charlie 246
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, I'm in the middle of writing my Coursework for history and I've decided to focus on the French Revolution, and the causes for said revolution.
I'm just really struggling to find appropriate sources that I can talk about in my response.
Any help or tips would be really appreciated.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by charlie 246)
Hey, I'm in the middle of writing my Coursework for history and I've decided to focus on the French Revolution, and the causes for said revolution.
I'm just really struggling to find appropriate sources that I can talk about in my response.
Any help or tips would be really appreciated.
I just went on google scholar & searched this up, literally dozens of papers & books on the topic (ok if your in school & don't have institutional access to all papers, but im sure you can find enough free to read, and go to library once you have a list of books you want).
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look at other peoples citations...
overview with references here
http://www2.port.ac.uk/special/franc...d,38770,en.pdf

This should get you going:
Baker, K.M. (ed.) The French Revolution and the Creation of Modern Political Culture
(4 vols, Oxford: Elsevier, 1987–94), esp. vol. 1: The Political Culture of the Old Regime,
ed. K.M. Baker (1987); vol. 2, The Political Culture of the French Revolution, ed. C.
Lucas (1988).
Baker, K.M. Inventing the French Revolution: Essays on French Political Culture in the
Eighteenth Century (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990).
Chartier, R. The Cultural Origins of the French Revolution (Durham, NC: Duke
University Press, 1991).
Cobban, A. ‘Historians and the causes of the French Revolution’, in A. Cobban, Aspects
of the French Revolution (London: Jonathan Cape, 1969).
Cobban, A. The Social Interpretation of the French Revolution (2nd edn, Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 1999).
Darnton, R. ‘The high Enlightenment and the low life of literature’, Past and Present,
1971, reprinted in D. Johnson (ed.), French Society and the Revolution (London, 1976),
which also contains important revisionist essays by William Doyle and Colin Lucas.
Darnton, R. The Forbidden Best Sellers of Pre-revolutionary France (New York: W.W.
Norton, 1996).
Doyle, W. The Origins of the French Revolution (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1980,
3rd edn, 1999).
Egret, J., The French PreRevolution, 1787–8 (1962 in French, trans W.D. Camp,
Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1977).
French Historical Studies, vol. 16 (1990) has two useful forums: the first is a debate
between W. Doyle and M. Vovelle on the Revolution’s origins, pp. 743 ff; the second is a
discussion of the work of F. Furet, including contributions from C. Langlois, D. Bien and
D. Sutherland, with the last word being left to Furet himself, all pp. 766 ff.
Furet, F. Interpreting the French Revolution (Paris: Gallimard, 1978, trans E. Forster,
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1981).
Furet, F. The French Revolution, 1770–1814 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996).
Geyl, P. ‘French historians for and against the revolution’, in P. Geyl, Encounters in
History (London: Collins, 1963), pp. 115–87.
Goldstone, J.A, Revolution and Rebellion in the Early Modern World (Berkeley, CA:
University of California Press, 1991).
Hunt, L. Politics, Culture and Class in the French Revolution (Berkeley, CA: University
of California Press, 1984).
Jones, P. (ed.) The French Revolution in Social and Political Perspective (Oxford:
Oxford University Press, 1996).
Kaplan, S.L. Farewell Revolution: The Historians’ Feud, France 1789/1989 (Ithaca,
New York: Cornell University Press, 1995).
Lefebvre, G. The Coming of the French Revolution (trans R.R. Palmer, Princeton, NJ:
Princeton University Press, 1947).
Palmer, R.R. The Age of the Democratic Revolution (2 vols, Princeton, NJ: Princeton
University Press, 1959–64).
Skocpol, T. States and Social Revolutions (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,
1979).
Taylor, G.V. ‘Types of capitalism in eighteenth-century France’, English Historical
Review, 79 (1964): 478–97.
Taylor, G.V. ‘Non-capitalist wealth and the origins of the French Revolution’, American
Historical Review, 72 (1966–7): 469–96, 491.
