Who should be the next leader of the Liberal Democrats? Watch

Poll: Who do you want as Lib Dem leader?
Ed Davey (3)
30%
Layla Moran (4)
40%
Christine Jardine (0)
0%
Alistair Carmichael (1)
10%
Daisy Cooper (1)
10%
Someone else (explain below!) (1)
10%
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I've suggested some likely candidates / popular choices in the poll.

Lib Dem supporters, who would stand the best chance of gaining you seats next time? (And where would you gain those seats and from whom?)

People less supportive of the Lib Dems, is there anyone you fear would eat into your party's support? Is there anyone you think would help your cause?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This might be me being cynical, but Layla Moran announced she was pansexual today. Could she be trying to get some media attention for a leadership run?

I highly doubt this is the case before I’m assassinated.
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The only one I'd half recognise on TV is Ed Davey, and he comes across badly (to me, anyway). Of the rest, I haven't heard of any of them except Layla Moran, and that's only because of a news story from today.

Not keen on the current party but I do think the Lib Dems have a place in UK politics. So I'll go with 'someone else', in the hope they might drag the party back to some kind of relevance and drop the boring old anti-Brexit yapping.
the beer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
This might be me being cynical, but Layla Moran announced she was pansexual today. Could she be trying to get some media attention for a leadership run?

Certainly makes for better search results, all that domestic violence stuff has moved down.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't know enough about any of the above candidates to really comment on them accurately. And given the position that the Lib Dems are currently in, I think it's quite unlikely we'll hear much about them (either as a party, or the individual candidates) in the media either. It's going to be very difficult for the Lib Dems to get out of the position they have sunken into.

Just like Labour, before they choose a leader, they need to decide what exactly it is that they stand for as a party. In this much more divisive era of politics, being a protest vote for those who can't stand either Labour or Tory isn't a viable option, as they just get squeezed out, because people don't want to waste their vote and risk the other guy that they really hate getting in. The stakes are higher now than in the 90's and 2000's when parties were broadly the same boring centrist mush.

Remain is dead. They staked everything they had on it in the 2019 election it got them nowhere; they can't stand on that. Now that we're in 2020, Remain and Leave are no longer relevant - they're yesteryear's issues.

The position they take, I think, will be dictated mainly by the Tories, but also Labour to a lesser extent. If the Tories decide to become a populist party then that leaves open a space in the centre, maybe slight centre-right, to exploit. I reckon this could be appealing to many young professionals and middle-class people. If Boris goes for the centre then I don't know what their credible options are. Likewise, if Labour stays where they're at, that leaves open the centre-left.

Onto the candidates, starting with Ed Davey. If they want to occupy the centre-left ground, he's too tarnished by his years in the Coalition, like Jo was. However, he probably does have the most experience out of all the candidates in government.

Layla Moran: don't know much about her, but from what I've seen of her from TV appearances she does seem quite capable. Her coming out as pansexual was in the news today, and while I really do not care about anyone's sexuality, how will that come across to the ordinary voter, who likely doesn't even know what pansexual means? Will it sound really pretentious, or is she purposefully aiming at the younger generation, who are far more interested in this kind of thing?

I know of Christine Jardine because she ran to be my local MP in 2015. I voted for her then, but she lost to Alex Salmond. She is now an MP in Edinburgh. Although I did vote for her to be my MP, I am not sure about her qualities as a leader; I just haven't seen or heard enough of her to make such an assessment. As a Scottish MP, she is also vulnerable to an SNP tsunami, of the kind that swept away Jo Swinson (twice), Charles Kennedy, Danny Alexander, and probably others too.

Alistair Carmichael is also at risk of losing his seat in an SNP surge. And they can't really move him to a safe Lib Dem seat as the Lid Dems don't really have any heartlands... and if they move him out of Orkney and Shetland, they might lose that seat anyway. He does have quite a lot of political experience, though.

I do not know enough about Daisy Cooper to comment.

Due to the depletion of Lib Dem MPs, they unfortunately do not have many options to choose from. There is no "obvious" choice out of the above candidates.
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Who cares?
Kitten in boots
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)

Your cynicism is misplaced. She announced it after discovering some gutter journalists were about to publicly out her.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
Your cynicism is misplaced. She announced it after discovering some gutter journalists were about to publicly out her.
If this is the case I’ll do the honourable thing and take my comment back.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I put Charmichael as a safe pair of hands and because I think a Scottish leader would be advantageous but as a Tory I think this batch of MP's is the least threatening and a new low for the Liberal Democrats.

We should remember they did increase vote share by 4% though so one imagines they'll at least have local election success.
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
Wasn't it because her new partner was caught out doing some fraud for the party?
Last edited by the beer; 3 weeks ago
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Davey should have been the leader last time around.. far more fierce and capable then swinson. Apointing her over him proved a disaster, and I can't think it would have been any worse with him in charge.

Layla would be a disaster because she is a corbynite in lib-dem clothing. The only thing that differentiated her from the Labour party previously was her backing of the Lib dems remain options. Now that has gone, what are her ideological differences from the left of the labour party? Ive seen her quite a few times on TV, and as far as I can see she is ideologically identical.

If she pushes the lib dems into as liberal a dirrection as she would like, they will loose their distinction from the Labour party and struggle to make any ground in the areas they actually could and should expand into (the liberal-tory south).

The others I don't know by name, and I'm not going to google.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They all sound fairly incompetent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (214)
52.97%
No (190)
47.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed