This discussion is closed.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BosslyGaming)
Rakas21 Baron of Sealand apologies for being a day late with my responses, but there they are.

The government is not fond of Iran having a controlling influence outside of its own borders, it is a situation we are monitoring closely and we will always do what we can to ensure independent nations have their own independent governments and aren't at the behest of another nation. On the second point, the government does not believe that assassinations is the way to resolve issues. We are not at war with Iran and we should not be engaging in offensive conflict. Obviously the government values aid from the United States in all forms - that doesn't make us at their behest and we do not support the assassination of a country's officials, whether it's from Iran or, indeed, the United States. We're on the side of the US and all our relevant organisations, which is why we don't condone any actions, taken by our allies, which raise tension or could provoke conflict. I don't believe we are overreacting because it is our duty to inform the nation of our views following a major international event and the actions which we will take in the aftermath. On the topic of oil, as far as I am aware, we don't currently import a significant amount of our oil from Iran and there is no need for that to change. In general though, we will always do what we can to maintain our oil supplies.

We have encouraged all nationals to leave the areas in question and will continue to do so, providing whatever aid we can to those who need to leave the area. On the topic of diplomatic missions, we will be maintaining our diplomatic connections for as long as possible. We are constantly assessing the situation for diplomatic personnel and will never leave them in harms way in a dangerous situation, but we will be continuing diplomatic discourse as I have clearly indicated is my choice for the approach to this situation. I won't answer the issue of troops personally, that would require discussion between myself, the Defence Secretary and the Prime Minister, and I will let the PM announce any issues of troop deployment. On regional partners, we will obviously work with any nation who wishes to achieve the same peace goals as us - including discussions with organisations such as the UN and NATO.
Given that the Iraqi parliament has just voted to expel all foreign troops, can I assume the bolded to be released soon?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When did I say the US should do nothing? What they should do is use discussion rather than bombs. Stop pulling out of military deals which were intended to safeguard both sides and start to try and fix the mess.
Given the history between the US and Iran, and the continued anti-west rhetoric coming out of Iran, do you think the Iran deal was going to be the solution in the long-term? Don't you think a conflict is inevitable with the current political setup in Iran?
BosslyGaming
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
Given the history between the US and Iran, and the continued anti-west rhetoric coming out of Iran, do you think the Iran deal was going to be the solution in the long-term? Don't you think a conflict is inevitable with the current political setup in Iran?
I don't believe it's right to concede to conflict being inevitable, no.
BosslyGaming
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
Given that the Iraqi parliament has just voted to expel all foreign troops, can I assume the bolded to be released soon?
You'll have to ask those in charge of our troops, the Defence Secretary or the PM.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't believe it's right to concede to conflict being inevitable, no.
Then with the continued anti-west rhetoric from Iran even after the nuclear deal that was supposedly working, how can we say discussions would work?
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When did I say the US should do nothing? What they should do is use discussion rather than bombs. Stop pulling out of military deals which were intended to safeguard both sides and start to try and fix the mess.
Discussions and deals have been going on for 50 years. Iran still sponsors attacks. There needs to be a time when it is realised endless talks does not work. Destroy offensive capability when it is abused and stop future attacks happening.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
For the purpose of outlining the government's position is to support Iranian domination of the Middle East and Israel being removed from the map
I see you've met AngeryPenguin.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I never said we're giving them free reign and I don't appreciate the suggestion. I also think it is wrong to say we aren't involved. If a war broke out we would be one of the first names to be attacked by the opposing side and everyone here knows that. I would say that makes us involved, as we're talking about strikes that move us closer to war (I'm not saying there will definitely be a war before you say that, but you cannot deny that once the US makes their second strike the escalation of conflict has moved very high)
Would we be one of the first targets? Iran would be a little busy defending itself to be thinking about attacking countries over 3000 miles away, if you mean our assets in the region they're already being attacked.

Simple question: when Iran retaliates what is the position of this government?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Debate on this statement has concluded.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed