shobnaam x
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I want to go on to study Law at university but I don’t know whether to pick Law or criminology.
Law at most unis don’t have any subject requirements. Many people say A-level law is boring and that criminology is very interesting and enjoyable. Can’t decideeeee
proudmonkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by shobnaam x)
I want to go on to study Law at university but I don’t know whether to pick Law or criminology.
Law at most unis don’t have any subject requirements. Many people say A-level law is boring and that criminology is very interesting and enjoyable. Can’t decideeeee
TBH you don’t need either law or criminology to do Law at uni. The very best unis eg. Russell group unis will want you to do a much more well regarded subject such as English lit or history.

These subjects have transferable skills such as careful analysis which u can apply to a law degree.
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Choose whatever interest you but look at the course content and how the exam is structured. However, you dont need law or criminology if youre doing it to help you when you do your law degree because it doesnt give you more help than other a levels, which will give you skills applicable in the future. I dont think criminology is an a-level tho
Last edited by PetitePanda; 2 months ago
TurboZX453
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I agree with what @proudmonkey has to say. For Law at my 6th form people studied Economics, History, English-Lit, Geography or even sciences and Maths. I would advise you take atleast one essay subject and choose wisely on the 2 or 3 subjects you want to do.
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Law A-Level is fine. I do it and I think it’s very interesting, particularly Year 2 stuff. Criminology I don’t think is an actual A-Level.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Euphoria101)
Law A-Level is fine. I do it and I think it’s very interesting, particularly Year 2 stuff. Criminology I don’t think is an actual A-Level.
So OP is basically facing a choice between doing 3 A-levels or doing 2 A-levels plus whatever Criminology is counted as. I know what I'd pick...
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by J Papi)
So OP is basically facing a choice between doing 3 A-levels or doing 2 A-levels plus whatever Criminology is counted as. I know what I'd pick...
I think I know what the majority of people would pick
zombie2233
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sociology, politics, economics, philosophy, history, law
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Law would be better than Criminology as not all Unis accept Criminology
sly_southafrican
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anything that isn't visual/creative art, drama or photography (If you are really interested in one of these kinds of subjects and know you can get a great grade then probably take a maximum of 1).

I know that unis have no problem with applicants who take only maths and hard sciences but I would highly, highly advise one essay-based subject to get you into the rhythm of making structured, cohesive arguments. I took History and Law and can confirm they did me a world of good.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by shobnaam x)
If you want to study law at university then then of course you should do A-level law of criminology lol 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (141)
30.06%
No (328)
69.94%

Watched Threads