The Student Room Group

Winchester primary education group interview help!!

I have my interview at Winchester for primary education on the 10th. I need to 'bring a published children’s book that I might use as a starting point for learning in the primary classroom' for the group interview. I'm a bit overwhelmed as I don't understand what sort of book I should bring (which age group, which subject, which learning aims should it meet) and what I need to be able to say about the book or what I will actually use the book for on the day? Do I need to plan a lesson around it or what? Please could someone who's done this interview in the past tell me what they actually had to do in the group interview around the book. Thank you!!
Original post by YasudaSayo
I have my interview at Winchester for primary education on the 10th. I need to 'bring a published children’s book that I might use as a starting point for learning in the primary classroom' for the group interview. I'm a bit overwhelmed as I don't understand what sort of book I should bring (which age group, which subject, which learning aims should it meet) and what I need to be able to say about the book or what I will actually use the book for on the day? Do I need to plan a lesson around it or what? Please could someone who's done this interview in the past tell me what they actually had to do in the group interview around the book. Thank you!!

I don't think it matters which age group. You should be creative and think of a book that learning in many subjects could spring from. Have you looked at some primary school websites as they often do this sort of activity.

Pick a book and google but don't just take ideas - make up some yourself.

https://www.teachingideas.co.uk/library/books/the-tiger-who-came-to-tea
You should know something about the National curriculum aims to do this well - that might fix the age group.
Original post by YasudaSayo

Hi I have my interview on the 10th at Winchester as well! My brother and his girlfriend are both primary school teachers and are helping me to prepare, the advice they gave me as find a book that is slightly out of the ordinary that could link to different aspects of the national curriculum, such as weather (seasons) so maybe find a winter themed book as we are in winter, find something that has challenging vocabulary or wording depending on the school year you would wish to teach. I have had a mock interview at my school which was quite helpful but I would say to research the struggles of teaching such as EAL students, obesity and children coming to school without meals etc. If you have a wide reading about different aspects of education then that will impress them! Good luck we can smash it, maybe I will see you Friday, all the best! Beth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending