M572 – Palestianin Proscription Motion Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
M572 – Palestianin Proscription Motion, Rt Hon SoggyCabbages MP

Using the powers given under the Terrorism Act 2000, this House urges the Secretary of State to add the following organisations to the list of proscribed terrorist organisations:

Palestinian Liberation Organization
Fatah
Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine
Abu Nidal Organization
Palestinian Islamic Jihad
Hamas

The aforementioned organisations have been involved in a brutal conflict against Israel and its Jewish population and thus should be proscribed as dangerous.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
May I just say:

1) aye - it is extremely mystifying that several anti-Semitic groups (Daesh, National Action, al-Qaeda) have been proscribed but certain terrorists get a free pass because they claim to represent the Palestinian people.

2) I can hear the wailing of the Guardian readers, Brightonites, Corbynists, Jew-haters (oops, anti-Zionists) and dole scroungers from here and, you know what?

I don't give a ****.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We should of course be opposed to any group inciting conflict against Jewish people, so it's an emphatic Aye from me.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I confess to not being totally confident in these waters, but I support a two-state solution if possible. On that basis I'm not sure I can support this motion.
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I confess to not being totally confident in these waters, but I support a two-state solution if possible. On that basis I'm not sure I can support this motion.
I would support a two-state solution. The fact of the matter is that the various Palestinian organisations seem to only want one state, and have vetoed every partition plan put forward by Israel.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've looked through the banned list on the gov.uk website and it seems that four of them are already banned.

Abu Nidal Organization
Hamas

The European Union also considers all of the seven other than the PLO to be terrorist organisations. So no idea why we have not formally followed the EU as this was a statement in 2004.
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Remove Fatah from the list and it's an aye. Otherwise no.
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I've looked through the banned list on the gov.uk website and it seems that four of them are already banned.

Abu Nidal Organization
Hamas

The European Union also considers all of the seven other than the PLO to be terrorist organisations. So no idea why we have not formally followed the EU as this was a statement in 2004.
"Fatah is generally considered to have had a strong involvement in terrorism in the past, though unlike its rival Islamist faction Hamas, Fatah is no longer regarded as a terrorist organization by any government" Wiki
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I find the presence of the PLO a bit odd and thus it does raise questions as to the proposer's actual intentions.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I find the presence of the PLO a bit odd and thus it does raise questions as to the proposer's actual intentions.
The PLO won’t sign new EU ‘anti-terror’ clauses that NGO’s now have to agree to before they get some funding.

Why?

Because they are a bit terroristy...
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Abstain.

I have no real objection to the expansion of Israel but Fatah are quite reasonable and Israel are a bit duplicitous to them (I’d be more likely to support a simple annexation of their territory but their current actions are a bit dishonourable).
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It won’t ever happen. Even Jordan and Egypt have largely accepted Israel.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Christ guys this isn’t about the two state solution stop going on about it.

It’s about terrorist organisations.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
It won’t ever happen. Even Jordan and Egypt have largely accepted Israel.
Jordan has completely accepted Israel, and Egypt is almost at the same level. Their borders are now totally free to travel between, and Egypt has also turned against Gaza. I would argue Lebanon also no longer cares much in reality (not that they are in the position to do anything).
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
May I just say:

1) aye - it is extremely mystifying that several anti-Semitic groups (Daesh, National Action, al-Qaeda) have been proscribed but certain terrorists get a free pass because they claim to represent the Palestinian people.

2) I can hear the wailing of the Guardian readers, Brightonites, Corbynists, Jew-haters (oops, anti-Zionists) and dole scroungers from here and, you know what?

I don't give a ****.
I would say the chairman of the PLO being the president of the Palestinian authority is evidence that they represent the Palestinians.
abucha3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, agree with this. I am surprised this was not already the case to be honest.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So because you support a two state solution you oppose the proscription of the terrorists that are stopping a two state solution?

#Logic
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
So because you support a two state solution you oppose the proscription of the terrorists that are stopping a two state solution?

#Logic
In a list that includes the effective government of one of two said states?
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mop

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
In a list that includes the effective government of one of two said states?
Is Palestine really a state though???
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

#Logic
As I say, I'm not totally au fait with the situation.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (200)
67.34%
No (97)
32.66%

Watched Threads