Van Kley, D.K. (ed.) The French Idea of Freedom: The Old Regime and the Declaration
of Rights of 1789 (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1994).
charlie 246
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by mnot)
Look at other peoples citations...
overview with references here
http://www2.port.ac.uk/special/franc...d,38770,en.pdf

This should get you going:
Baker, K.M. (ed.) The French Revolution and the Creation of Modern Political Culture
(4 vols, Oxford: Elsevier, 1987–94), esp. vol. 1: The Political Culture of the Old Regime,
ed. K.M. Baker (1987); vol. 2, The Political Culture of the French Revolution, ed. C.
Lucas (1988).
Baker, K.M. Inventing the French Revolution: Essays on French Political Culture in the
Eighteenth Century (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990).
Chartier, R. The Cultural Origins of the French Revolution (Durham, NC: Duke
University Press, 1991).
Cobban, A. ‘Historians and the causes of the French Revolution’, in A. Cobban, Aspects
of the French Revolution (London: Jonathan Cape, 1969).
Cobban, A. The Social Interpretation of the French Revolution (2nd edn, Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 1999).
Darnton, R. ‘The high Enlightenment and the low life of literature’, Past and Present,
1971, reprinted in D. Johnson (ed.), French Society and the Revolution (London, 1976),
which also contains important revisionist essays by William Doyle and Colin Lucas.
Darnton, R. The Forbidden Best Sellers of Pre-revolutionary France (New York: W.W.
Norton, 1996).
Doyle, W. The Origins of the French Revolution (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1980,
3rd edn, 1999).
Egret, J., The French PreRevolution, 1787–8 (1962 in French, trans W.D. Camp,
Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1977).
French Historical Studies, vol. 16 (1990) has two useful forums: the first is a debate
between W. Doyle and M. Vovelle on the Revolution’s origins, pp. 743 ff; the second is a
discussion of the work of F. Furet, including contributions from C. Langlois, D. Bien and
D. Sutherland, with the last word being left to Furet himself, all pp. 766 ff.
Furet, F. Interpreting the French Revolution (Paris: Gallimard, 1978, trans E. Forster,
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1981).
Furet, F. The French Revolution, 1770–1814 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996).
Geyl, P. ‘French historians for and against the revolution’, in P. Geyl, Encounters in
History (London: Collins, 1963), pp. 115–87.
Goldstone, J.A, Revolution and Rebellion in the Early Modern World (Berkeley, CA:
University of California Press, 1991).
Hunt, L. Politics, Culture and Class in the French Revolution (Berkeley, CA: University
of California Press, 1984).
Jones, P. (ed.) The French Revolution in Social and Political Perspective (Oxford:
Oxford University Press, 1996).
Kaplan, S.L. Farewell Revolution: The Historians’ Feud, France 1789/1989 (Ithaca,
New York: Cornell University Press, 1995).
Lefebvre, G. The Coming of the French Revolution (trans R.R. Palmer, Princeton, NJ:
Princeton University Press, 1947).
Palmer, R.R. The Age of the Democratic Revolution (2 vols, Princeton, NJ: Princeton
University Press, 1959–64).
Skocpol, T. States and Social Revolutions (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,
1979).
Taylor, G.V. ‘Types of capitalism in eighteenth-century France’, English Historical
Review, 79 (1964): 478–97.
Taylor, G.V. ‘Non-capitalist wealth and the origins of the French Revolution’, American
Historical Review, 72 (1966–7): 469–96, 491.
Van Kley, D.K. (ed.) The French Idea of Freedom: The Old Regime and the Declaration
of Rights of 1789 (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1994).
Thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (32)
13.73%
Virtual campus tours/open days (51)
21.89%
Live streaming events (22)
9.44%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (23)
9.87%
A uni comparison tool (55)
23.61%
An in-person event when available (50)
21.46%