The Student Room Group

GCSE Religious Studies Buddhism

hi, can I get help with a 12 marker? I need points for this question.

Evaluate this statement.
"In order to achieve enlightenment, it is better to pray at a temple rather than at home".

In your answer you should:
refer to Buddhist teaching
give developed arguments to support this statement
give developed arguments to support a different point of view
reach a justified conclusion

12 MARKS + 3 SPAG

Much appreciated if someone could help me by coming up with some points supported by quotations?
Reply 1
prajñāpāramitā literature says it is better to worship a relic of the Buddha's being or thought, these are usually found at temples.

Take for example the action implored at Aṣṭasāhasrikā prajñāpāramitā 3:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Someone like Nagarjuna thought that worship was stupid and pointless, in comparison. The way to liberation for him is to realise the emptiness of phenomena and thus to abandon metaphysical views.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
In order to attain enlightenment one must see the true nature of reality. This means being free from distractions that you may encounter at home. Monks follow the 10 precepts as the extra 5 help them to avoid being distracted by materialistic things. To attain enlightenment the four noble truths must be understood and hence the eightfold path must be followed. Think about how doing this is easier if you are at a temple and not distracted by things of the outside world. Also consider anicca: understanding that things aren’t permanent so being attached to them isn’t good yet the reason you have things in your home is because you feel a need for them though most of these things are often not necessary. Anatta also links to this as the idea of owning a home suggests you view all these things as your property yet anatta means that there is no soul, there is no true self and if we allow ourselves to be detached from aspects of our daily life we will better realise this. Yet being at home could mean being with your family who may be unable to go with you to the temple for whatever reason and compassion is the key aspect of a Bodhisattva as the aim is to not free yourself from suffering, but also free others as all beings are interconnected. Unlike Theravada, Mahayana Buddhists put more emphasis on not seeing enlightenment as a personal “goal” (which is a little contradictory imo since if you feel others suffering as your own then you will can’t be free from suffering unless you save everyone which makes enlightenment seem unattainable).

This is getting long. Just think about other areas of the Dhamma (the teachings of the Buddha) and make it relate to the question.
Reply 4
I had quotes from when I studied Buddhism last year (not GCSE) but I got rid of all my stuff sadly so can’t remember them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending