Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be starting my second year of college this September, and was wondering if there was a way to get WE in IB, or at least a similar profession. I'm not expecting to do much, but even looking around an IB office where it all happens would be pretty damn interesting.

Anyone had any previous experience with this, or any ideas for WE?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    unless you "know somebody" I'm not sure you going to get anything like that. The best advice I can give you is send off a load of cover letters with you CV attached, to local banks/ financial firms. Explain you situation that you want experience and that you extremely interested in finance. You might click lucky and get something that will look real good on your CV, ready for when you apply to first year internships at uni.

ReputationRep:
    when you say college - i assume you mean 6th form yea?

local banks etc - my friend just put a CV into his local lloyds tsb and he works as a cashier - money good and i suppose its finance related - looks good better than a job in tescos or something.

local acountants and stuff often take young people in for work experience/employ them as general admin staff

and again - if you know someone i suppose its possible to get work experience in IB

The two work experience kids on the UBS equities trading floor that I saw:

1) Nephew of the deputy head of trading
    2) Daughter of the fund manager for one of the largest funds in the UK

ReputationRep:
    I see, so basically unless you know someone you're buggered. Thanks for the replies

ReputationRep:
    It is really hard, but sending out CVs definately gets people interested.
    Also, ask friends of friends of friends! It's all about connections - doesn't matter how far away!

(Original post by jessiecah)
    It is really hard, but sending out CVs definately gets people interested.
    In deleting more emails?

Also, ask friends of friends of friends! It's all about connections - doesn't matter how far away!
    You don't actually believe this do you?

ReputationRep:
    At age 17/18, anything financial is good. I started work in mortgage admin for Nationwide just after I turned 17. Not relevant, but like someone said, it's better than Tesco's.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.