequivocally pro-Remain, moderate Labour Party led by Starmer could easily have won the last election.
You really dont get it, do you?

Starmer could of been the right man, he ticks the boxes but unfortunately his credibility has been wrecked in the north of England, completely because of his brexit stance, he is part of what made us a laughing stock.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I take that as "I dont Burton" which fits.
Your reply had nothing to do with my question. What I do has no influence on those issues. You were clearly just avoiding having to answer.
If it makes that much difference to you, I A) get out regularly, or B) never get out. Pick which one suits you the best and then answer my original questions.

Carry on pull grammar up
As long as you keep mangling the English language, I'll keep correcting you.

and deluding yourself that remain is the will of the people
Oh the irony!
I have never claimed that Remain is The Will of The People. In fact, I have repeatedly stated that there is no "will of the people" because "the people" are split over what they want. It is you who keeps insisting that around 50% represents 100%. It really isn't rocket science. Even you should be able to grasp it.

You really dont get it, do you?
Careful with that irony. It burns.

Starmer could of been the right man, he ticks the boxes but unfortunately his credibility has been wrecked in the north of England, completely because of his brexit stance, he is part of what made us a laughing stock.
That is your opinion. However, the polls show that even in the north, the majority of Labour voters stuck with Labour, and it is also clear that many working class voters were swayed by the media's incessant anti-Corbyn propaganda campaign. I spoke to Labour voters who refused to vote for Corbyn because of his "IRA connections" or his "support for Islamic terrorists", not because of his stance on Brexit.

Also bear in mind that come the next election, many Labour Leavers will have released that Brexit has ****ed them up and they want back in to the EU.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
The middle ground does not necessarily require a pro-Brexit stance. As I already pointed out, the vast majority of Labour supporters are pro-Remain and in the last election more people voted for parties with a Remain agenda than for parties with a Leave agenda. It is simply false to claim that in order to attract the popular vote, you must be pro-Brexit.

Your logic is flawed in FPTP where geopolitics matters more than votes.

Even if there was a hypothetical majority for remain in the UK right now you ignore fatally the fact that the majority of English constituencies still voted leave and they are the ones that matter to Labour.

You may well point out that actual Labour voters also voted remain but as even 2017 should have taught you, there are not enough non-Tories for you to win realistically. You need to make leave voters and Tories vote for you.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Your reply had nothing to do with my question. What I do has no influence on those issues. You were clearly just avoiding having to answer.
If it makes that much difference to you, I A) get out regularly, or B) never get out. Pick which one suits you the best and then answer my original questions.

As long as you keep mangling the English language, I'll keep correcting you.

Oh the irony!
I have never claimed that Remain is The Will of The People. In fact, I have repeatedly stated that there is no "will of the people" because "the people" are split over what they want. It is you who keeps insisting that around 50% represents 100%. It really isn't rocket science. Even you should be able to grasp it.

Careful with that irony. It burns.

That is your opinion. However, the polls show that even in the north, the majority of Labour voters stuck with Labour, and it is also clear that many working class voters were swayed by the media's incessant anti-Corbyn propaganda campaign. I spoke to Labour voters who refused to vote for Corbyn because of his "IRA connections" or his "support for Islamic terrorists", not because of his stance on Brexit.

Also bear in mind that come the next election, many Labour Leavers will have released that Brexit has ****ed them up and they want back in to the EU.
Your original questions were horse droppings, why do I think its nonsense? Because it is it is total nonsense, it dont deserve an answer, labour leave voters in heavy leave consistenties hold a balance in some cases. I told you this before the election, who was right? Also we are starting from a losing position, we need more voters and those are going to come from mainly leave voters in majority leave areas, it's really not rocket science. :damnmate:

Then some rammel about grammar, I really don't care mate its funny to me.

Then your third all I'll say is - News flash, labour need to change to win. The first rule of politics is win, if we dont win we cant do anything.

There answered your stupid questions, but they was pointless and all that BS above is rammel as well. You have been babbling to all and sundry that brexit is undemocratic and remain is the most popular result and thus is the "real" will if the people. Can you even keep up with the dribble you talk?

