The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year for alevel further maths

Hi, I wanted to ask it's a little late in year13 that I decided to want to study maths at uni. Having done normal maths alevel I'm split between applying to queen mary(only russel to do maths without alevel further maths in london) or take a gap year to study further maths and apply to somewhere like imperial, ucl, lse etc. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by User78657865
Hi, I wanted to ask it's a little late in year13 that I decided to want to study maths at uni. Having done normal maths alevel I'm split between applying to queen mary(only russel to do maths without alevel further maths in london) or take a gap year to study further maths and apply to somewhere like imperial, ucl, lse etc. Any advice?

Hi, what other A Levels are you doing and how have you found A Level maths - what’s your predicted grade?

Ultimately this choice is really down to you and how much you really want to go to one of those unis, and if it’s worth taking a year out for this (with no guarantee of success). There will be some on TSR who will tell you that reputation is irrelevant and you’ll get a good career out of a maths degree anywhere. Then there will be others who wouldn’t think of applying to a “lower reputation” uni. Have you looked into the QM course and how it differs to those other unis? Have you been to different unis and found one you like?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest