The Student Room Group

Maths or higher maths?

I'm supposed to start filling out forms for colleges and sixth forms soon, and one of the questions I need to answer is the subjects I would like to choose. I'm planning on choosing art, english literature, french and then either maths or higher maths. At an open evening in a sixth form, a teacher told me that to be able to attend a good university it would be a good decision to choose higher maths however, I've been told it's extremely hard and since maths isn't the main subject I'm focusing on, (art is) I should choose maths. So what should I do?
If math is not relevant to your course than you dont need it. Just focus on your 3 subjects to get more time to focus on getting high grades in your subject and your portfolio if you want do something with art in the future. What are you planning to do at uni?
Original post by PetitePanda
If math is not relevant to your course than you dont need it. Just focus on your 3 subjects to get more time to focus on getting high grades in your subject and your portfolio if you want do something with art in the future. What are you planning to do at uni?

I'm planning to either do fine art or English lit in uni, but colleges are asking to choose four subjects, so maths, I decided, would be one of them.
Original post by hooliganarmy
I'm planning to either do fine art or English lit in uni, but colleges are asking to choose four subjects, so maths, I decided, would be one of them.

Oh if you want to do maths, go for it but if you want to do another subject or it interests you, i suggest going for that instead since you dont need maths. However, you don't need to do "higher maths" if you just want to do maths
Reply 4
I'm supposed to start filling out forms for colleges and sixth forms soon, and one of the questions I need to answer is the subjects I would like to choose. I'm planning on choosing art, english literature, french and then either maths or higher maths. At an open evening in a sixth form, a teacher told me that to be able to attend a good university it would be a good decision to choose higher maths however, I've been told it's extremely hard and since maths isn't the main subject I'm focusing on, (art is) I should choose maths. So what should I do?

if your main is art I don't think you'll need higher maths,
foundation maths is waaaay easier than higher maths.
What qualifications are you referring to that you are planning to be taking? It is unclear what you are referring to with "higher maths" here.
Original post by artful_lounger
What qualifications are you referring to that you are planning to be taking? It is unclear what you are referring to with "higher maths" here.

Higher maths as in further maths. It's an A-level. It's fine though, I have decided I'll be choosing maths, not further maths.
Higher maths as in further maths. It's an A-level. It's fine though, I have decided I'll be choosing maths, not further maths.

A-level Further Maths is an entirely separate qualification to A-level Maths. You cannot study the material in A-level Further Maths without also studying or having studied beforehand the material from A-level Maths, as the A-level Further Maths content builds directly on it. Thus, you don't take A-level Further Maths instead of A-level Maths, you take them together. Hence, "Further".

Universities only care if you've taken A-level Maths if the course specifically requires it, which will be detailed in the entry criteria for the individual course(s) you look at. If the course doesn't state A-level Maths is required, it won't be viewed any more positively or negatively than any other traditionally academic A-level subject (e.g. psychology, politics, history, the sciences or languages, etc, etc). No art/design course or literature course will require A-level Maths, so you're free to take that or any other subject of interest if you so desire, to no detriment for yourself.
Original post by artful_lounger
A-level Further Maths is an entirely separate qualification to A-level Maths. You cannot study the material in A-level Further Maths without also studying or having studied beforehand the material from A-level Maths, as the A-level Further Maths content builds directly on it. Thus, you don't take A-level Further Maths instead of A-level Maths, you take them together. Hence, "Further".

Universities only care if you've taken A-level Maths if the course specifically requires it, which will be detailed in the entry criteria for the individual course(s) you look at. If the course doesn't state A-level Maths is required, it won't be viewed any more positively or negatively than any other traditionally academic A-level subject (e.g. psychology, politics, history, the sciences or languages, etc, etc). No art/design course or literature course will require A-level Maths, so you're free to take that or any other subject of interest if you so desire, to no detriment for yourself.

This was very helpful, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest