GCSE Religious Studies Christianity Beliefs 2019

Watch
blobfish90
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Beliefs section:
q1: which one of the following is not a means of salvation? (1 mark)
a) law
b) grace
c) sin
d) spirit

q2) give two Christian beliefs about Jesus' ascension (2 marks)

q3) Explain two ways in which the belief in the trinity influences Christians today (4 marks)

q4)Explain two Christian beliefs about the causes of sin (5 marks)

q5) "God cannot be loving because people suffer" (15 marks)
Evaluate this statement
Last edited by blobfish90; 1 year ago
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by blobfish90)
Beliefs section:
q1: which one of the following is not a means of salvation? (1 mark)
a) law
b) grace
c) sin
d) spirit

q2) give two Christian beliefs about Jesus' ascension (4 marks)

q3) Explain two ways in which the belief in the trinity influences Christians today (5 marks)

q4) "God cannot be loving because people suffer" (15 marks)
Evaluate this statement
Hey! I'm sorry I can't help you with 2 or 3 since I think I'm doing a different spec, but I can help for 1 and 4. You might want to change up 4 or add a point since I've only ever done 12 markers

- Question 1 I think is c
- Question 4:
"God cannot be loving because people suffer"
1) inconsistent triad, cannot be benevolent and omnipotent and have evil exist. If people suffer, God must be only omnipotent and not loving
2) free will, humans cause suffering through sin, so it is not God but our fault. To take away our free will would not be to love us, so God cannot stop suffering.
3) Augustine has an argument for why suffering exists, and I'm not super sure (it'll come up with a quick Google) but it might be that suffering brings us closer to God and purifies us. If that's not the argument, that's another point, (4?) And you can reference self-flagellation (people who hurt or whip themselves to get closer to God by suffering as Jesus did.
5) it's a weak point, but you can say God is loving because He causes the death of His children to bring them back to Him, showing He's loving.

It's a little rough, but I'm on the train rn. Good luck!
blobfish90
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
Hey! I'm sorry I can't help you with 2 or 3 since I think I'm doing a different spec, but I can help for 1 and 4. You might want to change up 4 or add a point since I've only ever done 12 markers

- Question 1 I think is c
- Question 4:
"God cannot be loving because people suffer"
1) inconsistent triad, cannot be benevolent and omnipotent and have evil exist. If people suffer, God must be only omnipotent and not loving
2) free will, humans cause suffering through sin, so it is not God but our fault. To take away our free will would not be to love us, so God cannot stop suffering.
3) Augustine has an argument for why suffering exists, and I'm not super sure (it'll come up with a quick Google) but it might be that suffering brings us closer to God and purifies us. If that's not the argument, that's another point, (4?) And you can reference self-flagellation (people who hurt or whip themselves to get closer to God by suffering as Jesus did.
5) it's a weak point, but you can say God is loving because He causes the death of His children to bring them back to Him, showing He's loving.

It's a little rough, but I'm on the train rn. Good luck!
Thank you sooo much for this! much much appreciated and i could not have come up with these points alone
MissBookLover25
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1)c)

2) Give two Christian beliefs about Jesus’ Ascension. (2 marks)
• Jesus rose / was carried up into heaven / Jesus met with God in heaven.
• It happened 40 days after the resurrection.
• It marked the end of Jesus’ life on earth.
• It was the point at which the disciples began to worship Jesus.
• At this point the disciples became joyful / were no longer sad.
• Jesus also told the disciples about the gift of the Holy Spirit.
• It showed the truth of Jesus’ promises, e.g. about heaven / proved Jesus was right.
• Jesus rose to heaven so Christians can too

3) Explain two ways in which belief in the Trinity influences Christians today. [4 marks]
• As the Father, God is loving / so Christians may feel loved / so should love others / for example by giving to charity.
• As the Son, God was incarnate / lived and died among humans / so Christians know that God can understand them / can feel pain and misery like we do / so Christians can pray to God for help / they might be influenced to become doctors or nurses.
• As the Spirit, God is a source of spiritual strength / so Christians can feel the Spirit at work in their lives / this strengthens and supports them.
• The Trinity is a mystery / so Christians can accept that there are things that they cannot know about God.
• The Trinity explains many things in the Bible / so Christians can understand events like the voice from heaven at Jesus’ baptism / also they can understand the importance of the Trinity for baptism / in the name of the Father, Son & Spirit.
• Believing that God is Father may influence some to become good fathers.
• For some, the idea of three persons in one confuses them, because it is difficult to understand.

4) ‘God cannot be loving because people suffer.’ (12+3 marks)

Arguments in support
• Christians believe that God is all-loving / a loving God would want to stop all suffering, and has the power to stop suffering, so suffering should not exist.
• If God is loving God would know that humans are weak, and would end suffering.
• This applies to life after death as well – an all-loving and just God would not allow people to suffer after they die / but the Bible teaches that hell is real / eg in the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats.
• Most natural disasters are not caused by anything done by humans and animals / so God should take control of disasters such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and floods, etc.
• God created humans, so why would a loving God create people to suffer?
• It is not just that God allows suffering / the extent of suffering is huge, eg those who are victims of crimes such as rape, murder, arson, theft / why would a loving God allow so much suffering? etc.

Arguments in support of other views
• Humans are responsible for what they do to others / so a lot of suffering is caused by ourselves, and not by God (references to Genesis – humanity being expelled from Eden for disobeying God).
• Having free will means that humanity must have the power and the choice to reject the moral rules in the Bible and cause other people to suffer.
• Despite being all-powerful, God himself suffered on the cross, so if God can suffer, so can we / perhaps God is all-loving but is not all-powerful.
• By suffering on the cross for human salvation, Jesus atoned for human sins in order to release/redeem humanity from suffering and sin: eg John 3:16: ‘God so loved the world that he gave his only Son so that those who believe in him should not perish …’
• One answer to suffering is prayer / as in the Parable of the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1–8).
• Love does not exclude suffering / parents discipline their children through love, to make them better people / doctors can inflict pain on their patients to cure their illnesses.
• A world without suffering would be a toy world / we have to learn through suffering, etc.
• Some see suffering as a test of faith, following which God will reward them with eternal life.
• Our response to suffering is important, eg Jesus from the cross: ‘Forgive them, for they know not what they do.’ (Luke 23:34), etc.
Last edited by MissBookLover25; 1 year ago
liamlarner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what was the 2 marker beliefs and what topics/questions were on practices im panicking doing this paper on wednesday and need to score high or gonna be kicked out of college
blobfish90
Rep:
?
(Original post by liamlarner)
what was the 2 marker beliefs and what topics/questions were on practices im panicking doing this paper on wednesday and need to score high or gonna be kicked out of college
i got you my g im struggling with mocks too so i will hit you up with all the questions over pm
liamlarner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by blobfish90)
i got you my g im struggling with mocks too so i will hit you up with all the questions over pm
thanks g
Aishulko
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello uh i also have my mocks soon and i am freaking out, i know i am very late but anything will do/help at this point i know the islamic and christianity papers were hard and i cant find help anywhere so if you dont mind helping me id greatly appreciate it! my insta is @aishulko if you have it so it would be easier or any other way that is fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (100)
27.1%
England (123)
33.33%
Belgium (29)
7.86%
Germany (40)
10.84%
Spain (8)
2.17%