Muhtasim Ali
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Why most of the politicians have good academic background? Can you not be a mediocre student and still do well in politics?
Young_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Muhtasim Ali)
Why most of the politicians have good academic background? Can you not be a mediocre student and still do well in politics?
You don't need to go to a top school through your entire life to get involved in politics. In Politics, all that really matters is gaining a seat and to do that, you must gain the support of your electorate (the population that can vote in that seat). I don't know of any MPs who have gone around their seat campaigning about how they went to all these great schools and then they get elected. I highly doubt the electorate even look into the schools that their MPs have gone to, only on occasion. In fact, the newest election meant most MPs were educated in state comprehensive schools (51%). The logical reasoning why potential MPs may have the advantage if they have been privately educated is that they were educated better, and even that is a very large generalisation. Many people who go to private school, in my experience, take their lives for granted and just become too lazy to educate themselves on what they should know. Of course, good education will give you an advantage but if you don't have 'good education' then you can always still become heavily involved in politics. Politics is about appealing to your electorate/constituents and you don't need to be incredibly intelligent to do that, just charismatic and knowledgable on what matters to your electorate.
ooz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Corbyn got 2 Es at A-Level and he’s managed to do well for himself. The majority of politicians have good grades and went to uni for something, but I’m sure a lot of them didn’t even go to uni.

It’s good to get plenty in of people from different backgrounds. Nothing could be worse than having 650 people who all did PPE at Oxbridge and worked at a bank representing us.
Pencil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For politicians, I think it's more about respect - to come across as an honest, well-rounded, hard-working, decent human being. Having a spouse and children for example is common among politicians. Maybe people have more respect for family men and women? Having a degree contributes to that overall image of being successful, although it's not really needed. That said, it's important that politicians are good communicators, intelligent and ambitious, so I would imagine it would difficult for somebody with those attributes to leave school and not have a good academic background.
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ooz)
Corbyn got 2 Es at A-Level and he’s managed to do well for himself. The majority of politicians have good grades and went to uni for something, but I’m sure a lot of them didn’t even go to uni.

It’s good to get plenty in of people from different backgrounds. Nothing could be worse than having 650 people who all did PPE at Oxbridge and worked at a bank representing us.
Not that Jeremy Corbyn comes from a poor, underprivileged background of course.
ooz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Not that Jeremy Corbyn comes from a poor, underprivileged background of course.
I’m talking about his academics, not his socioeconomic background
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Normally i'd be tempted to say it helps to not be a moron in politics but then again, the evidence to the contrary is rather conclusive.
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ooz)
I’m talking about his academics, not his socioeconomic background
You also said that it's good to have people from different backgrounds, privilege is just as prevalent when it comes to politics.
Last edited by ColinDent; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (4)
40%
My career doesn't need one (1)
10%
I'm sick of studying (3)
30%
I can't find a course I want to do (0)
0%
I don't know enough about them (0)
0%