The polls :rolleyes: until we address Scotland and win back our heartlands we will forever be a protest party. I dont want labour a protest party, that's why we need a more centre ground person more who has more historic distance from brexit. Unfortunately labour still seem to be in the denial, anger stage of grief, more interested in what's between the new leaders legs and where they live, if you listen to most of them. But thinking about it, most of that group are the hard core deluded remainers, like you :rofl:

Are you even a member of our party?
Possibly this
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't really think it should matter whether the next leader is leave or remain. They're there to be contending an election in 2024. If Brexit is still a topic of debate as to whether we should leave or not by 2024, with Boris' big ol' majority, something has seriously ****ed up.

Brexit won't really be a relevant issue to the Labour Party in the long term. The debate fairly soon will be of how it is done rather than whether it is done. Bre-entry* (*name pending review) may be a discussion point but won't be so all-consuming as the brexit debate.

These are the terms which the next leader will play under whether they personally wanted to leave or remain.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
Not corrupt enough for politics.
Ha!
Ruhab Dabeer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your original questions were horse droppings, why do I think its nonsense? Because it is it is total nonsense, it dont deserve an answer, labour leave voters in heavy leave consistenties hold a balance in some cases. I told you this before the election, who was right? Also we are starting from a losing position, we need more voters and those are going to come from mainly leave voters in majority leave areas, it's really not rocket science. :damnmate:

Then some rammel about grammar, I really don't care mate its funny to me.

Then your third all I'll say is - News flash, labour need to change to win. The first rule of politics is win, if we dont win we cant do anything.

There answered your stupid questions, but they was pointless and all that BS above is rammel as well. You have been babbling to all and sundry that brexit is undemocratic and remain is the most popular result and thus is the "real" will if the people. Can you even keep up with the dribble you talk?

The polls :rolleyes: until we address Scotland and win back our heartlands we will forever be a protest party. I dont want labour a protest party, that's why we need a more centre ground person more who has more historic distance from brexit. Unfortunately labour still seem to be in the denial, anger stage of grief, more interested in what's between the new leaders legs and where they live, if you listen to most of them. But thinking about it, most of that group are the hard core deluded remainers, like you :rofl:

Are you even a member of our party?
Bro QE2 is a monster in arguing
Watch OUT!!!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just looking at the challenge and the new boundaries will put labour at a 174 base with 240 required just for a Lab-Lib-SNP government so about 70 seats.

That is something only Blair has done for Labour in 97 albeit Churchill, Heath and Cameron did it in 50, 70 and 10.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Your logic is flawed in FPTP where geopolitics matters more than votes.
Wrong, because I did not claim that Remain agenda parties won more seats, merely that they gained more votes, which is true.

Even if there was a hypothetical majority for remain in the UK right now you ignore fatally the fact that the majority of English constituencies still voted leave and they are the ones that matter to Labour.
Again, you are conflating two different issues.

You may well point out that actual Labour voters also voted remain but as even 2017 should have taught you, there are not enough non-Tories for you to win realistically. You need to make leave voters and Tories vote for you.
The Labour Party should be election a Leader and formulating policies in the best interests of the nation. The idea is that people will the vote for them for that reason. It is nonsense to say that just because the Tories won on a platform of nationalism, xenophobia, misinformation and smear tactics, Labour should go down the same road.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your original questions were horse droppings, why do I think its nonsense? Because it is it is total nonsense
Lol! You can't even come up with a reasonable excuse for your failure. :rofl:
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruhab Dabeer)
Bro QE2 is a monster in arguing
Watch OUT!!!
Lol I think I can handle him
Ruhab Dabeer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lol I think I can handle him
Okay but his persistence level is unimaginable
I wish u good luck in your debating
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (4)
44.44%
My career doesn't need one (1)
11.11%
I'm sick of studying (2)
22.22%
I can't find a course I want to do (0)
0%
I don't know enough about them (0)
0%